magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trouble with t5700 512/512 update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmccommons
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Trouble with t5700 512/512 update Reply with quote

I'm new to this forum and have been looking for an answer to my problem and ,so far, not found one. I will continue to look, if someone has the 'quick' answer I will be grateful!

After reading this forum as a 'guest' for a while, I purchased (2) t5700 512/512 on ebay. They both have no image of XPe installed on them and both issue the same error at image install!

After downloading the current XPe from HP and doing the (update > USB) thing on my laptop, I then used the USB to boot the thin client which all seemed to go fine right up to the point where the image was to copy to the DOM.

(taken from thin client screen by hand)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Validating the image ......
Extracting the image ......

0% complete. ***ERROR*** WriteSectors (00000000, 003F, buffer, FE00) Failed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone seen this problem or am I just missing some part of the process Sad

My eyes 'say' the DOM in both are bad.........

Also, I noticed that the HP site is now blocking non-customer access to the download files. Good that I downloaded most of them two weeks ago when I was doing my research! Very Happy

Unless the good folks on this forum have an objection, I can post what I have, on request!
conniemadagain
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

upgrading your memory I believe will solve it ...
jmccommons
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Trouble with t5700 512/512 update Reply with quote

One other thought I just had, is it possible that the guy I bought these t5700's from did something in his 'wiping' of the system that caused the DOM's to be killed or are they not being formatted correctly?

I'm just looking for a 'common to both systems' issue. I just find it unlikely that both DOM's are really dead! I may attach a 2.5" drive I have, to test the theory. I even have a 44pin cable by pure luck!

If it's not clear....I am the original poster of this subject.

Any additional comments welcome!

Thanks in advance.
slinkyDog
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a ThinClient hp5720 for MagicJack with the same problem as shown in this thread. I bought it off eBay and one day it BlueScreenOfDeath'ed and would never load WinXPe: on reboot, it shows the initial screen to press F10 to enter the boot menu, etc; then it tries to load WindowsXPe but never actually loads it, the screen just turns black/gray and it stays like that forever.

--------------------

1) Went to the HP website and downloaded the WinXPe images for my model.

2) Changed the BIOS settings to boot off the USB first.

3) Initially I had the downloaded the wrong WinXPe (sp47032.exe and it was failing to load because it said it didn't have a valid license. I google'd this and people were saying that the BIOS needed to be updated so I updated the BIOS to version 786A1 BIOS 1.12 Rev. A (22 Oct 2007) (using sp37648.exe). After the BIOS update it still failed with the license error and that's when I noticed that I had the wrong WinXPe for my machine's model.

3) Next, I tried the sp43289.exe (May 2009 version) -> USB stick method to reload WinXPe but it showed the WriteSectors error described in this thread.

3b) For debugging, I tried to run the same command as in the autoexec but using HD0 instead of HD1. Bad idea, it corrupted my USB stick and I had to use chkdsk to fix it.

4) Next, tried the sp33234.exe (July 2006 version) -> ISO image -> CD-R method (using external USB CD-RW) and it also failed with the same WriteSectors error.

4b) For debugging, I tried the HD0 thing again and this time it wrote over my CD-R. This time I really learned that running it against HD0 is a bad idea but I wanted to double check that is what caused the USB corruption.

5) I tried a few other things (such as changing the buffering size) on the command line but nothing is working. When I tried HD2, it said something about a geometry error, so I'm pretty sure now that HD1 is the correct target.

At this point I don't know how to fix this ThinClient. I might go talk
with the guy from eBay that sold it to me to see if there is anything that
he would recommend or could do to help me with it...I'll update this thread if I find anything more.
Diggs

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble with t5700 512/512 update Reply with quote

jmccommons wrote:

I'm guessing your FLASH has gone bad. The modules are only good for a certain amount of writes and then they fail. I've heard people warn against wearing out a FLASH module but have never really seen it happen (until now?). Should be able to replace it for cheap and then write in the the new OS. Be sure the OS matches exactly as there are different OSs for the t5700, t5710, and t5720.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble with t5700 512/512 update Reply with quote

jmccommons wrote:
I'm new to this forum and have been looking for an answer to my problem and ,so far, not found one. I will continue to look, if someone has the 'quick' answer I will be grateful!

After reading this forum as a 'guest' for a while, I purchased (2) t5700 512/512 on ebay. They both have no image of XPe installed on them and both issue the same error at image install!

After downloading the current XPe from HP and doing the (update > USB) thing on my laptop, I then used the USB to boot the thin client which all seemed to go fine right up to the point where the image was to copy to the DOM.

Has anyone seen this problem or am I just missing some part of the process Sad

My eyes 'say' the DOM in both are bad.........

Also, I noticed that the HP site is now blocking non-customer access to the download files. Good that I downloaded most of them two weeks ago when I was doing my research! Very Happy

Unless the good folks on this forum have an objection, I can post what I have, on request!

Just before you start the usb boot to reflash make sure to not only just turn off the power to the TC but actually remove the power plug for a minute. See if that helps.
slinkyDog
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thank you for your reply.

I have ordered a new 1GB replacement flash for $25 (Transcend part number TS1GDOM44HS).

Once the replacement part arrives, I will replace the flash and try to write WinXPe to it and then post the results to this thread.
slinkyDog
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VaHam: thanks for your suggestion (I didn't see your post until after I had already ordered a new flash but wanted to see if your suggestion would help).

I unplugged the ThinClient from the wall for 5 minutes and then tried the USB flash procedure but it didn't help, same error as before. I also tried reseating the flash module (during which time the module was unplugged from the wall for 30 minutes or so) but that didn't help either, same error.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slinkyDog wrote:
VaHam: thanks for your suggestion (I didn't see your post until after I had already ordered a new flash but wanted to see if your suggestion would help).

I unplugged the ThinClient from the wall for 5 minutes and then tried the USB flash procedure but it didn't help, same error as before. I also tried reseating the flash module (during which time the module was unplugged from the wall for 30 minutes or so) but that didn't help either, same error.

Sorry the trick didn't work for you. Removing the power resets some bios values and often helps in this instance.
slinkyDog
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmccommons: What was the outcome of your two ThinClients? Did you replace the DOMs? If so, did that work?
slinkyDog
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received the new replacement flash this morning and it got me past the
original error:

1) I opened up the ThinClient and replaced the flash with the new one.

2) Just out of curiousity, tried to boot up the ThinClient just to see what would happen without yet writing to the flash and it told me this:
PXE-E61
Media test failure, check cable.
PXE-MOF:
Exiting Intel PXE ROM

3) I rebooted the ThinClient with the bootable USB flash (using sp43289.exe) to flash the replacement part. It went from 0% to 100% then said:

Completed successfully! (432 seconds)
Please remove the USB Flash disk and power-cycle your system now.

4) I took the USB stick out and rebooted the Thin Client.

5) The ThinClient loaded up Windows XPe successfully.

6) I am now loading MagicJack back onto the ThinClient using these instructions:

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/hp-t5720-magicjack-and-other-tips-and-tricks-t2216.html

--> It should be working soon, thanks for your help.
slinkyDog
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summary of this thread:

Problem Description:

You are trying to flash your DOM on a ThinClient and see this error:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem Solution:

This likely means your DOM (flash hard drive) is bad.
I replaced mine (Transcend part number TS1GDOM44H-S) on my T5720 ThinClient for $25 and reflashed it successfully after replacement.
MJU4linhlilybeth
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: HP T5720 not detecting magicjack upon startup--Please HELP! Reply with quote

Hi,

I just bought an HP T5720 with 1.0 Ghz processor, 512MB RAM, 512MB flash drive, reflashed with HP OS sp36064, removed all unwanted applications as described in this forum. I added scheduled task to reboot thin client at 2AM daily; added setup.exe under startup to load MJ at each reboot. However, occasionally, thin client does not detect MJ. The workaround is to unplug MJ and plug it back in again or to disable nightly reboot. I never had this problem with T5710.

Would you please help me how to solve this issue?

Thank you in advance for expert advice. I am really tired of spending too much time dealing with help (less) desk people from magicjack.com. They told me that they do not recommend using thin client with magicjack.

Lily
Diggs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First question is why you reboot nightly? If reboots are the problem for MJ to be recognized and started, then don't reboot unless you are there watching things. I reboot my t5710 every month or two. It sits on a UPS that will carry it for a couple hours (longer than the cable) in a power outage so there are no unplanned reboots either.
slinkyDog
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the question about why MJ is not detected after reboot...

The following thread mentions that perhaps 50% of T5720's have this problem and it can be fixed by using a powered USB hub:

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/hp-t5720-magicjack-and-other-tips-and-tricks-t2216.html

Quote:
Note: If you want to leave the MagicJack connected to the t5720 all the time, you may have to connect it to the thin client by using a powered USB hub. The boot up sequence on some of the t5720s is such that it will not recognize the MagicJack on a re-boot unless you unplug it and plug it back in. Using a powered USB avoids this problem. Again, I can't figure out why this is necessary on some t5720s, but not on others. Again, my batting average is .500 -- my t5720 at work reboots fine without a powered USB hub, whereas my t5720 at home will lock up unless the MagicJack (and USB external drives) are connected via a powered hub.

I have this problem sometimes too and I have to reconnect my MJ device. I haven't bought a powered USB hub but I might try it soon.
MJU4linhlilybeth
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: HP T5720 not detecting magicjack upon startup--Please HELP! Reply with quote

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:06 pm Post subject:
First question is why you reboot nightly? If reboots are the problem for MJ to be recognized and started, then don't reboot unless you are there watching things. I reboot my t5710 every month or two. It sits on a UPS that will carry it for a couple hours (longer than the cable) in a power outage so there are no unplanned reboots either.

We use this phone heavily in our house. Mostly conference calls as well as oversea calls. We set up a nightly reboot to prevent memory leak, to give our thin client a short break to cool down. We just wonder if daily reboot vs. monthly reboot (other any other frequency) would make magicjack USB behave differently. Our previous model T5710 (has only 4 USB ports) underwent nightly reboot without issue. But this new model T5720 (has 6 USB ports) occasionally does not see magicjack after reboot.
Diggs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much memory leakage are you experiencing? I can go months with only a 10-20 MB creep in memory usage. My t5710 is not even warm to the touch so I never consider a cool down necessary.

Actually one USB port would be sufficient. Just plug in a 6-port powered USB hub and everything can plug into the hub. (USB hubs can also be daisy chained as long as there is not more than 255 ports.)
MJU4linhlilybeth
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: HP T5720 not detecting magicjack upon startup--Please HELP! Reply with quote

Thanks for your input. I noticed that the T5710 run a lot cooler than the T5720. I just updated the bios for the T5720. I will see how it turns out after the reboot tonight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: