magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomato

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sugarfoot
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Tomato Reply with quote

I have a Lynksys WRT54GS version 6 router and want to run the Tomato firmware to help enhance my Magicjack. The supported list only lists to version 4. Is this a problem or will Tomato work on version 6 as well?
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomato Reply with quote

Sugarfoot wrote:
I have a Lynksys WRT54GS version 6 router and want to run the Tomato firmware to help enhance my Magicjack. The supported list only lists to version 4. Is this a problem or will Tomato work on version 6 as well?

Try the Tomato support forum at: http://www.linksysinfo.org .

If it doesn't work on your router, try DD-WRT. I personally don't like DD-WRT. It has more features than I need. Its QoS didn't seem as effective. Benchmarks I've seen show it to be slow. But, it does support a huge number of newer routers (something Tomato is failing at).

Mark
pagemen
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

v6 is a stripped down version with only 2MB flash rom, while Tomato requires at least 4MB to run.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series#WRT54GS
Sugarfoot
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: tomato Reply with quote

Ok, since I wasted my money and can't use Tomato, how do I manually set the QOS on this router to enhance Magicjack? I wonder why no one has posted a "How To" sticky with step by step instructions to do this. Or am I overlooking something?
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: tomato Reply with quote

Sugarfoot wrote:
Ok, since I wasted my money and can't use Tomato,

If you just bought it, and if you can return it, exchange it for a WRT54GL. That model works great with Tomato.

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: