Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TSIndex (troubleshooting scratchpad index)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jagginess
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: TSIndex (troubleshooting scratchpad index)

Sometimes a product doesnt work and technical support doesnt help. Here are tools and tips you can use to help troubleshoot and diagnose your magic jack setup.
I'm no expert but decided to compile a few things I picked up on this forum and from other sites in quotations. Reading on these snip bits helped me better troubleshoot my magicjack installation, I hope you can help fulfill some misunderstandings and that there may be errors. Also I made sure that there's nothing illegal here that would render your magicjack terms of service void.. Some common issues I noticed on this forum and this other popular site which is now obsolete (http://magicjackhacks.blogspot.com/) I tried to make easier for others to navivate to by using url links and short description summaries whats on those pages. I hope this may help encourage others to build a faq sheet of some sort. Your response would be appreciated if you can help improve some of these topics.

(also note this is not an official FAQ or experted guide of any sort from me, nor am i a hacker so dont ask, nor can I be able to answer any questions you may have in troubleshooting but would rather encourage you to continue the appropriate started thread on this site or create a new topic as necessary)

bottom line purpose is to help other's find a shorter navigation route to common problems and have others feed in a response to common questions..
.. as well as encourage at least someone to take the handle of creating a faq guide somewhere so that troubleshooting can become more effective..

A good start would be a monthly-made tip sheet for topics of interest. The following is nothing more than a scratchpad and have found it to suit my personal quest on resolving issues with the magicjack device. I'm sure there are more talented people out there who can make a better list of troubleshooting tips. I have only been using my magicjack for two days and was able to pick up all of this in the course of a few hours..

please note, respond or contribute back to this forum -- not to other obsolete sites this page may reference to..

topics of interest:
--------------------
Usb-device not recognized by MagicJack software?
Audio-device not recognized by MagicJack software?
Changing a proxy server improves performance?
Configuring a softphone
Dedicated MagicJack server on a thinclient
Stop autopopups?
What, a magicjack chat server
Can you use other softphones with magicjack
Magicjack as a service or from another non-default directory?
Outbound Caller ID blocking and spoofing
Other Calling Issues?
About Windows Tools I found useful
Troubleshooting phone#'s feedback?
SIP info? Network diagnose?
A note about MacDrive on windows- trivial curiosity
List of diagnostic tools mentioned
Your response greatly appreciated

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
your response greatly appreciated
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any tips, responses to my questions please feel free to start a new topic entitle "<topic of interest> Tip ". There are answers clusttered everywhere and I hope more people can get together to put some groundwork into making a comprehensive troubleshooting faq guide or at least have a compiled tiplist of common interest. If you'd like to contribute to this list of interests please be free to start a new topic with an appropriate subjectline and tell us your new topic.. If you do this be sure to have done a nice compilation offline like in a notepad editor then pasting it to your browser.. cheers..

Usb-device not recognized by MagicJack software?
Magic Software installs properly, device has already been recognized.
((
So the installer ran properly but the program does not work. It may have worked once and now you're stuck.

Delete MagicJack software & Usb device
-
kill process magicjack, magicloader if in memory (start/run/ taskmgr.exe or press ctl-alt-esc to start taskmanager)
delete folder C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\mjusbsp (vista) (similar one should be in xp)
delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\talk4free registry key
delete usb-device from device manager

other source:

a note from this other source(lost link sorry)-- there's a mentioning of utscsi.exe and clcv0-- i believe these 2 belong to an older version of magicjack.. ( a ver of 2007)

i dont believe its safe to edit the registry, and be careful if you do..(below mentions the registry way of removing the magicjack usb device)
""
how to uninstall-extra note
-
This file:
c:\windows\system32\utscsi.exe

and this service:
CLCV0

(from registry)

I'm going to see if I can get an answer from them on these issues you're reporting.
Also, here are the instructions they sent me for removing the software from Windows.

Please unplug your magicJack. Now go to "Start" in Windows and click on "run". In there write regedit and press enter.

Now click on + sign next to HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE.

Click on + sign next to SYSTEM

Click on + sign next to CurrentControlSet

Click on + sign next to Enum

Now find folder called USB. Right click on that and click on "Permissions". In permissions click on the check mark called "Allow" to the right of "Full Control".

Click Ok.

Now click on + sign next to USB and then find the two folders called "Vid1307", right click on one at a time and select delete.

Now click on - Sign next to USB.

Right click on Folder called USBSTOR and allow permissions.

Now click on + sign next to USBSTOR.

Find the folders called "CdRom&Ven_YMAX&Prod_MagicJack&Rev"

and "Disk&Ven_YMAX&Prod_MagicJack&Rev"

Right click on those one at a time and delete them.

""

))

Audio-device not recognized by MagicJack software?
((
I dont think I have seen other people reporting about "audio" device not found solutions.. but it this problem happened to me.
After re-installing the software more than 2 times and doing the above total-reinstall trick (killing task, deleting software and usb-device, and reg key)..
my magicjack software was not working even though the device was perfectly installed.
The reason is that 1 the magicjack software is pretty crappy and 2 i had exotic audio device drivers..
Neither my headset nor magicjack device was being detected by the software.

Solution: simply disable the other exotic audio device drivers..
I didnt need to re-install magicjack.. (kill process, disable exotic audio drivers, then restart magicjack)
(I also had virtual camera drivers that I seldomly ever used and disabled that as well.. that may have had an effect as well)..

))

Changing a proxy server improves performance? (It has not for me)
(( source: http://magicjackhacks.blogspot.com/
"
Now that magicJack has implemented a DNS entry for the proxy server address, it is possible to change the proxy server you use. This can be done in the by pointing the proxy address in the windows hosts file.

For Example:

If your magicJack is pointing to the following proxy:
proxy1.nashville.talk4free.com

and you want to change it to:
proxy1.newyork.talk4free.com

Ping proxy1.newyork.talk4free.com to get the IP address

Now just add the folowing entry to your windows hosts file
67.106.135.70 proxy1.nashville.talk4free.com

Note: magicJack has many proxy servers to choose using the following naming order:
proxy1.{city}.talk4free.com
"
))

Configuring a softphone
My opinion on this matter is that unless you're in a similar situation where the magicjack software is conflicting
with your other exotic audio device drivers.. the customer should have the right to still make use of his prepaid bill..
(in my case i had to disable other audio device drivers-- I can live with it but i dont think others can, so this guide may be of handy-- however you still have to find a way to read the sip pw)
(( source: http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/walk-through-to-configure-a-different-softphone-t96.html
Xlite has been said to work. http://www.counterpath.com/x-lite.html&active=4
I've installed ip phone center and it detected my magic-jack device.. but didnt bother than going further than this curiousity..
http://www.tjnet.com/software/ip_phone/

))

Dedicated MagicJack server on a thinclient?
Can this be an easy avenue for running a self-dedicated and troubleshoot free server for the magicjack?
(( source: http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/hp-thin-client-and-magic-jack-t685.html
from the description, a magicjack device is needed to be plugged in the thin-client and is supposedly is compatible with the software installed..(Xp SP2 embedded OS)
))

Stop autopopups?
((
source:http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/keep-app-from-popping-up-t107.html
from the source link, people spoke of
4t Tray Minimizer Free http://www.4t-niagara.com/tray.html
AutoSizer http://www.southbaypc.com/AutoSizer/

I also noticed that no icon or program of magicjack is visually identifiable when having magicjack setup as a service.. which I can tell has worked for me..
(see 'Magicjack as a service or from another non-default directory?' section)

))

What, a magicjack chat server? What is this?
((source:http://magicjackhacks.blogspot.com/
""
Join the MagicJack Chat!

MagicJack used to have a public chatroom, but they recently removed it. Follow these instructions to join the community chat!

edit c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and insert the lines:

* 63.209.28.41 www.magicjack.com
* 65.110.6.50 magicjack.com

(The first entry allows you to get to the real MagicJack site, and the second lets you get into the chat. The underlying chat software checks referrers, so we add these entries to spoof the referrers.)

flush your dns cache by running:
ipconfig /flushdns

Now just join the chat: http://magicjack.com/chat/
""
))

Can you use other softphones with magicjack? I believe you can- I installed Ip phone center and it detected my magicjack.
(( source: http://magicjackhacks.blogspot.com/
""
Using MagicJack hardware with Skype
Software and directions can be found on TigerJet's website

http://www.tjnet.com/software/ip_phone/index.htm
Posted by Administrator at 1:11 PM 0 comments
Using MagicJack Hardware with CUPhone
MagicJack can be used with CUPhone right out of the box. Just download the software from CUPhone and it will recoginze magicJack.

http://www.cuphone.com/sipc_update/index.htm
""
))

Magicjack as a service or from another non-default directory?
If you dont want to run magicjack from your user account but say you want to do so under another account, here's a guide. But from my experience you can also do a little more- such as running magicjack as a service but not having the softphone interface.
((source: http://magicjackhacks.blogspot.com/
""
Starting MagicJack without the using magicjackloader.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\mjusbsp\magicJack.exe /foreground /scf _magicJackPersonalDataRoot "F:\magicJack"

Replace "user" with correct path and "F:" with with the proper MagicJack "Phone" drive letter

Other arguments for magicJack can be found in the SJPhone Users Guide
http://www.sjphone.org/doc/SJphone_User_Guide.pdf
""
))
as a service (it worked for my testing on my vista32-bit machine)
- When I tried it, it worked. As a service
(( source: http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/magic-jack-as-a-service-a-better-way-t1364.html
\\basically follow the instructions but still sends traffic when you're not using your rj11 phone.
\\and it also probably still downloads advertisements in the background.
\\
my extra input on this is you dont have to put magicjack binary files under anyone's home user account, and can rather
have the service start up magicjack from c:\magicjackservice\
(you can copy the described srvany.exe file from the rktools kit to this directory)
-- also for the cdloader<-- someone says you can use ";" in the run key.. basically the ; comments out the line... but i have no idea what the cdloader is for..
I believe having it run as a service does not break the terms of service, but I didnt like this method as I found out that my
softphone works better without using an rj11 phone- and dont mind the very few ads that do show up.

Somebody mentioned this service being created?
"CLCV0"
but I did not notice any service of this name.
Is this because others are not using XP or Vista?.. previous version of magicjack was doing this?

))

Outbound Caller ID blocking and spoofing? Does this break the terms of service? if it does dont do this.. I dont find anything useful out of this in order to get your magicjack working.. and I think pointing it out here would be better for the magicjack developing people do to something about it. I wouldn't like to have telemarketing spammers using magicjacks. Some people say they spoof their caller-id to fool friends.. tsk.. I dont see the ride here.. but some people might use it as some form of exploitation on others..
(( source:: http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/outbound-caller-id-blocking-and-spoofing-t68.html
))
-- one particular individual says he uses caller-id spoofing for people to call back to his landline. I say this is sound productive and dont see as much negativity from this argumentive point.
((source:: same
""
Spoofing Caller ID
I just noticed that Stewart posted how to spoof the caller ID from your MagicJack line. Read the post here. I was able to use the perl script to set my outbound caller id to my grand central line. This is great until MagicJack has numbers in my area code!

You can also set your caller id to any other number to fool your friends!
""
))

Other Calling Issues?
Something fishy I picked up about using "*". Can someone tell me if this really does help fix calling issues?

Reach people in your area code? Problems dialing to other people like you were promised (but just doesnt work).
Perhaps the following trick might work.

The above caller-id spoof may be of judgmental value- especially if you'd rather have your landline id than an area code they're not used to identifying you-- It so happens that I too dont have an area code for my magicjack meanwhile I am still testing it for about the next 30 days..

.. but here's something else.. now I dont know if this is works but a few people said it has..

((source:http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/canada-and-other-stupid-magic-tricks-t1256.html
""
It appears that inserting a * after the first digit of a number changes the selected carrier, providing a workaround for various troubles.

Examples:

4*167895161 -- call Canada reliably.
8*004377950 -- sends your MJ number as ANI, instead of Choice One's (also spoofable). Useful when calling companies that use ANI to identify you or your location.
2*128675309 -- workaround for present spoofing woes.
5*122345789 (where 512-234-5789 is your own MJ number) -- test if your MJ is reachable from the PSTN (should show incoming on softphone and go to VM after 4 rings.

Sorry, I don't know whether you can dial this way from a phone connected to a MJ (they're painting my flat and the MJ is in a closet behind the plastic sheeting). Someone please try this for me. If it doesn't work, see if it works dialing from the softphone. I'll then edit this post accordingly.

Edit: It turns out that when dialing via MJ, you can't call with the above formats, because the software thinks that the number is complete after 10 characters and the last digit never gets sent. However, if you precede the number by *67 (normally would block caller ID but that's not implemented yet), then the call will go as expected. For example, dial *678*004377950. (If you are using an ATA or IP phone and have the dial plan set correctly, the *67 is not needed.)
""
))

About Windows Tools I found useful
((

taskmgr.exe (task manager)
------------------
used for killing magicjack process (unfortunately magicjack has no exit option anywhere)

pmdump.exe http://ntsecurity.nu/downloads/pmdump.exe
------------------
someone told me it may be used to retrieve forgotten passwords..
can someone tell me if this is just the registration password or can the sip password be recovered?

the logic here is, if one were to use a sip diagnostic tool knowing his sip id (which can be retrieved with using

magicjackloader.exe /scf _magicJackPersonalDataRoot /lf logname.txt
(c:\otherpath\log.txt didnt seem to work)(log is plain text and can help determine sid related info for troubleshooting)

Are there more "/" parameters that can be used with magicjackloader.exe or even magicjack.exe?
I tried using exescope to help determine param strings but was out of luck.. I'

sandiebox.exe http://www.sandboxie.com/ (does not work on vista 64)
------------------
great tool for troubleshooting, stores registry writes, file copy-installs in a virtual environment.. basically you can tell by this tool
that magicjack is not much of a private hijacker by studying where it is making all of its writes.. using the magicjack installer under sandiebox however
was not able to detect my magicjack unfortunately.. it may to some.. tell me if it works for you..

The reason why I'd like to know if sandiebox works for you is because if magicjack is ever hacked into from an outside intrusion, the damage can be kept
to a minimal in its virtual environment..

windows recovery http://www.mitec.cz/Downloads/WRR.zip
------------------
used for reading reghive from sandiebox (sometimes windows hooks onto the reghive and you must use a process explorer to close handles)

Troubleshooting phone#'s feedback?
((
does talk4free provide this free# for verifiying one's magicjack # ? I'm sick and tired of calling my house #!
-> see Calling Issues? (section above)
Is this a legitimate number to test to see if one's magicjack device is functioning?

))

SIP info? Network diagnose?
((
diagnosing talk4free providers..
talk4free sip providers/proxy?

Samples I found using wireshark
map.joysoft.com (ad server?)
proxy1.<acity>.talk4free.com
vms1.<acity>.talk4free.com

diagnosing sip info
basic sip info can be found with cainabel and with "/lf" param using magicloader
...except for the sip password which i have no clue how to identify.. (is sip pw an accurate term here?)
I think this would be a great plus.. how do magicjack consumers know if it is either their magicjack software or hardware is working properly?
last time I checked they had a "vista" fix because so many vista users were having no idea what was wrong with their new purchase..
however i dont think i need to dwelve into this since i got my device working eventually on my vista machine. but if it would be beneficial to others, a tip or two wouldnt be a nuissance for this section.. (someone told me about it being 4 digits, another said sometime later it went to 12, recently i read that it is 20 alphanumeric for some people)
if you know someway/or posted instruction on how to retrieve the registration pw or the sip pw.. then it would be nice to get a post.. ( someone told me pmdump is totally legal to post since it isnt reverse engineering)(there's also a progam called 'winhex' which can open processes from ram but have no clue if it is suitable for this task)

))

A note about MacDrive on windows:
--
.. is absolutely trivial.. but if you're using MacDrive for Windows you'll be able to see a mac file binary in one of the two letter drives from the magicjack device.. The two drives are: 1 a fat16 filesystem(drive name called PHONE), the 1 other is an hfs file system containing a mac program (drivename called magicJack)...
.. dunno if anything from this drive in windows would be good to know what's in it for troubleshooting..

List of diagnostic tools mentioned
((
taskmgr.exe (task manager)
pmdump.exe http://ntsecurity.nu/downloads/pmdump.exe
sandiebox.exe http://www.sandboxie.com/ (does not work on vista 64)
windows recovery http://www.mitec.cz/Downloads/WRR.zip
wireshark http://www.wireshark.org/
cainabel http://www.oxid.it/cain.html

-more network diagnostic tools can be found at http://sectools.org
))

your response greatly appreciated
If you have any tips, responses to my questions please feel free to start a new topic entitle "<topic of interest> Tip ". There are answers clusttered everywhere and I hope more people can get together to put some groundwork into making a comprehensive troubleshooting faq guide or at least have a compiled tiplist of common interest. If you'd like to contribute to this list of interests please be free to start a new topic with an appropriate subjectline and tell us your new topic.. If you do this be sure to have done a nice compilation offline like in a notepad editor then pasting it to your browser.. cheers..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: