magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomato Router QOS with Magicjack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shitfarmer
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Tomato Router QOS with Magicjack Reply with quote

I'm using Tomato's firmware with my router and am trying to get Magicjack working with the built in QOS.

I've typed in ports 5060-5070, TCP/UDP and Transferred 200KB+ and set the class to the highest. When I start Bitcomet and pick-up the phone to dial I'm not seeing any speed decrease in the torrent.

I did a packet sniff on it and I see SIP as Protocol but don't see any ports being used when I'm on the phone.There is an option in the drop-down for sip. I'm wondering if this setting would be more appropriate.

Has anyone gotten Tomato QOS working with Magicjack?

Last edited by shitfarmer on Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
taflocks
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no but i got potato and rutabaga to work just fine.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
rbelk
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gotten dd-wrt QOS working and magicJack is running fine as our only phone service.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomato Router QOS with Magicjack Reply with quote

shitfarmer wrote:
I'm using Tomato's firmware with my router and am trying to get Magicjack working with the built in QOS.

I've typed in ports 5060-5070, TCP/UDP and Transferred 200KB+ and set the class to the highest. When I start Bitcomet and pick-up the phone to dial I'm not seeing any speed decrease in the torrent.

I posted a write up about my experience with MJ and Tomato (QoS):

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21220750-Giving-priority-to-MJ-traffic-Qos-Tomato-firmware

1. You need another outbound rule to set UDP ports 10000 to 20000 to "highest." That's where the actual voice transmission is occurring.
...- If you make a call and look at the QoS -> view graphs you'll see a connection in that port range to an IP address very close to the MJ proxy address.
...- If you resolve the IP to a hostname, you should find that it's "vms1" instead of "proxy1."

2. I only used UDP destination 5070 (not TCP/UDP 5060 to 5070). As far as I could tell, that connection always goes to 5070 (from 5060).

3. I used destination IP addresses instead of ports because I didn't like the idea of making 10k ports "highest" priority. There are risks with hardcoding the two IP addresses. If MJ ever changes their IP addresses, your MJ traffic will fall into the default "low" priority. But, for now I'll accept this risk instead of giving "highest" priority to 10k ports.

I noticed a very definite improvement. I placed a call to the echo phone number (mentioned in the DSLR post above). Started a speed test, and began counting into the phone. When I finally got my QoS rule correct, it made a huge difference when the upload test began. When I had it incorrect, my voice was very choppy (or blocked out all together). When I got it correct, the upload test didn't interfere with my voice at all. And, the upload speed fell from 250kbs to 150kbs.

Also, I don't think incoming QoS has any meaning. I haven't experimented with it yet. But, I don't see how my router can control the bandwidth consumption of other things (sending to me).

Finally, I've found it useful to go into XP's task manager, right click on the magicjack process, and give it "high" priority. That seems to help when I have NetMeeting and other things running (during a conference call).

Mark
shitfarmer
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks Mark. I too don't like the idea of having a huge port range like 10-20K.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: