Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Two lines with magicJack?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hengist
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Two lines with magicJack?

Is it possible to have two magicJack lines from one computer system? In other words, can I plug two magicJacks into one one computer to get two telephone lines?

If it is not possible to have two lines from one computer, what is the least expensive way to have two magicJack lines from one cable internet connection?

Thank you for your help!
stroths
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject:

I haven't read into this much recently, but last I read you can only run 1 MJ per machine. However, some got around this by running a second MJ on a virtual machine (vmware).

As far as other methods, you could use an ATA, but that would require getting all the SIP info setup. I haven't gone this route, so I can't really advise.

You could also buy a cheap PC off ebay and run it on that one. This is assuming you have a router with multiple ports to share your connection. If you can find it, a cheap laptop with a broken screen would work well with low power usage and a built in battery backup.
lcompton
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Two lines with magicJack?

Good evening, Hengist.

Hengist wrote:
Is it possible to have two magicJack lines from one computer system? In other words, can I plug two magicJacks into one one computer to get two telephone lines?

I haven't tried this. But, magicJack technical support, such that it is, states no. I have some ideas on why it won't function, but it's a subject for another article if I can find the time to write it.

Hengist wrote:
If it is not possible to have two lines from one computer, what is the least expensive way to have two magicJack lines from one cable internet connection?

When I setup my original magicJack last April, I purchased a Thin Client on eBay for USD71.00 (including shipping). It was an absolute pain getting it setup (you can read my articles on the subject in the Reviews forum. I wrote extensively about my experiences with this.) The price of Thin Clients have increased sharply due to increased demand fueled, in part, by some folks going into business for themselves and re-selling Thin Clients pre-configured for magicJack.

Last September, I setup a second magicJack on a dedicated telephony server using an inexpensive laptop I purchased off of Craig's List. The laptop is a Dell Latitude C800 and cost me USD100.00. I met the gentleman from whom I purchased the laptop at the local Starbucks on a Sunday morning, he gave me the laptop and I gave him five twenties. When I returned home, I plugged the laptop into my network, applied power, and plugged in the new magicJack. I was in Ready to Call in under three minutes.

The Dell Latitude C800 was released in 2000. It originally shipped with Windows 2000 but the gentleman from whom I purchased mine had upgraded it to Windows XP Professional. The laptop has a Pentium III 1GHz CPU and 512MB RAM. The USB ports are revision 1.1.

I created a magicJack power profile which essentially turns off the display after one minute and hard drive after three minutes. The magicJack power profile never lets the laptop go into standby or hibernation. I also set the the power profile to do nothing if the clam shell (display lid) is closed. The fan goes on a few times per day for about 10-15 seconds. The hard drive spins up a few times per day and quiets down after the three minute time-out.

I thought I was going to have to settle on a broken laptop to meet my financial constraints, but the laptop I got is fully functioning. It even has a multi-region DVD player, which I sometimes use to watch British programs burned on Region 2 DVDs that an acquaintance from England loans me. The laptop can drive my television with S-Video and stereo audio.

You can also try eBay. I found eBay frustrating because I kept getting outbid. This is what happens when one is financially contrained. If you decide to use Craig's List, be patient. It took me about 6-8 weeks of patience before a suitable laptop showed up that I was able to get to before someone else.

Good luck!

Thank you.

Lisa Smile

P.S. Here is a link to my review articles from last spring and summer.
emiliomcol
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject:

i test the vmware option and works fine for me i mean MJ works great on the Vmware i think that could work for what you want
Hengist
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Thank you all for your help! I think I'll give the VMware option a try. But if that doesn't work, I could use a couple of thin clients. Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: