Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
To USB or not to USB...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr-Dont-Know-It-All
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: To USB or not to USB...

that's the question! Laughing

Got my MJ last week, hooked it up and does not seem to work right 100% of the time. MJ clearly says not to use a USB hub, yet when I contacted Chat Support they said I should get the powered hub that's sold by Windmill Trading. They gave me a link to one that was apparently outdated and replaced by a newer one in the website.
The store checks out OK and all, but I'm wondering if the tech support person really knew what he was talking about. After, if "their boses" put on the website not to use a hub, why would s/he steer me to one anyway???

And then on this great forum where I've been lurking for too long, I find great stories about powered hubs. Is there anything a powered hub does NOT solve? (apart from my money problems Crying or Very sad )

My particular case: hanging the MJ on a straight P4/1Ghz, USB 1.1, 5 years old. Back then it was a hot thing, now not so. My problem is that calls will often drop, or I get the Music-on-Hold syndrome. Has anyone had those problems solved by a powered USB hub?

Thanks!
taflocks
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject:

dont use an unpowerd hub the power hub should help
but2002
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject:

They say don't use a USB hub, because most are not externally powered and will not work right with the MagicJack. However, if you get a POWERED USB hub, or one that plugs into an external wall, then there's no problem, in fact, it can even FIX a few problems.
Mr-Dont-Know-It-All
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Laughing Laughing Laughing
WOOHOO!

I ordered one of those hubs from the WIndmill store on Thursday, received it yesterday afternoon, hooked it up and it'ls like a new phone!
No more dropped calls, no more Music-on-hold at odd moments!!
At least... so far. But in looking up what others have said about this hub, I'm not too worried. I did talk to the guy and he actually uses MagicJack himself. Seemed real knowledgeable about it too and said that if it didn't fix my problems he'd gladly take it back. Now HTAT's a stand-up business person! I ahve never seen that online online! I read in another thread about a guy called popgory who did a return (guess it didn't work for him) and indeed was pleasntly surprised how easy it was to deal with Windmill.

So, count me in as another happy camper with this hub: http://www.windmilltrading.com/USBProds/4_Port_AC_Powered_USB_Hub_2000mA_HUB-4U2ABK.htm

$25 is worth the expense to make my $20 a year phone service work like charm!!

By the way, if anyone is looking for more info on MJ, I also found great info at wikibooks.org. Just search for MacgicJAck. They also have a link to windmill trading.

Thanks magicjackforum admins for a great resources! You guys solved my problems!!!
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject:

It's clear that many computers suffer from under powered USB ports.

Glad you got it working.
pagemen

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject:

I have no problem to accept any returns if my profit margin is over 100%

sorry for the fact

http://www.techsunny.com/3232380/techsunny-usb-2.0-4-port-hub.html
Popgory
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject:

pagemen wrote:

sorry for the fact

Hmmmm, let us remember to add in the shipping to get the whole picture. Windmill Trading's shipping is about $6 bucks. I chose them after I saw the whole picture.

As it was, the unit was good, the P/S was bad. The customer service was excellent.
pagemen

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject:

The wholesale price should be like $5 for the unit and I don't think its better than any other powered USB hub in the market. Double or triple the price for this non-name brand by self-marketing it as "the ONLY MJ compatible hub", its kinda insane if you ask me.

The 2000mA is also misleading, the adapter can output 2000mA doesn't mean each port can get 2000mA. It's regulated by the internal circuit and 2000mA=500mAx4(ports), nothing fancy here.

Shipping cost is $3 for Techsunny. I don't have any association with either of them, just found the site by searching HUB-4U2A-BK.
kevin8629
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Popgory wrote:
pagemen wrote:

sorry for the fact

Hmmmm, let us remember to add in the shipping to get the whole picture. Windmill Trading's shipping is about $6 bucks. I chose them after I saw the whole picture.

As it was, the unit was good, the P/S was bad. The customer service was excellent.

Wished I would have know this when I order mine. Same hub alot less Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: