Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Top 10% stumped! Phone will not dial #s 1-6 as 1st digit!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greek2U
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Top 10% stumped! Phone will not dial #s 1-6 as 1st digit!!!!

This has been an issue since I got my MJ in August. I have tried different phones, cords, usb ports, dongle, no dongle and I am currently online for over an hour with MJs top 10% with no solution to this issue. When I pick up the phone, the softscreen comes up right away. So it does recognize it. The problem is that it won't recognize numbers 1-6 when I start dialing with those. Really strange!
Any ideas what's going on? Why am I the only one with this issue Mad
Below is the transcript of what they had me go through:
------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------
Please wait for a site operator to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Ned'

Ned: Hello, how may I help you?

Melissa: I have tried a cordless and a traditional phone with a phone cord and both will not register the first few digits that I dial. When I use the softphone the dialing works fine. What could be wrong?

Melissa: I have even plugges the usb cord to my computer without the dongle and nothing has helped.

Ned: Hi

Ned: Please wait while I check that for you

Ned: I have refreshed your magicjack account setting from our server. Please unplug your magicjack now and replug after 2 minutes.

Melissa: Will you stay online while I do this?

Ned: Yes

Ned: I am here

Melissa: thanks

Ned: welcome

Melissa: Ok, I will now plug it back in.

Ned: Please make a test call through your phone jack now

Melissa: Still have the same issue. Softphone works fine but the corded phone will not register the first few numbers for some reason.

Ned: Please click on Menu of dial pad and select Volume/Headset control

Ned: If you are using a headset/speakers, choose "Headset"

Ned: If you are using a phone, choose "Telephone

Ned: Lower the volume for both microphone and speakers to about 1/3 of max

Melissa: The telephone setting was aleady selected. I tried adjusting the volume for the mic and speakers but still no luck.

Ned: Please unplug your phone jack to magicjack and try to use any another phone jack if you have one

Melissa: Still the same issue. Is there a list of phone brands that you have success with?

Ned: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.

Ned: .

Ned: Please click the link to download and run the magicJack upgrade:

Ned: http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/upgrade.exe

Melissa: Still no change to the problem. WHen I pick up the phone, the softscreen comes up right away. So it does recognize it. The problem is that it does not register the select combination of numbers that I use the dial out. For instance it won't recognize 1-6 when I start out with those. Really strange!

Ned: Download and run the Recover Tool from the link below. After running the tool, Unplug your magicJack, wait 30 seconds, and plug it back in.

Ned: http://www.magicjack.com/site/downloads/mjrecover_setup.exe

Melissa: After I ran the utility, a message came up stating No Device Found. Is that ok?

Ned: Please unplug your magicJack, wait 3 minutes, and plug it back into another USB port.

Melissa: ok.

Ned: Thanks

Melissa: Ok, plugged it into another USB port and restarted it and still no change.

Ned: I am transferring you to one of our top 10% agents as rated by our customers. Please hold while I transfer you.

Melissa: Thanks.

Please wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator.

You are now chatting with 'Destiny'

Destiny: Hi, This is Destiny.

Destiny: Would you mind giving me a moment to review your past chat?

Melissa: Go ahead.

Destiny: okay

Destiny: One moment please...

Destiny: Thank you for waiting

Destiny: is your MJ plugged in now

Melissa: yes

Destiny: Run this file {USB Driver scrub file by NexCopy}

Melissa: Ok, done.

Destiny: Now please unplug your MJ

Melissa: What's next?

Destiny: Run this file {USB FixIt file from Microsoft}

Destiny: make sure the MJ is unplugged

Destiny: Just inform me when it's done

Melissa: Do I need to restart my system?

Destiny: No

Melissa: Ok, it's done.

Destiny: Please do not restart your computer

Melissa: ok

Destiny: Then please wait for another 2 minutes and plug in back your MJ into a different usb port

Destiny: Then inform me if you see your Mj dial pad with a message stock symbol call

Melissa: Ok, the stock symbol call is there.

Destiny: On your magicJack, click menu and volume/headset control. Can you toggle between telephone and headset there?

Destiny: If using a phone, choose "Telephone"

Destiny: If using a headset/speakers, choose "Headset"

Destiny: okay

Melissa: Can I try making a call

Destiny: Yes please

Melissa: Still the same issue. Only numbers 7, 8, 9, 0 will register as the first number. 1-6 will not.

Melissa: I have tried 2 different phones one corded one wireless with different cords and there is no difference.

Destiny: Please do these steps"

Destiny: Go to My Computer and look for magicjack drives and removable disk there.

Destiny: Please tell me what letters that indicates the magicjack drives and removable disk.

Melissa: It shows up as CD drive K

Destiny: I will be right with you.

Destiny: may I know what other drive letters you see there

Melissa: a c d e f g h i

Melissa: j is reserved for my external drive

Destiny: Please unplug your Mj and tell me what are the 2 drives that will also disappear

Melissa: just drive k

Destiny: Please press and hold Window key (located on bottom left of your keyboard between ctrl and alt) and press R .

Destiny: Type "devmgmt.msc" (without quotes) and press Enter

Melissa: what's next

Destiny: Once there, click "Device Manager"

Destiny: Then click the "+" sign behind the Universal Serial Bus Controllers

Melissa: ok, did it

Destiny: How many entries you have there ?

Melissa: 9

Destiny: You need to right click the first entry, then choose "update driver"

Destiny: then check the "No, not this time" radio button.

Destiny: Then click next. Once there check the "Install from a list of specific location"

Destiny: then click next.

Destiny: then on the next window, check the "dont search. I will choose the number to install" button.

Destiny: Then click next.

Destiny: Then click next again on the next page.

Destiny: Then after the update is done click "finish".

Melissa: Do I need to restart?

Destiny: No ,

Melissa: ok, its done]

Destiny: Please do that to all entries you have there

Melissa: ok, all done

Destiny: May I know if you have any other questions or clarifications to ask?

Melissa: Should I test the majicjack to see if it works correctly?

Destiny: Please do

Melissa: Sorry but the steps above did not help.

Destiny: Okay

Destiny: Click Start Button

Destiny: then click RUN

Destiny: Then in there type: firewall.cpl and click OK

Destiny: Then click OFF ( not recommended ) then click OK

Melissa: Ok, it was set to off since I rely on Norton Security Suite

Destiny: Please turn off your Norton for the meantime,

Melissa: ok, its off

Destiny: Okay

Destiny: One moment please...

Destiny: Click here and run this file {MJ Recover Tool}

Melissa: ok, I ran this before just to let you now. But i'll try it again.

Melissa: Installation completed with Deivice Not Found.

Destiny: Now please unplug your MJ for 20 sec as well as the telephone cord on your MJ port , then plug them all back in back your MJ into a different usb port together with the telephone cord

Melissa: Ok, whats next

Destiny: try to make a call again

Melissa: Still the same issue. 1-6 will not dial as the first digit.

Melissa: I've never had any issues with phones when I had Verizon.

Destiny: Are you using a Router or modem ?

Melissa: Yes.

Destiny: Please turn off your modem and router (if you are using one) for 3 minutes. Then turn them back on again. Now unplug your magicJack and plug back it back in. After it starts up again, try to make a phone call.

Melissa: But this session will disconnect. What else can we try before I do this?

Destiny: Nothing to worry , Please do chat us back if the problem still persist or if you have any other questions. We are willing to assist you on that.

Destiny:

Destiny: You can look for me but if in case i am not available, please inform the operator that will assist you to review your past chats, so that he/she can make it as a reference and also for you not to explain again. ------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------

That was over an hour of useless chatting... Evil or Very Mad
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject:

Did you try your MJ on another PC to see if the problem follows your MJ?? IF so the ATA part of your MJ might have gone bad.. If not then there is SOMETHING on your PC the MJ does not like.. Time to play detective and play process of elimination..
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject:

And no offense to the OP, but "Top 10% stumped!" could be the opening description on about...hmmm...95% of the new posts in here.
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject:

I agree with Joe. Try a different computer and see if it works any better. Also look in task manager and see if your computer is getting maxed out. MJ's can act strange when they have to compete with to many other things for system resources.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject:

nailgunner wrote:
And no offense to the OP, but "Top 10% stumped!" could be the opening description on about...hmmm...95% of the new posts in here.

As I said once before, when they say they are transfering you to someone higher up, all they mean is the guy next to them is sitting on some phone books and they still have no clue!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: