Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Transferred ISP to new address now quality horibble.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gdepetro
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Transferred ISP to new address now quality horibble.

I transferred my internet service to a new address same ISP Comcast. Same DL speed 20mgbit+

Before MJ worked flawlessly. Now it is horrible quality sound in. Clicking, pops, lost/ dropped conversation.

Any ideas how to fix this. I spoke to my service and they will not route me thru another server.

I can't use MJ now it is so bad.

Thanks
greenman
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject:

Just to be sure I understand: you moved from one house in one city to another house in another city (or the same city), but still have the same service provider comcast.

You have the same service contract and all other services seem to be working correctly: video streaming on hulu/youtube/whatever, channel surfing, ftp, ssh -- all the protocols you are familiar with work fine, yet magicJack does not, correct?

These are the things magicJack chat support is going to tell you to do:

Just to be sure it's not a Comcast thing, you may as well do the following, because this is what they're going to tell you to do anyway:
  1. For your cable modem: unplug the cable cord, the WAN ethernet cable and the power cord.
  2. For your router: unpower the router.
  3. For your magicJack: unpower the magicJack plus. Unplug the ethernet cord.
  4. Wait at least five minutes with cable and modem both off.
  5. Plug in the power for your cable modem.
  6. Wait at least a minute.
  7. Plug in the cable cord to the cable modem.
  8. Wati at least a minute.
  9. Power up the router.
  10. Plug in the WAN ethernet cord from your router to your cable modem.
  11. Wait at least a minute.
  12. Plug in the magicJack plus to power, then to ethernet.

You've just refreshed your internet connection and IP addresses.

You should also have port forwarding and local static IP enabled for your magicJack plus.

Have these changes/refreshed settings made any difference?

If not, then it may be some odd SIP/STUN/DTMF settings problem that only magicJack can solve. That will mean getting on line with magicJack chat support.
gdepetro
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the reply. I have tried all that you suggested but I will do again.

Sorry I did not mention I have the regular MJ not MJ plus. So I cannot assign it an ip address.

I moved from the city Denver to a suburb Littleton in Colorado. When Comcast tranfered my service they set up a whole new account. With Comcast you get a static ip address but I did not get the same old static IP address I had. So I suspect I may be routing thru a different server. I asked Comcast to let me try another server and they saidno. They also did a trcrt and said I hadnot packe losses...but I don't think there aren't any ever.

If none of what you suggested work I guess I will try MJ and hope they don't give me run around and say it is Comcast issue.

All other internet services seem to be working as before.
greenman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject:

gdepetro wrote:
If none of what you suggested work I guess I will try MJ and hope they don't give me run around and say it is Comcast issue.

All other internet services seem to be working as before.
It's entirely possible the fault could also be with your computer. Have you installed anything new since you moved? Anything like software development tools?

If so, and the software isn't really that important, have you tried doing a system restore?

Also, when approaching magicJack chat, try to pose your questions so they are inclined to answer with simple yes or no answers. Rephrase the same question if you have to in order to simplify the chat support agent's answer to yes or no. Try to have a list of questions ready to go before even getting on chat.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject:

99.99% of the time, port forwarding and all of the other nonsense that MJ "customer support" often puts folks through is a complete waste of time unless a customer has an older router with non-standard firmware.

The problem encountered with such a move can stem from a small multitude of sources - faulty home LAN equipment, a problematic local node at the ISP's end, a faulty MJ proxy server, something wrong with one's computer (in the case of the older "standard" MJ devices), even poor cabling and/or connections anywhere from "out at the the pole" to one's modem and/or interior Ethernet wiring.

First make certain that all is perfectly well with the PC and your router settings. Make certain that other processes and applications are not running on your pc in such a way and to such an extent that they could be interfering with your VOIP service... does your pc "feel" less responsive in general than it used to?

Also, go to speakeasy.net and run the advanced tests - you'll see how your Internet service is not just regarding "speed" but on other factors important to good VOIP as well.

Also consider downloading NetUptimeMonitor... let it run for quite awhile, see how many dropouts of service you get etc...

All in all, in your particular situation chances are pretty good that the problem is not on MJ's end. But you never know. Your difficulties present a good argument for "upgrading" to a MJ+ - problems are a bit easier to diagnose when you don't have to worry so much about what your pc may or may not be doing... if you can get an "upgrade" for $30, consider it.
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject:

SteveHC wrote:
99.99% of the time, port forwarding and all of the other nonsense that MJ "customer support" often puts folks through is a complete waste of time unless a customer has an older router with non-standard firmware.

The problem encountered with such a move can stem from a small multitude of sources - faulty home LAN equipment, a problematic local node at the ISP's end, a faulty MJ proxy server, something wrong with one's computer (in the case of the older "standard" MJ devices), even poor cabling and/or connections anywhere from "out at the the pole" to one's modem and/or interior Ethernet wiring.

First make certain that all is perfectly well with the PC and your router settings. Make certain that other processes and applications are not running on your pc in such a way and to such an extent that they could be interfering with your VOIP service... does your pc "feel" less responsive in general than it used to?

Also, go to speakeasy.net and run the advanced tests - you'll see how your Internet service is not just regarding "speed" but on other factors important to good VOIP as well.

Also consider downloading NetUptimeMonitor... let it run for quite awhile, see how many dropouts of service you get etc...

All in all, in your particular situation chances are pretty good that the problem is not on MJ's end. But you never know. Your difficulties present a good argument for "upgrading" to a MJ+ - problems are a bit easier to diagnose when you don't have to worry so much about what your pc may or may not be doing... if you can get an "upgrade" for $30, consider it.

... if you can get an "upgrade" for $30, GO FOR it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: