Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Truth About 4th Gen or So Called 2010 MagicJacks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject:

gashliquor wrote:
Nugrl wrote:
gashliquor wrote:
Nugrl wrote:
gashliquor wrote:
Nugrl wrote:
"Oldgirl" !?!? Crying or Very sad ok, lets get back on track here, sorta, now not to start another arguement, but,..... should I feel safe if I do manage to find a 4th GEN mj to replace the one I have, when I deactivate the one I have, after transferring that # over to the NEW one, that if I return that old one to Kmart and someone else buys it from Kmart, (if Kmart chooses to put it back out on the shelf) and that person activates it, could it somehow screw up my # that I just transferred off of it to the NEW one? does that make sense?



Once the MJ is returned they DO NOT put returned MJ's that the package has been open on the shelf to re-sell. Except if someone lived in a redneck town gods only knows what happens. Usually the store sends it back to MJ


well I do live in kind of a redneck town, so you could say. and, ... I did work at that very same Kmart, mind you years ago, but I do know that they do put stuff back out on the shelves that I am pretty sure should have been returned to the manufacturer. so I just wanted to make sure I would be safe with transferring that number and then returning that mj.




I got ya, Well in my OPINION if your going to buy a MJ from a retail store it would NOT be wise to purchase a already opened package as they come in that plastic seal. Before that when you purchased them direct from florida they came in just a orange card board box. I understand because Walmart pulls that shit here putting returns back on shelves. But the MJ package is such a BIG give away if it has been opened that you can't hide it!



well then, maybe I should cut the package all up so no one would even consider buying it! Wink




I think at min you had to cut off the top seam to get the damn thing out of the package. There is no way to put that seam back. Butcher the package then if your under your return time still they must still take it back. But again all returned MJ's should go back to the MFG which is in china but MJ is located " The Company " just a few miles from me. Thats where the returns suppose to go. I also would like to add because no one else did if you port your number to a new MJ your not gonna get a year of service!. You will only get whats left on the MJ your shutting off.


Lord help me for getting involved in this post, but something you said caught my eye. If my MJ dies with 1 month left and I go buy a new unit for $40, and transfer my old number, they are NOT gonna give me the 12 months of service I just bought with the new unit, but only the 1 month left on my old unit?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gashliquor
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 26 Apr 2008
Posts: 447

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject:

nailgunner wrote:
gashliquor wrote:
Nugrl wrote:
gashliquor wrote:
Nugrl wrote:
gashliquor wrote:
Nugrl wrote:
"Oldgirl" !?!? Crying or Very sad ok, lets get back on track here, sorta, now not to start another arguement, but,..... should I feel safe if I do manage to find a 4th GEN mj to replace the one I have, when I deactivate the one I have, after transferring that # over to the NEW one, that if I return that old one to Kmart and someone else buys it from Kmart, (if Kmart chooses to put it back out on the shelf) and that person activates it, could it somehow screw up my # that I just transferred off of it to the NEW one? does that make sense?



Once the MJ is returned they DO NOT put returned MJ's that the package has been open on the shelf to re-sell. Except if someone lived in a redneck town gods only knows what happens. Usually the store sends it back to MJ


well I do live in kind of a redneck town, so you could say. and, ... I did work at that very same Kmart, mind you years ago, but I do know that they do put stuff back out on the shelves that I am pretty sure should have been returned to the manufacturer. so I just wanted to make sure I would be safe with transferring that number and then returning that mj.




I got ya, Well in my OPINION if your going to buy a MJ from a retail store it would NOT be wise to purchase a already opened package as they come in that plastic seal. Before that when you purchased them direct from florida they came in just a orange card board box. I understand because Walmart pulls that shit here putting returns back on shelves. But the MJ package is such a BIG give away if it has been opened that you can't hide it!



well then, maybe I should cut the package all up so no one would even consider buying it! Wink




I think at min you had to cut off the top seam to get the damn thing out of the package. There is no way to put that seam back. Butcher the package then if your under your return time still they must still take it back. But again all returned MJ's should go back to the MFG which is in china but MJ is located " The Company " just a few miles from me. Thats where the returns suppose to go. I also would like to add because no one else did if you port your number to a new MJ your not gonna get a year of service!. You will only get whats left on the MJ your shutting off.


Lord help me for getting involved in this post, but something you said caught my eye. If my MJ dies with 1 month left and I go buy a new unit for $40, and transfer my old number, they are NOT gonna give me the 12 months of service I just bought with the new unit, but only the 1 month left on my old unit?





Thats right, IF YOU PORT your number to the new MJ you will only have 1 month service on it. Porting takes away the 1 yr and ONLY gives you what you have left on the other MJ with the number your porting and that is FACT!... When i got into MJ since day one my MJ took a dump after 9 months. MJ sent me a new unit free as long as i sent them the non working one back or they would of charged my CC. That is no longer in effect either but not 100% sure but i don't think so.


Last edited by gashliquor on Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 2844
Location: North East Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject:

Great question as I have wondered this myself. OR what if you JUST renewed for $20 and it dies and then you spend $40 for a new one. Do they give you the year you JUST spent $20 on as well as another yr that comes with the MJ when you buy it??
Anyone??

Joe Sica
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 2844
Location: North East Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject:

gashliquor wrote:

Thats right, IF YOU PORT your number to the new MJ you will only have 1 month service on it. Porting takes away the 1 yr and ONLY gives you what you have left on the other MJ with the number your porting and that is FACT!


Damn thats sucks..... Lose ones # or the time left.

Joe Sica
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject:

Dude just saved me $20. I have 2 months left, so I was gonna buy a 4th gen and give up the 2 months (I assumed they wouldn't give me 14 months). Had no CLUE I would be throwing away the extra $20 year of service.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gashliquor
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 26 Apr 2008
Posts: 447

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject:

bitstopjoe wrote:
gashliquor wrote:

Thats right, IF YOU PORT your number to the new MJ you will only have 1 month service on it. Porting takes away the 1 yr and ONLY gives you what you have left on the other MJ with the number your porting and that is FACT!


Damn thats sucks..... Lose ones # or the time left.

Joe Sica





Its simple to verify what i say, Any MJ rep ( MJ Tech Support ) will tell u if you port your MJ number from one MJ to another EVEN if the MJ your porting to is NEW and you PAID 40.00 for you LOOSE the 1 yr and get only the TIME you had left on your so called OLD one. The reason behind it " I THINK" is because there NOT charging you for the porting and i will TELL you it takes less then 3 mins to port over UNLESS they make a mistake. And if they make a mistake you'll think all is ok but what happens is the MJ can make out going calls but can NOT get any incoming so back to MJ rep support you go.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nugrl
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 354

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject:

gashliquor wrote:
Nugrl wrote:
gashliquor wrote:
Nugrl wrote:
gashliquor wrote:
Nugrl wrote:
gashliquor wrote:
Nugrl wrote:
"Oldgirl" !?!? Crying or Very sad ok, lets get back on track here, sorta, now not to start another arguement, but,..... should I feel safe if I do manage to find a 4th GEN mj to replace the one I have, when I deactivate the one I have, after transferring that # over to the NEW one, that if I return that old one to Kmart and someone else buys it from Kmart, (if Kmart chooses to put it back out on the shelf) and that person activates it, could it somehow screw up my # that I just transferred off of it to the NEW one? does that make sense?



Once the MJ is returned they DO NOT put returned MJ's that the package has been open on the shelf to re-sell. Except if someone lived in a redneck town gods only knows what happens. Usually the store sends it back to MJ


well I do live in kind of a redneck town, so you could say. and, ... I did work at that very same Kmart, mind you years ago, but I do know that they do put stuff back out on the shelves that I am pretty sure should have been returned to the manufacturer. so I just wanted to make sure I would be safe with transferring that number and then returning that mj.




I got ya, Well in my OPINION if your going to buy a MJ from a retail store it would NOT be wise to purchase a already opened package as they come in that plastic seal. Before that when you purchased them direct from florida they came in just a orange card board box. I understand because Walmart pulls that shit here putting returns back on shelves. But the MJ package is such a BIG give away if it has been opened that you can't hide it!



well then, maybe I should cut the package all up so no one would even consider buying it! Wink




I think at min you had to cut off the top seam to get the damn thing out of the package. There is no way to put that seam back. Butcher the package then if your under your return time still they must still take it back. But again all returned MJ's should go back to the MFG which is in china but MJ is located " The Company " just a few miles from me. Thats where the returns suppose to go.


if you live that close, couldn't you just take a walk over there for me and knock on the door and ask for one of the 4th GEN mjs, then my search will be over??? Wink




There on the east coast of florida, Im actually about 20 miles south from them. When it was sold on TV only i'd receive it in one day. I don't think you can buy direct like drive there. But here is the thing. My Radio shack had like 10 on the shelf. I went all through them and only TWO out of 10 were 4th gen. Best Buy had like 24 units and out of 24 only 3 were 4th Gen. Now in Long Island NY when im there 99.9% of MJ's in Radio shack is 4th gen. Don't ask me why because i don't know. I have done alot of testing and prefer the 4th Gen. However my 3rd Gen was fantastic BUT the 4th gen has a BIG advantage on Bandwidth usage and Audio. As for a example for a cell phone i use Nextel as my provider ONLY because of the commerical Walkie Talkie feature. Well the 4th Gen MJ if you turn up the audio in your OS is 2 1/2 louder then the Nextel Walkie Talkie. Now thats loud!...Plus i have a friend all the way out in Long Island with a wifi signal of 1 bar out of 5 and he screams. Your not gonna do that with the older to say model. Plus the 4th Gen the softphone acts a lil different then the 3rd and there is no longer two drive letters under your computer only ONE. I had to edit this message again as i seen something that i know will be true. She all this MJ going crazy over 4th Gen WHO's to say in 6 months a Gen 5, 6 or whatever replaces that. BUT at the moment 4th Gen is the device. Can't explain it any better. Also to SOME that don't understand there OS and settings etc may get lost too. MJ does not tell the entire story when you buy it. There is more to it then Plug & Play. I am not saying THERE ARE SOME that did it and works fine BUT if you know HOW to tinker with your OS it will make it at min 35% better!


at the risk of starting another arguement..... can you explain to me how to "tinker" with my OS to make it 35% better? I am running one of the mj's on Win7 Home Premium 64bit, and the other on Vista Home Premium 32bit. that is why I said, way back when, that you said, you had a "kick ass" set up for yours and I would love to know how you did it. thats why I said that one could learn alot from you. (me being the Grasshopper) ha ha ha Wink

and another thing, a bit off topic here, can you or anyone else, suggest the best anti-virus program to use, one that won't suck up all of my system resources. I am sitting right now at a freshly formatted system, I just did last night, and need to put an AV on it, but it is running so fast and smooth without one right now, I hate to install another resource sucking program back on here. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gashliquor
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 26 Apr 2008
Posts: 447

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject:

nailgunner wrote:
Dude just saved me $20. I have 2 months left, so I was gonna buy a 4th gen and give up the 2 months (I assumed they wouldn't give me 14 months). Had no CLUE I would be throwing away the extra $20 year of service.





Wait, If you don't port your number and register it online and of course you'll get a new number then you'll get a YEAR again. And what you do with the MJ that has two months left on it is your business. Porting the number = " KILLS YOUR ACTIVATION TIME". Doing this is sort of MJ's payment. Also a regular rep can't do this only a MJ supervisor can, So once they hear i want to PORT you get PLEASE HOLD ON WHILE I TRANSFER YOU.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gashliquor
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 26 Apr 2008
Posts: 447

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject:

Nugrl wrote:
gashliquor wrote:
Nugrl wrote:
gashliquor wrote:
Nugrl wrote:
gashliquor wrote:
Nugrl wrote:
gashliquor wrote:
Nugrl wrote:
"Oldgirl" !?!? Crying or Very sad ok, lets get back on track here, sorta, now not to start another arguement, but,..... should I feel safe if I do manage to find a 4th GEN mj to replace the one I have, when I deactivate the one I have, after transferring that # over to the NEW one, that if I return that old one to Kmart and someone else buys it from Kmart, (if Kmart chooses to put it back out on the shelf) and that person activates it, could it somehow screw up my # that I just transferred off of it to the NEW one? does that make sense?



Once the MJ is returned they DO NOT put returned MJ's that the package has been open on the shelf to re-sell. Except if someone lived in a redneck town gods only knows what happens. Usually the store sends it back to MJ


well I do live in kind of a redneck town, so you could say. and, ... I did work at that very same Kmart, mind you years ago, but I do know that they do put stuff back out on the shelves that I am pretty sure should have been returned to the manufacturer. so I just wanted to make sure I would be safe with transferring that number and then returning that mj.




I got ya, Well in my OPINION if your going to buy a MJ from a retail store it would NOT be wise to purchase a already opened package as they come in that plastic seal. Before that when you purchased them direct from florida they came in just a orange card board box. I understand because Walmart pulls that shit here putting returns back on shelves. But the MJ package is such a BIG give away if it has been opened that you can't hide it!



well then, maybe I should cut the package all up so no one would even consider buying it! Wink




I think at min you had to cut off the top seam to get the damn thing out of the package. There is no way to put that seam back. Butcher the package then if your under your return time still they must still take it back. But again all returned MJ's should go back to the MFG which is in china but MJ is located " The Company " just a few miles from me. Thats where the returns suppose to go.


if you live that close, couldn't you just take a walk over there for me and knock on the door and ask for one of the 4th GEN mjs, then my search will be over??? Wink




There on the east coast of florida, Im actually about 20 miles south from them. When it was sold on TV only i'd receive it in one day. I don't think you can buy direct like drive there. But here is the thing. My Radio shack had like 10 on the shelf. I went all through them and only TWO out of 10 were 4th gen. Best Buy had like 24 units and out of 24 only 3 were 4th Gen. Now in Long Island NY when im there 99.9% of MJ's in Radio shack is 4th gen. Don't ask me why because i don't know. I have done alot of testing and prefer the 4th Gen. However my 3rd Gen was fantastic BUT the 4th gen has a BIG advantage on Bandwidth usage and Audio. As for a example for a cell phone i use Nextel as my provider ONLY because of the commerical Walkie Talkie feature. Well the 4th Gen MJ if you turn up the audio in your OS is 2 1/2 louder then the Nextel Walkie Talkie. Now thats loud!...Plus i have a friend all the way out in Long Island with a wifi signal of 1 bar out of 5 and he screams. Your not gonna do that with the older to say model. Plus the 4th Gen the softphone acts a lil different then the 3rd and there is no longer two drive letters under your computer only ONE. I had to edit this message again as i seen something that i know will be true. She all this MJ going crazy over 4th Gen WHO's to say in 6 months a Gen 5, 6 or whatever replaces that. BUT at the moment 4th Gen is the device. Can't explain it any better. Also to SOME that don't understand there OS and settings etc may get lost too. MJ does not tell the entire story when you buy it. There is more to it then Plug & Play. I am not saying THERE ARE SOME that did it and works fine BUT if you know HOW to tinker with your OS it will make it at min 35% better!


at the risk of starting another arguement..... can you explain to me how to "tinker" with my OS to make it 35% better? I am running one of the mj's on Win7 Home Premium 64bit, and the other on Vista Home Premium 32bit. that is why I said, way back when, that you said, you had a "kick ass" set up for yours and I would love to know how you did it. thats why I said that one could learn alot from you. (me being the Grasshopper) ha ha ha Wink

and another thing, a bit off topic here, can you or anyone else, suggest the best anti-virus program to use, one that won't suck up all of my system resources. I am sitting right now at a freshly formatted system, I just did last night, and need to put an AV on it, but it is running so fast and smooth without one right now, I hate to install another resource sucking program back on here. Rolling Eyes




Young Lady the truth is i do NOT desire WIN 7 but i do run Vista 32 and alot can be done. Get a 4th Gen and i will glady help u. Im not going to write a how to for Vista here. I have other projects etc. Plus im in florida and installing a massive wifi Amp in Long Island N.Y. via Direct connect to another computer. 4th Gen creates only things thru OS you can to for a big improvement. Plus im NOT KNOCKING NO ONE but i don't even run my MJ as a service BUT I DO use MagicFeaturesPlugin though! and that has nothing to do with the settings either but just a nice app.





Let me help you the best Anti virus is Kaspersky, As you read im a programmer don't waste your $. I'll give you Kaspersky Fully registered for nothing if u need it. Others may think NOD32 or Mc AFEE etc but im telling you Kaspersky is #1.. Let me also add to each is own too to be safe here!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 2844
Location: North East Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject:

Nugrl wrote:

at the risk of starting another arguement..... can you explain to me how to "tinker" with my OS to make it 35% better? I am running one of the mj's on Win7 Home Premium 64bit, and the other on Vista Home Premium 32bit. that is why I said, way back when, that you said, you had a "kick ass" set up for yours and I would love to know how you did it. thats why I said that one could learn alot from you. (me being the Grasshopper) ha ha ha Wink

and another thing, a bit off topic here, can you or anyone else, suggest the best anti-virus program to use, one that won't suck up all of my system resources. I am sitting right now at a freshly formatted system, I just did last night, and need to put an AV on it, but it is running so fast and smooth without one right now, I hate to install another resource sucking program back on here. Rolling Eyes


For one thing stop all UNECESSARY programs from running in the background also stop some uncessary services from running as well. Here is a web page that can help you. Just choose Win 7.
http://www.blackviper.com/

As far as AV programs I use several but NONE run resident ( in the background) I am just savy enough to know what not to open and any attachments get saved first and then scanned by 2 or 3 AV programs.

Joe Sica
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nugrl
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 354

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject:

Thank you for the "Young Lady" comment! Wink I would greatly appreciate your assistance in getting this 4th gen running once I get it, but the mj that I will be replacing is running on the Win7 64bit system as of right now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject:

gashliquor wrote:
nailgunner wrote:
Dude just saved me $20. I have 2 months left, so I was gonna buy a 4th gen and give up the 2 months (I assumed they wouldn't give me 14 months). Had no CLUE I would be throwing away the extra $20 year of service.





Wait, If you don't port your number and register it online and of course you'll get a new number then you'll get a YEAR again. And what you do with the MJ that has two months left on it is your business. Porting the number = " KILLS YOUR ACTIVATION TIME". Doing this is sort of MJ's payment. Also a regular rep can't do this only a MJ supervisor can, So once they hear i want to PORT you get PLEASE HOLD ON WHILE I TRANSFER YOU.


WAIT, what? Thats the whole point...I want to keep my number. I'm not in the habit of having to explain to granny why she hasn't been able to get a hold of me. It was hard enough the last time. I did confirm with the wonderful and lovely MJ customer service agent Marionne, that if my phone DIES a week (assume it applies to a day also) before my year is up and I buy a new one that I will get only a week of service if I port my number. Ignoring the fact that the package says, "Includes one year of service on it"? (I asked innocently) That issss corrrrecttt, I'm assuming she said as she typed her response.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nugrl
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 354

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject:

@ gashliquor- I do prefer Kaspersky, but it slows my system here way down, seeing as how this system I am referring to that I just formatted is VERY old and slow to begin with. I would love to put Kaspersky back on here if at all possible. any help in that matter would be greatly appreciated.

@bitstopjoe- I have been to the BlackViper site many times, and have stopped some of the unecessary programs from running. I have not gone back to it yet, as I have just completed the format on this system late last night. What are the 2 or 3 AV programs you use? And do you feel really safe by not running the resident in the background?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gashliquor
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 26 Apr 2008
Posts: 447

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject:

Nugrl wrote:
Thank you for the "Young Lady" comment! Wink I would greatly appreciate your assistance in getting this 4th gen running once I get it, but the mj that I will be replacing is running on the Win7 64bit system as of right now.




I can't do nothing with win 7 64 bit, Even the dude in NY is running it because thats what you get on new computers. I have a network here with 5 computers and same OS. I use two routers and one is commerical thats used to search for open wifi signals up to 20 miles. The 2nd router family connects too and they use whatever router im getting a wifi signal from. U have Vista 32 bit all go. However with NO MODS or i should say Tweaks on Win 7 the Audio increase and less bandwidth is there without doing anything with the newer MJ. Thats a fact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject:

gashliquor wrote:
bitstopjoe wrote:
gashliquor wrote:

Thats right, IF YOU PORT your number to the new MJ you will only have 1 month service on it. Porting takes away the 1 yr and ONLY gives you what you have left on the other MJ with the number your porting and that is FACT!


Damn thats sucks..... Lose ones # or the time left.

Joe Sica





Its simple to verify what i say, Any MJ rep ( MJ Tech Support ) will tell u if you port your MJ number from one MJ to another EVEN if the MJ your porting to is NEW and you PAID 40.00 for you LOOSE the 1 yr and get only the TIME you had left on your so called OLD one. The reason behind it " I THINK" is because there NOT charging you for the porting and i will TELL you it takes less then 3 mins to port over UNLESS they make a mistake. And if they make a mistake you'll think all is ok but what happens is the MJ can make out going calls but can NOT get any incoming so back to MJ rep support you go.


And since I'm in a VERY irritated mood at the moment...How in heck do you LOOSE anything?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gashliquor
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 26 Apr 2008
Posts: 447

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject:

nailgunner wrote:
gashliquor wrote:
nailgunner wrote:
Dude just saved me $20. I have 2 months left, so I was gonna buy a 4th gen and give up the 2 months (I assumed they wouldn't give me 14 months). Had no CLUE I would be throwing away the extra $20 year of service.





Wait, If you don't port your number and register it online and of course you'll get a new number then you'll get a YEAR again. And what you do with the MJ that has two months left on it is your business. Porting the number = " KILLS YOUR ACTIVATION TIME". Doing this is sort of MJ's payment. Also a regular rep can't do this only a MJ supervisor can, So once they hear i want to PORT you get PLEASE HOLD ON WHILE I TRANSFER YOU.


WAIT, what? Thats the whole point...I want to keep my number. I'm not in the habit of having to explain to granny why she hasn't been able to get a hold of me. It was hard enough the last time. I did confirm with the wonderful and lovely MJ customer service agent Marionne, that if my phone DIES a week (assume it applies to a day also) before my year is up and I buy a new one that I will get only a week of service if I port my number. Ignoring the fact that the package says, "Includes one year of service on it"? (I asked innocently) That issss corrrrecttt, I'm assuming she said as she typed her response.





Thats why i asked you to confirm what i said, I know what im talking about. I know how the company works and the hardware!. Sad but sorry you found out what i said was true Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gashliquor
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 26 Apr 2008
Posts: 447

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject:

Nugrl wrote:
@ gashliquor- I do prefer Kaspersky, but it slows my system here way down, seeing as how this system I am referring to that I just formatted is VERY old and slow to begin with. I would love to put Kaspersky back on here if at all possible. any help in that matter would be greatly appreciated.

@bitstopjoe- I have been to the BlackViper site many times, and have stopped some of the unecessary programs from running. I have not gone back to it yet, as I have just completed the format on this system late last night. What are the 2 or 3 AV programs you use? And do you feel really safe by not running the resident in the background?



If you don't use Kaspersky i can't help other then HELP YOU GET software of your choice Wink ....Im keep up with the times so my processors are at the max speeds however YOU DO NOT NEED that to run a MJ perfect. I do alot more then tinker with MJ's here!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject:

[quote="gashliquor"]
nailgunner wrote:
gashliquor wrote:
nailgunner wrote:
Dude just saved me $20. I have 2 months left, so I was gonna buy a 4th gen and give up the 2 months (I assumed they wouldn't give me 14 months). Had no CLUE I would be throwing away the extra $20 year of service.





Wait, If you don't port your number and register it online and of course you'll get a new number then you'll get a YEAR again. And what you do with the MJ that has two months left on it is your business. Porting the number = " KILLS YOUR ACTIVATION TIME". Doing this is sort of MJ's payment. Also a regular rep can't do this only a MJ supervisor can, So once they hear i want to PORT you get PLEASE HOLD ON WHILE I TRANSFER YOU.


WAIT, what? Thats the whole point...I want to keep my number. I'm not in the habit of having to explain to granny why she hasn't been able to get a hold of me. It was hard enough the last time. I did confirm with the wonderful and lovely MJ customer service agent Marionne, that if my phone DIES a week (assume it applies to a day also) before my year is up and I buy a new one that I will get only a week of service if I port my number. Ignoring the fact that the package says, "Includes one year of service on it"? (I asked innocently) That issss corrrrecttt, I'm assuming she said as she typed her response.





Thats why i asked you to confirm what i said, I know what im talking about. I know how the company works and the hardware!. Sad but sorry you found out what i said was true Laughing[

Without turning this into a legal discussion. The fact that their packaging says it includes one year of service, and there is no little * with a disclaimer saying "unless, you poor sucker, your old MagicJack died and you want to keep your old number". And the fact that their TOS makes NO mention of this "little" fact. They are breaking numerous Federal packaging laws, in addition to probably 48 individual state packaging laws (Alabama and Mississippi haven't passed any new laws since 1865). It's just standard for the way MJ runs their business. The fact that it only costs $40 is their saving grace, otherwise they would be spending all their profits on attorneys. OK, so what is REALLY ticking me off? I keep defending these chumps and their product in other forums. ARRRRRGGGG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gashliquor
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 26 Apr 2008
Posts: 447

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject:

[quote="nailgunner"]
gashliquor wrote:
nailgunner wrote:
gashliquor wrote:
nailgunner wrote:
Dude just saved me $20. I have 2 months left, so I was gonna buy a 4th gen and give up the 2 months (I assumed they wouldn't give me 14 months). Had no CLUE I would be throwing away the extra $20 year of service.





Wait, If you don't port your number and register it online and of course you'll get a new number then you'll get a YEAR again. And what you do with the MJ that has two months left on it is your business. Porting the number = " KILLS YOUR ACTIVATION TIME". Doing this is sort of MJ's payment. Also a regular rep can't do this only a MJ supervisor can, So once they hear i want to PORT you get PLEASE HOLD ON WHILE I TRANSFER YOU.


WAIT, what? Thats the whole point...I want to keep my number. I'm not in the habit of having to explain to granny why she hasn't been able to get a hold of me. It was hard enough the last time. I did confirm with the wonderful and lovely MJ customer service agent Marionne, that if my phone DIES a week (assume it applies to a day also) before my year is up and I buy a new one that I will get only a week of service if I port my number. Ignoring the fact that the package says, "Includes one year of service on it"? (I asked innocently) That issss corrrrecttt, I'm assuming she said as she typed her response.





Thats why i asked you to confirm what i said, I know what im talking about. I know how the company works and the hardware!. Sad but sorry you found out what i said was true Laughing[

Without turning this into a legal discussion. The fact that their packaging says it includes one year of service, and there is no little * with a disclaimer saying "unless, you poor sucker, your old MagicJack died and you want to keep your old number". And the fact that their TOS makes NO mention of this "little" fact. They are breaking numerous Federal packaging laws, in addition to probably 48 individual state packaging laws (Alabama and Mississippi haven't passed any new laws since 1865). It's just standard for the way MJ runs their business. The fact that it only costs $40 is their saving grace, otherwise they would be spending all their profits on attorneys. OK, so what is REALLY ticking me off? I keep defending these chumps and their product in other forums. ARRRRRGGGG




You are right what you say 100% and i hear you loud and clear!, But i myself had to give up a yr for 6 months service. However i think if you bitch to Dan direct VIA email you may get what u want. I seen him do things for me at no cost. However who knows this company was fly by night since day 1. Well now you know i was'nt throwing you any shit as i tell it like it is Smile and i know your Evil or Very Mad and don't blame you!. Like YOU said is true "PUT IT IN WRITING" aka a contract. Thats why i agree on this matter with u unless we both over looked something!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject:

The "agent" I chatted with made it quite clear that I would only get a week of service if I transferred an old number that close to the end of the year. Of course it took 10 minutes of tying to get her to understand. At first she said they would give me an answer AFTER I bought a new unit and registered it. Which obviously would make no sense, but after a few more minutes, she seemed quite comfortable in her answer of "no extra service for you". So I had her give me my EXACT date of service end so I can go out and buy a new device. Even then I will probably wait until the day after, because Lord help them if I transferred and then found out it was a day early and I needed to fork over another $20. I'm in Florida, with time on my hands, and I would find their office and make a personal unit return. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gashliquor
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 26 Apr 2008
Posts: 447

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject:

nailgunner wrote:
The "agent" I chatted with made it quite clear that I would only get a week of service if I transferred an old number that close to the end of the year. Of course it took 10 minutes of tying to get her to understand. At first she said they would give me an answer AFTER I bought a new unit and registered it. Which obviously would make no sense, but after a few more minutes, she seemed quite comfortable in her answer of "no extra service for you". So I had her give me my EXACT date of service end so I can go out and buy a new device. Even then I will probably wait until the day after, because Lord help them if I transferred and then found out it was a day early and I needed to fork over another $20. I'm in Florida, with time on my hands, and I would find their office and make a personal unit return. Laughing



Im in florida too!, The agent made a mistake and TRUST me again!...If you register a new MJ you are screwed and THEY CAN'T PORT IT...Thats why when you want to port a number from one MJ to another you NEVER EVER HIT register. If you do no port 4u. Also as i said a REGULAR REP at MJ does NOT port your number. They have to put you on hold for a supervisor " I guess they have more server power ". He/She will port it within mins. So if your going to port a number don't bother plugging in the NEW MJ until they tell u2. Being that your in FL walk into YOUR local Radio Shack and look for yourself there should be 4th Gen MJ's galore. I think maybe because we are in FL and so is MJ.



P.S. I edited this message to because other ppl read it. 4th Gen MJ's also besides what i said in other messages about it DO NOT INSTALL THE DRIVERS in " DEVICE MGR " in the same place as 3rd Gen did. If i feel like it and you already have a 4th Gen and Vista 32 bit i'll post how to get ear blasting Audio if your using a "Headset".



MJ also has a service called " LIVE BOOK " where you get a agent that knows more then others take over your computer and fix MJ problems for you for the ppl that did'nt know. To get LIVE BOOK request it from a agent.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject:

gashliquor wrote:
nailgunner wrote:
The "agent" I chatted with made it quite clear that I would only get a week of service if I transferred an old number that close to the end of the year. Of course it took 10 minutes of tying to get her to understand. At first she said they would give me an answer AFTER I bought a new unit and registered it. Which obviously would make no sense, but after a few more minutes, she seemed quite comfortable in her answer of "no extra service for you". So I had her give me my EXACT date of service end so I can go out and buy a new device. Even then I will probably wait until the day after, because Lord help them if I transferred and then found out it was a day early and I needed to fork over another $20. I'm in Florida, with time on my hands, and I would find their office and make a personal unit return. Laughing


Im in florida too!, The agent made a mistake and TRUST me again!...If you register a new MJ you are screwed and THEY CAN'T PORT IT...Thats why when you want to port a number from one MJ to another you NEVER EVER HIT register. If you do no port 4u. Also as i said a REGULAR REP at MJ does NOT port your number. They have to put you on hold for a supervisor " I guess they have more server power ". He/She will port it within mins. So if your going to port a number don't bother plugging in the NEW MJ until they tell u2. Being that your in FL walk into YOUR local Radio Shack and look for yourself there should be 4th Gen MJ's galore. I think maybe because we are in FL and so is MJ.


Thanks, but I understand the process. I was just relaying what SHE said. And I'n not doing ANYTHING for two months BECAUSE I WANT TO KEEP MY FLIPPIN NUMBER.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gashliquor
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 26 Apr 2008
Posts: 447

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject:

nailgunner wrote:
gashliquor wrote:
nailgunner wrote:
The "agent" I chatted with made it quite clear that I would only get a week of service if I transferred an old number that close to the end of the year. Of course it took 10 minutes of tying to get her to understand. At first she said they would give me an answer AFTER I bought a new unit and registered it. Which obviously would make no sense, but after a few more minutes, she seemed quite comfortable in her answer of "no extra service for you". So I had her give me my EXACT date of service end so I can go out and buy a new device. Even then I will probably wait until the day after, because Lord help them if I transferred and then found out it was a day early and I needed to fork over another $20. I'm in Florida, with time on my hands, and I would find their office and make a personal unit return. Laughing


Im in florida too!, The agent made a mistake and TRUST me again!...If you register a new MJ you are screwed and THEY CAN'T PORT IT...Thats why when you want to port a number from one MJ to another you NEVER EVER HIT register. If you do no port 4u. Also as i said a REGULAR REP at MJ does NOT port your number. They have to put you on hold for a supervisor " I guess they have more server power ". He/She will port it within mins. So if your going to port a number don't bother plugging in the NEW MJ until they tell u2. Being that your in FL walk into YOUR local Radio Shack and look for yourself there should be 4th Gen MJ's galore. I think maybe because we are in FL and so is MJ.


Thanks, but I understand the process. I was just relaying what SHE said. And I'n not doing ANYTHING for two months BECAUSE I WANT TO KEEP MY FLIPPIN NUMBER.





I agree, Take what they say with a grain of salt. But on a legal note it's some shit how they take away your activation time due to porting " 5 Mins or Less ".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pbjandfritos
MagicJack Expert


Joined: 25 Jun 2010
Posts: 92
Location: Michigan, United States

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Hello,

The Best Antivirus software that I would recommend is Microsoft Security Essentials. It is free and it doesn't use up a lot of system resources. One thing, in order to run it, you need a leagle version of windows. Also, it isn't a good idea to run two or more antivirus programs at the same time, because they will conflict with each other.
Hope this tip helps.

Ernie
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject:

pbjandfritos wrote:
Hello,

The Best Antivirus software that I would recommend is Microsoft Security Essentials. It is free and it doesn't use up a lot of system resources. One thing, in order to run it, you need a leagle version of windows. Also, it isn't a good idea to run two or more antivirus programs at the same time, because they will conflict with each other.
Hope this tip helps.

Ernie


i would agree, I've used it for about a year and like it. Especially since I recently updated to Windows 7, I like the idea of everything working together. Of course that inter-dependence could bite me in the rear some day, but so far so good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject:

gashliquor wrote:
nailgunner wrote:
gashliquor wrote:
nailgunner wrote:
The "agent" I chatted with made it quite clear that I would only get a week of service if I transferred an old number that close to the end of the year. Of course it took 10 minutes of tying to get her to understand. At first she said they would give me an answer AFTER I bought a new unit and registered it. Which obviously would make no sense, but after a few more minutes, she seemed quite comfortable in her answer of "no extra service for you". So I had her give me my EXACT date of service end so I can go out and buy a new device. Even then I will probably wait until the day after, because Lord help them if I transferred and then found out it was a day early and I needed to fork over another $20. I'm in Florida, with time on my hands, and I would find their office and make a personal unit return. Laughing


Im in florida too!, The agent made a mistake and TRUST me again!...If you register a new MJ you are screwed and THEY CAN'T PORT IT...Thats why when you want to port a number from one MJ to another you NEVER EVER HIT register. If you do no port 4u. Also as i said a REGULAR REP at MJ does NOT port your number. They have to put you on hold for a supervisor " I guess they have more server power ". He/She will port it within mins. So if your going to port a number don't bother plugging in the NEW MJ until they tell u2. Being that your in FL walk into YOUR local Radio Shack and look for yourself there should be 4th Gen MJ's galore. I think maybe because we are in FL and so is MJ.


Thanks, but I understand the process. I was just relaying what SHE said. And I'n not doing ANYTHING for two months BECAUSE I WANT TO KEEP MY FLIPPIN NUMBER.





I agree, Take what they say with a grain of salt. But on a legal note it's some shit how they take away your activation time due to porting " 5 Mins or Less ".


I will quit my rant with this post, probably. But I wonder what the chances are that an "update" agent would notify a poor sap replacing a broken unit and transferring a number that they should wait a day or a week or they will have to pay another $20 in that time frame to continue service. The chances? What is today's Sesame Street work Elmo? ZERO
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gashliquor
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 26 Apr 2008
Posts: 447

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject:

nailgunner wrote:
gashliquor wrote:
nailgunner wrote:
gashliquor wrote:
nailgunner wrote:
The "agent" I chatted with made it quite clear that I would only get a week of service if I transferred an old number that close to the end of the year. Of course it took 10 minutes of tying to get her to understand. At first she said they would give me an answer AFTER I bought a new unit and registered it. Which obviously would make no sense, but after a few more minutes, she seemed quite comfortable in her answer of "no extra service for you". So I had her give me my EXACT date of service end so I can go out and buy a new device. Even then I will probably wait until the day after, because Lord help them if I transferred and then found out it was a day early and I needed to fork over another $20. I'm in Florida, with time on my hands, and I would find their office and make a personal unit return. Laughing





Correct, Zero, Zip, Nada Exclamation

Im in florida too!, The agent made a mistake and TRUST me again!...If you register a new MJ you are screwed and THEY CAN'T PORT IT...Thats why when you want to port a number from one MJ to another you NEVER EVER HIT register. If you do no port 4u. Also as i said a REGULAR REP at MJ does NOT port your number. They have to put you on hold for a supervisor " I guess they have more server power ". He/She will port it within mins. So if your going to port a number don't bother plugging in the NEW MJ until they tell u2. Being that your in FL walk into YOUR local Radio Shack and look for yourself there should be 4th Gen MJ's galore. I think maybe because we are in FL and so is MJ.


Thanks, but I understand the process. I was just relaying what SHE said. And I'n not doing ANYTHING for two months BECAUSE I WANT TO KEEP MY FLIPPIN NUMBER.





I agree, Take what they say with a grain of salt. But on a legal note it's some shit how they take away your activation time due to porting " 5 Mins or Less ".


I will quit my rant with this post, probably. But I wonder what the chances are that an "update" agent would notify a poor sap replacing a broken unit and transferring a number that they should wait a day or a week or they will have to pay another $20 in that time frame to continue service. The chances? What is today's Sesame Street work Elmo? ZERO
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject:

DAMN automatic spell check WORD Elmo...not WORK. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 2844
Location: North East Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Nugrl wrote:
ld love to put Kaspersky back on here if at all possible. any help in that matter would be greatly appreciated.

@bitstopjoe- I have been to the BlackViper site many times, and have stopped some of the unecessary programs from running. I have not gone back to it yet, as I have just completed the format on this system late last night. What are the 2 or 3 AV programs you use? And do you feel really safe by not running the resident in the background?


I use AVG and an older version of Kaspersky ( V4) and 1 other that doesn't come to mind right now. Yes I feel safe becuase since I started with PC's in 1983 I have NEVER EVER had a virus. As I said I am VERY VERY careful to always save ANY attachment first, then right click and scan it. On my Mom's PC I have AVG running in the background and there does not seem to be any system slowdown that I remember Norton causing a few years ago.
I also NEVER click on a link that comes to me via email unless it is a site I go to myself from time to time ( Youtube, Ebaumsworld, Amazon, etc)
So yes I feel safe as so far so good.

Joe Sica
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nugrl
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 354

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject:

bitstopjoe wrote:
Nugrl wrote:
ld love to put Kaspersky back on here if at all possible. any help in that matter would be greatly appreciated.

@bitstopjoe- I have been to the BlackViper site many times, and have stopped some of the unecessary programs from running. I have not gone back to it yet, as I have just completed the format on this system late last night. What are the 2 or 3 AV programs you use? And do you feel really safe by not running the resident in the background?


I use AVG and an older version of Kaspersky ( V4) and 1 other that doesn't come to mind right now. Yes I feel safe becuase since I started with PC's in 1983 I have NEVER EVER had a virus. As I said I am VERY VERY careful to always save ANY attachment first, then right click and scan it. On my Mom's PC I have AVG running in the background and there does not seem to be any system slowdown that I remember Norton causing a few years ago.
I also NEVER click on a link that comes to me via email unless it is a site I go to myself from time to time ( Youtube, Ebaumsworld, Amazon, etc)
So yes I feel safe as so far so good.

Joe Sica



I too have used AVG for quite some time, but then I switch off from that to Kaspersky, just to make sure that AVG isnt' missing anything, and yes, it has. I am probably not as careful as you, but I try. It is kinda funny though as a couple of people here suggested Microsoft Security Essentials and I just had a phone call tonight from my brother telling me this popped up on his screen, and he does not have it installed. So I googled it, and I think it was one of the Fake Alerts that I read about, so I had him run Malwarebytes, and it found 8 trojans. He removed them and so far all seems to be running ok. I would like to run Kaspersky full time, but dont' like how much it slows down my old computer. The three new ones I have here dont' have that problem, unless I am running a full scan.....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject:

Nugrl wrote:
bitstopjoe wrote:
Nugrl wrote:
ld love to put Kaspersky back on here if at all possible. any help in that matter would be greatly appreciated.

@bitstopjoe- I have been to the BlackViper site many times, and have stopped some of the unecessary programs from running. I have not gone back to it yet, as I have just completed the format on this system late last night. What are the 2 or 3 AV programs you use? And do you feel really safe by not running the resident in the background?


I use AVG and an older version of Kaspersky ( V4) and 1 other that doesn't come to mind right now. Yes I feel safe becuase since I started with PC's in 1983 I have NEVER EVER had a virus. As I said I am VERY VERY careful to always save ANY attachment first, then right click and scan it. On my Mom's PC I have AVG running in the background and there does not seem to be any system slowdown that I remember Norton causing a few years ago.
I also NEVER click on a link that comes to me via email unless it is a site I go to myself from time to time ( Youtube, Ebaumsworld, Amazon, etc)
So yes I feel safe as so far so good.

Joe Sica



I too have used AVG for quite some time, but then I switch off from that to Kaspersky, just to make sure that AVG isnt' missing anything, and yes, it has. I am probably not as careful as you, but I try. It is kinda funny though as a couple of people here suggested Microsoft Security Essentials and I just had a phone call tonight from my brother telling me this popped up on his screen, and he does not have it installed. So I googled it, and I think it was one of the Fake Alerts that I read about, so I had him run Malwarebytes, and it found 8 trojans. He removed them and so far all seems to be running ok. I would like to run Kaspersky full time, but dont' like how much it slows down my old computer. The three new ones I have here dont' have that problem, unless I am running a full scan.....


A helpful site is "AV-Comparatives.org", which tests 20 anti-virus products on an on-going basis. Their results are available as PDF's. Not all 20 products are run in all tests, but it gives a good overview. As might be expected, no product, and none mentioned here, are perfect. To my endless dismay, McAfee beat the ones mentioned here in almost all categories, and 2 products TrustPort and G Data, were best on blocking/preventing. They weren't so good on removal/cleaning. I guess if you block it you don't need to clean it up. Anyway, this is another "how many angels will fit on the head of a pin" discussion, because everyones experience is different and everyone knows someone who had a horrible experience with a particular product. And other third party tests have different results. I personally despise McAfee and will refuse to use it even if it suddenly became the only one to work. And BTW, the free Microsoft Essentials help up good against the ones mentioned here and even smoked Kaspersky in false positives. It was horrible in scan time, but I do it while sleeping, so who gives a crap. And if anyone is using something called Kingsoft, get it replaced immediately.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
docooo
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 141

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Wait until you tun across - you been infected - or Windows
Sercerty Alert - there are 2 "worms" that BRING DOWN
any and ALL anti virus programs and will NOT allow you to
run any program ..

The only way is to get Acronis ture Image and do a .tib back up
or run a program called time Frezz from Wondershare ..
You get this from the web and it's nasty - fixed 4 computers
last week with this problem -

1 brings dwn any Anti Virus program
2 lauch's the spyware crap
3 Your screwed

The feds hve been after these people for years - with no luck ..

Doc


Knw back to org. post ..

Will hve to be on the look out for the new MJ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me


Joined: 23 May 2009
Posts: 673
Location: South FL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
And BTW, the free Microsoft Essentials help up good against the ones mentioned here and even smoked Kaspersky in false positives.

Microsoft security essentials caught and cleaned up some nasty stuff.
The scan time is extreme, indeed.

Quote:
I personally despise McAfee and will refuse to use it even if it suddenly became the only one to work.

McAffee has a contract with ATT, thus we get it for "free" as a part of the DSL subscription. One problem with McAffee I found is that once mcaffee, always McAffee, unless you reformat the hard drive.
In an office I have to do some work occasionally a few weeks ago the computer was infected in spite of Mcaffee so badly that the machine needed professional help. And nobody did any nonsense with it when
it happened!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nugrl
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 354

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject:

docooo wrote:
Wait until you tun across - you been infected - or Windows
Sercerty Alert - there are 2 "worms" that BRING DOWN
any and ALL anti virus programs and will NOT allow you to
run any program ..

The only way is to get Acronis ture Image and do a .tib back up
or run a program called time Frezz from Wondershare ..
You get this from the web and it's nasty - fixed 4 computers
last week with this problem -

1 brings dwn any Anti Virus program
2 lauch's the spyware crap
3 Your screwed

The feds hve been after these people for years - with no luck ..

Doc


Knw back to org. post ..

Will hve to be on the look out for the new MJ



let me get this straight...? are you saying you should NOT use Acronis True Image, or are you saying that if Acronis True Image creates a .tib backup then you know you are infected with one of these worms? I am just curious? I guess I don't know alot about Acronis True Image, to understand what you mean.

On another note, is anyone or everyone here running the MJ 2.03 update? and if so, how do you know that is the one you are running? where do I check? the reason I ask that is because my good ol' mj has been acting up again, and I don't know if I am not running the version I need to be.....???
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 2844
Location: North East Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Just right click on your MJ icon in the lower right tray and you will see what version you are running.. It should be grayed out, so look close.
I use Acronis myself and it has been a lifesaver at times. In fact I make an image before installing any new programs or updates. Anything goes wrong or I decide I don't like the program I installed I just do a restore and it is as if nothing was ever installed.
There seems to be a weird virus around the last few months. IF you get an email from someone you know and it has nothing in the body of the message but a link I suggest you do not click on said link. Otherwise your PC will now be infected and an email with the infected link will be sent to everyone in your address book. When they see it came from you they assume it is safe. So far all of these type of emails I have got all came from a Yahoo accounts. So just a heads up to all...

Joe Sica
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nugrl
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 354

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject:

I am running 2.01 on both of the mj's, what should I be running? I did however install the update for magicfeatures.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 2844
Location: North East Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Nugrl wrote:
I am running 2.01 on both of the mj's, what should I be running? I did however install the update for magicfeatures.


Version 2.03 fixes the screensaver/power problem.


Joe Sica
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nugrl
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 354

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject:

bitstopjoe wrote:
Nugrl wrote:
I am running 2.01 on both of the mj's, what should I be running? I did however install the update for magicfeatures.


Version 2.03 fixes the screensaver/power problem.


Joe Sica


power problem? explain that. where do I obtain the 2.03 version to dld it? could you post a link? I am having a brain cramp right now..... Embarassed I guess I should explain the problems I am experiencing as of right now. One being that when I go to dial out, and at first it was just to cellphones, but now its also landlines, that I hear one ring on my end then continuous fast busy signal, then that stops and I hear nothing, yet the call I am trying to make, the person on the receiving end, is there and saying, "Hello,.....Hello.." and I never hear a word of it. Also for some reason it is picking and choosing on when or who to display the caller id, on both the intial incoming call and the call waiting calls. any clues?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 2844
Location: North East Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Nugrl wrote:
bitstopjoe wrote:
Nugrl wrote:
I am running 2.01 on both of the mj's, what should I be running? I did however install the update for magicfeatures.


Version 2.03 fixes the screensaver/power problem.


Joe Sica


power problem? explain that. where do I obtain the 2.03 version to dld it? could you post a link? I am having a brain cramp right now..... Embarassed


Power as in some people do not have a sceensaver come on after a set time but allow their monitor to POWER off ( that is what I do).
Here is the link to the 2.03 update on the MJ site http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/upgrade.exe
As far as the caller ID problem since you are using MF I suggest you look for an answer on their forum http://www.pcphonesoft.com/pcphonesoft/forum/default.asp?CAT_ID=8
As far as the fast busy read here. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24566829-HELP-Magic-Jack-cant-call-local-ISP-area-code

Joe Sica


Last edited by bitstopjoe on Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nugrl
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 354

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject:

bitstopjoe wrote:
Nugrl wrote:
bitstopjoe wrote:
Nugrl wrote:
I am running 2.01 on both of the mj's, what should I be running? I did however install the update for magicfeatures.


Version 2.03 fixes the screensaver/power problem.


Joe Sica


power problem? explain that. where do I obtain the 2.03 version to dld it? could you post a link? I am having a brain cramp right now..... Embarassed


Power as in some people do not have a sceensaver come on after a set time but allow their monitor to POWER off ( that is what I do).
Here is the link to the 2.03 update on the MJ site http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/upgrade.exe

Joe Sica


boy I hope this doesn't screw anything else up by applying this update.... Shocked

ok, I tried to apply this update 3 times and nothing is happening? It still says version 2.01 do I need to restart or something?


Last edited by Nugrl on Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 2844
Location: North East Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject:

Nugrl wrote:

boy I hope this doesn't screw anything else up by applying this update.... Shocked


It didnt for me, it worked just fine..


Joe Sica
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nugrl
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 354

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject:

bitstopjoe wrote:
Nugrl wrote:
bitstopjoe wrote:
Nugrl wrote:
I am running 2.01 on both of the mj's, what should I be running? I did however install the update for magicfeatures.


Version 2.03 fixes the screensaver/power problem.


Joe Sica


power problem? explain that. where do I obtain the 2.03 version to dld it? could you post a link? I am having a brain cramp right now..... Embarassed


Power as in some people do not have a sceensaver come on after a set time but allow their monitor to POWER off ( that is what I do).
Here is the link to the 2.03 update on the MJ site http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/upgrade.exe
As far as the caller ID problem since you are using MF I suggest you look for an answer on their forum http://www.pcphonesoft.com/pcphonesoft/forum/default.asp?CAT_ID=8
As far as the fast busy read here. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24566829-HELP-Magic-Jack-cant-call-local-ISP-area-code

Joe Sica



ok, but it doesn't do it everytime, I make or receive a call. It just picks and chooses I guess..... Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pbjandfritos
MagicJack Expert


Joined: 25 Jun 2010
Posts: 92
Location: Michigan, United States

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Hello Nugrl,

Try uninstalling Magic Jack from the control pannel. Then Plug in your MJ and soon as you plug it in, hold down the Shift key for five seconds to prevent the Magic Jack softphone from coming up. Then run http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/upgrade.exe

Hope this helps.

Ernie
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Nugrl
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 354

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject:

pbjandfritos wrote:
Hello Nugrl,

Try uninstalling Magic Jack from the control pannel. Then Plug in your MJ and soon as you plug it in, hold down the Shift key for five seconds to prevent the Magic Jack softphone from coming up. Then run http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/upgrade.exe

Hope this helps.

Ernie


thank you, I will give that a try, because even after several attempts for some reason that update will not install. but,.... the link that bitstopjoe posted for the upgrade, only downloaded a 4.75Mb sized file. I did a little searching myself for this update, and I came across another link that the file size is 11.3Mb or something like that. Neither bitstopjoes link or the one I found says as to which version either one are. so I am afraid to dld the one I found and install it, if its not the 2.03version...... do you know what I mean?

Ok, just went back to bitstopjoes link and dld'd it again and this time now it is saying 11.3Mb . so who the hell knows what I did the first time I dld'd it. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
docooo
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 141

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject:

Get Acronis and make a back up [ .tib] to ur D drive ..
been using this software for a long time and has saved me
MANY hr's of hveing to rebuild the OS .
Make sure your OS is clean before doing back up .

You will loose E-M and other programs that u install after
doing the .tib unless u inc. back up if u hve to load the tib
after a crash or "worms" etc ..
I back up all Imp. things to my D drive anyway.
From start of Acronis to starting of ur fresh OS is
abt 10 min's - this depends on hw much stuff u got on C

Used to be a free dwn for Maxtor drives ..

Doc


Nugrl wrote:
docooo wrote:
Wait until you tun across - you been infected - or Windows
Sercerty Alert - there are 2 "worms" that BRING DOWN
any and ALL anti virus programs and will NOT allow you to
run any program ..

The only way is to get Acronis ture Image and do a .tib back up
or run a program called time Frezz from Wondershare ..
You get this from the web and it's nasty - fixed 4 computers
last week with this problem -

1 brings dwn any Anti Virus program
2 lauch's the spyware crap
3 Your screwed

The feds hve been after these people for years - with no luck ..

Doc


Knw back to org. post ..

Will hve to be on the look out for the new MJ



let me get this straight...? are you saying you should NOT use Acronis True Image, or are you saying that if Acronis True Image creates a .tib backup then you know you are infected with one of these worms? I am just curious? I guess I don't know alot about Acronis True Image, to understand what you mean.

On another note, is anyone or everyone here running the MJ 2.03 update? and if so, how do you know that is the one you are running? where do I check? the reason I ask that is because my good ol' mj has been acting up again, and I don't know if I am not running the version I need to be.....???
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nugrl
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 354

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject:

docooo wrote:
Get Acronis and make a back up [ .tib] to ur D drive ..
been using this software for a long time and has saved me
MANY hr's of hveing to rebuild the OS .
Make sure your OS is clean before doing back up .

You will loose E-M and other programs that u install after
doing the .tib unless u inc. back up if u hve to load the tib
after a crash or "worms" etc ..
I back up all Imp. things to my D drive anyway.
From start of Acronis to starting of ur fresh OS is
abt 10 min's - this depends on hw much stuff u got on C

Used to be a free dwn for Maxtor drives ..

Doc


Nugrl wrote:
docooo wrote:
Wait until you tun across - you been infected - or Windows
Sercerty Alert - there are 2 "worms" that BRING DOWN
any and ALL anti virus programs and will NOT allow you to
run any program ..

The only way is to get Acronis ture Image and do a .tib back up
or run a program called time Frezz from Wondershare ..
You get this from the web and it's nasty - fixed 4 computers
last week with this problem -

1 brings dwn any Anti Virus program
2 lauch's the spyware crap
3 Your screwed

The feds hve been after these people for years - with no luck ..

Doc


Knw back to org. post ..

Will hve to be on the look out for the new MJ



let me get this straight...? are you saying you should NOT use Acronis True Image, or are you saying that if Acronis True Image creates a .tib backup then you know you are infected with one of these worms? I am just curious? I guess I don't know alot about Acronis True Image, to understand what you mean.

On another note, is anyone or everyone here running the MJ 2.03 update? and if so, how do you know that is the one you are running? where do I check? the reason I ask that is because my good ol' mj has been acting up again, and I don't know if I am not running the version I need to be.....???


now lets delve into dual booting and creating a backup with Acronis. I dual boot on this system here Vista on the C: and Win 7 on the E:, both OS's being on the same drive, just partitioned. So how do you recommend backing that up? Should I do both the Vista and Win7 or can I do one and not the other? My main concern on this system is the Win7 partition.

On one of my other systems here I dual boot XP Pro and Win 7, both OS's being on separate hard drives, and again, if backing that system up, I want to back up those drives separately. No need to intertwine them. what do you suggest?

ps. I did manage to get mj update v. 2.03 installed on both mj's last night, so I will have to see if that made any differences at all with them today........
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
docooo
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 141

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Easy - you make a F Part. and back up your .tib's there .
when u go for recovery it wants to put in what tib goes
were .. so U can back up ur Vista and call it f:\vista.tib
and for ur 7 f:\seven.tib and acronis let u pick what part.
you want these in .

I use Acronis True Image 9 as it's not top heavy

Doc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 2844
Location: North East Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject:

docooo wrote:
Easy - you make a F Part. and back up your .tib's there .
when u go for recovery it wants to put in what tib goes
were .. so U can back up ur Vista and call it f:\vista.tib
and for ur 7 f:\seven.tib and acronis let u pick what part.
you want these in .

I use Acronis True Image 9 as it's not top heavy

Doc


True Image 9 or 2009?? 9 will not back up Win 7. 2009,2010, and 2011 WILL back of Win 7..
Also for her to make a new partition unless she is using a special partition ( I.E. Partition Magic) program all her data will be erased.

Joe Sica
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
docooo
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 141

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject:

Never used 9 to back up "7" - I run XP pro ..

The person will use a new part. - I just do not like the new
Acronis programs as they hve a BIG foot print on ur HD
and do more than what I want to do.. but to each his own

Anyone can read hr what the program does

http://www.acronis.com/

Doc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 2844
Location: North East Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject:

docooo wrote:
Never used 9 to back up "7" - I run XP pro ..

The person will use a new part. - I just do not like the new
Acronis programs as they hve a BIG foot print on ur HD
and do more than what I want to do.. but to each his own

Anyone can read hr what the program does

http://www.acronis.com/

Doc


I didnt want her to get confused as she DOES have 7 on one of her PC's and if she looks for Acronis 9 she will have wasted her money and time as it wont work with 7..

Oh I agree the new version has to many bells and whistles. I still use 11 myself.

Joe Sica
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Powered by phpBB Ultra Turbo Extended Edition Live © 2001-9999, phpBB Group
magicJack and magicJack Plus are trademarks of magicJack LLP. This website is in no way affiliated, endorsed, or sponsored by magicJack LLP, and is an unofficial forum for consumers to openly communicate regarding their experiences with the magicJack products.