Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
try skype, it is like 2.50 a month

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ed2028
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: try skype, it is like 2.50 a month

I heard that skype has a service comparable to mj.
never looked in to it because I spent 220 for my wifi sip phone and 80 dollars for voip sip desk phone.skype requires new hardware.
connecting4less
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:11 am    Post subject:

I use skype and its great

you can also purchase an skypin account which is a phone # so others can call you

and you can buy the skype out plan which is 2.95 per month or pay for the whole year and get i think 25% off

and you will get unlimited US and Canada calls
srvctek
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject:

skype requires new hardware=more money spent, I think I'll just wait until this is figured out, I have almost 6 years of mj service remaining.
james1095
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject:

I've been using Sipgate since yesterday and so far so good. It's even cheaper than Skype and it works with the same old SIP hardware. I gave up on my MJ though I still have some international minutes to burn on that account.

1.8c/min for outgoing calls, if I budget $5/month that's 4.5 hours of outgoing and unlimited incoming calls, that's waaaaaaaaaaay more than I use. YMMV though.
renegade1
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Skype

I have been using Skype for three years and the service is much better then my MJ. I do use the MJ for some long distance but the static is horrible with the phone so I switch to headset and use my laptop mic for sound. With the Skype I talk to people all over the world with video absolutely free and talk as long as I want with no interruptions. I have tried the customer service help with MJ and it is a joke to say the least so I will continue to use the Skype for the majority of my phone service. Cool
chip4p
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject:

why u selling skype??? hear
thisiskate
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject:

I don't understand why people keep on saying Skype. It doesn't use SIP, meaning that you need to have your computer running all the time. I tried it with D-Link adapter, such a pain... Call quality is not great either. For computer to computer, its good though. Given a choice between Skype and MJ, I would go with MJ. If ATAs don't work, probably I go with OOMA or some other pay as you go VOIP services.
maine-iac
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject:

thisiskate wrote:
I don't understand why people keep on saying Skype. It doesn't use SIP, meaning that you need to have your computer running all the time. I tried it with D-Link adapter, such a pain... Call quality is not great either. For computer to computer, its good though. Given a choice between Skype and MJ, I would go with MJ. If ATAs don't work, probably I go with OOMA or some other pay as you go VOIP services.

I don't understand why people keep on saying OOMA.

Personal preference.
VoipDude

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject:

srvctek wrote:
skype requires new hardware=more money spent, I think I'll just wait until this is figured out, I have almost 6 years of mj service remaining.

Skype does not require new hardware. You can use your MJ dongle and the software I have posted on this forum.

VoipDude
monkeyboy
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject:

VoipDude wrote:
srvctek wrote:

Skype does not require new hardware. You can use your MJ dongle and the software I have posted on this forum.

VoipDude
And if you have a WM smartphone that does Wifi, Skype works great with those as well... was in a hotel in Japan with Wifi, Skype'd back to the US on my WM phone... worked great! and much cheaper than any int'l phone service
alphabeta
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject:

VoipDude wrote:
srvctek wrote:

VoipDude

Can you post the link of your skype setup SW for MJ dongle

Thanks
mel2000
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject:

monkeyboy wrote:
if you have a WM smartphone that does Wifi, Skype works great with those as well...

But you have the added cost of wifi service unless you depend on the inconsistency of hotspots.
srvctek
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject:

I have a Philips voip 841 I purchased a couple of years ago but skype costs more than mj so I wont be using it, my thin client should be here in the mail soon.
VoipDude

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject:

alphabeta:

Here is the link to using MJ dongle with Skype:

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/how-to-use-the-magicjack-with-skype-and-a-cordless-phone-t5945.html

VoipDude
monkeyboy
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject:

mel2000 wrote:
monkeyboy wrote:
if you have a WM smartphone that does Wifi, Skype works great with those as well...

But you have the added cost of wifi service unless you depend on the inconsistency of hotspots.
??? Compared with what? Everything we've been talking about here needs to have an Internet connection of some sort...

Skype as an alternative to MJ, presumably at home, office or hotel: needs Internet connection and usually WiFi is available.
VoipDude

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject:

My post and link to software for using the MJ dongle with Skype is now a Sticky on this forum. Please refer to the Sticky for further info.

VoipDude
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: