Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Transition from cable co. Arris modem with VoIP to MagicJack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Warren Steffen
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Transition from cable co. Arris modem with VoIP to MagicJack

I currently have my phone service with my cable provider. The service is through an Arris modem with built in VoIP. I also have another cable modem that I had before I got my phone service from the cable co. I own that modem and it is used for my home network. I now want to transition from the cable co's Voip to MJ, but I need to do some testing and draw up a plan for transitioning from the current phone number to the new one. I would like to be able to have the two systems working at the same time for the test period.
Has anyone done this? Have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Warren Steffen
Everton
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Transition from cable co. Arris modem with VoIP to Magic

Warren Steffen wrote:
I currently have my phone service with my cable provider. The service is through an Arris modem with built in VoIP. I also have another cable modem that I had before I got my phone service from the cable co. I own that modem and it is used for my home network. I now want to transition from the cable co's Voip to MJ, but I need to do some testing and draw up a plan for transitioning from the current phone number to the new one. I would like to be able to have the two systems working at the same time for the test period.
Has anyone done this? Have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Warren Steffen

More details required. Are you planning on using the MJ on a PC or an ATA? What model Router do you have?
Warren Steffen
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Transition from cable co. Arris modem with VoIP to MagicJack

I plan on testing on my AMD64 PC running XP, my router is a Linksys/Cisco
WRT54GL and the Arris cable modem does not go through the router as it is self contained and provides my current VoIP phone system.
newtoncd
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Transition from cable co. Arris modem with VoIP to Magic

Plug magicJack into the PC, get a second phone system and attach it. You can run both, no problem at all.
Warren Steffen
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Transition from cable co. Arris modem with VoIP to Magi

I have tried that using my phone that is a two line phone. When I did that neither system worked. I did not write down the message (voice on phone) that I got with MagicJack and
the other system said it was out of service. I intend to try again with a more controled environment and more time. Also will try testing using a cell phone to call in.

Thanks for your response!

Warren Steffen
Warren Steffen
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Transition from cable co. Arris modem with VoIP to MagicJack

AN UPDATE
I set up a test with a separate phone for the MJ and the two systems both worked as well as calling to/from a cell phone. From what I have seen I think the problem is/was the wiring to the two line phone.
My next step is to clean up the wiring in my house and test some more. I intend to get a thin client and test that before i go "live".
Thanks for stimulating the old brain cells!

Warren Steffen
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Transition from cable co. Arris modem with VoIP to Magic

Warren Steffen wrote:
AN UPDATE
I set up a test with a separate phone for the MJ and the two systems both worked as well as calling to/from a cell phone. From what I have seen I think the problem is/was the wiring to the two line phone.
My next step is to clean up the wiring in my house and test some more. I intend to get a thin client and test that before i go "live".
Thanks for stimulating the old brain cells!

Warren Steffen

If I remember correctly, Radio Shack sells a L1/L2/L1+L2 splitter.. I have used it in the past with a 2 line setup and it has worked like a charm. Not sure how it will work in your case but worth a shot.
EDIT: here is the info
Top of the page Item # 55034722 http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=phone%20splitter&origkw=phone%20splitter&sr=1

Joe Sica
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Warren Steffen
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the info. I think I might correct my problem with a clean up of my house wiring. When I moved into this house I had two lines combined into one and that may be where the problem lies. Three different "installers" have worked on it since that time and it is a real rat's nest. But I will keep your suggestion in mind!

Warren Steffen
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject:

Warren Steffen wrote:
Thanks for the info. I think I might correct my problem with a clean up of my house wiring. When I moved into this house I had two lines combined into one and that may be where the problem lies. Three different "installers" have worked on it since that time and it is a real rat's nest. But I will keep your suggestion in mind!

Warren Steffen

I had the same setup a few years ago when 2 lines were coming out of a single jack. Red/Green were for line 1 and Yellow/Black were for line 2. Some phones worked great others did not. That Radio Shack splitter always sorted things out for me.

Joe Sica
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: