Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Unable to dial with telephone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
opieandy
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject:

LikeMagic wrote:
dcinelli wrote:
I've gotten that powered USB port solution from MJ tech support for every issue I had. I think it's BS for the most part.

I don't think it's BS for the most part. MJ device has a jack for the telephone and in order to ring the phone, MJ device has to have enough current to power its own circuit plus its internal ringing circuit to produce 45-65V AC to ring the phone. Most PC's USB 2.0 ports provides 5v @ 500ma max which is what MJ device need to power itself & ringing circuit. But some USB 1.1 ports only provide 5v @ low current (<300ma) which is why MJ tech chat recommends external self powered hub to make sure the MJ device has enough current to function properly.

I have a USB 2.0 port, so do you think it's worth the trouble to buy an AC-powered USB port?
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject:

opieandy wrote:
LikeMagic wrote:
dcinelli wrote:
I've gotten that powered USB port solution from MJ tech support for every issue I had. I think it's BS for the most part.

I don't think it's BS for the most part. MJ device has a jack for the telephone and in order to ring the phone, MJ device has to have enough current to power its own circuit plus its internal ringing circuit to produce 45-65V AC to ring the phone. Most PC's USB 2.0 ports provides 5v @ 500ma max which is what MJ device need to power itself & ringing circuit. But some USB 1.1 ports only provide 5v @ low current (<300ma) which is why MJ tech chat recommends external self powered hub to make sure the MJ device has enough current to function properly.

I have a USB 2.0 port, so do you think it's worth the trouble to buy an AC-powered USB port?

It's hard to say. USB 2.0 specs specify max 500ma per USB port but it's up to the motherboard MFG to follow the specs closely or not. If you don't have any issue with your MJ device then you don't need to buy & try self-powered USB hub.
dsheafer
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject:

I tried the Wav file, it does not break the dialtone. Once I break the dial tone by pressing enter a digit on the softphone, it does recognize the dtmf tones.
rr46033
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject:

Hi,

I have basically the same problem as dsheafer. I have also tried all the suggested fixes in this thread to no avail.

I have used the MagicJack regularly for six months now with no problems. As of about a week ago, I can't dial with the keys of any of the phones I had been using successfully for the past six months. I can dial with the softphone and the calls will connect, but then the person on the other end can't hear my voice. Also, strangely, I know the MagicJack is still recognizing these phones in some ways, because I can bring up the softphone by clicking the Talk button on my phone and I can end the attempted calls with the Off button on my phone. It seems like MagicJack just doesn't "recognize" the number keys of my phones any more.

And, in my case, I can rule out the possibility (as someone suggested) that a MagicJack software update has suddenly made my model of phone incompatible: I have the MagicJack plugged into my home's wall socket so that it works with/rings through three phones in my house, each phone of a different brand/model. This setup has worked for six months with these different phone models, and they all suddenly started having exactly the same problem described above about a week ago. (Also, to clarify, I didn't change anything whatsoever on my computer prior to this problem starting, so this problem isn't related to some new program or setting that I introduced.)

Does anyone have any further ideas on how to fix this problem? I'm really stuck. I really like the MagicJack, have had great success with it, and want to continue using it. But I am having no luck with all the fixes I've tried so far.

Thank you, everyone!

-RR
dsheafer
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject:

I've had no luck correct the unable to break dialtone issue, who do you contact, other than the online customer service, to get a replacement?
zowiehowie17
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject:

I'm having the same issue. I was able to dial from a desk phone, but not anymore. I chatted with support this AM for over an hour, and they cant figure out the issue :-/
TheFonz
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject:

Lucky me....my exact problem too.

In my case, I can start with the softphone dial and finish with the regular phone keypad - but after it connects to the number called immediately hans up. Softphone dial to same number stays connected.

Any resolution/updates to this problem???
DewaltDakota
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: I'm in the same boat

I have the same problem with my MagicJack. Mine worked for about 2 weeks, then started having the problem, where in order to start dialing, I had to use the softphone. I went through 3 hours of tech support chat, and finally convinced them to send me a new unit. The new one worked fine for three days ... and then IT started having the same problem!
TheFonz
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject:

They never got back to me on my issue. I'll chat em up again today.

In the meantime, I ordered another unit, so we should be able to tell whether this is a computer issue; or a device issue. If the new one fores right up - then I think we have an answer Smile
Swansen
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject:

i think that this thread should be a sticky, it seems to come up a lot. Also, i have the same issue as everyone else here. Two me there is seemingly two problems, ether the magic jack dongle itself is not working, or something in windows is causing the issue, and being that there can be a lot of problems with windows, its a possibility. I want to see if i can get a new one, and if that doesn't work, i'm going to re-install windows....
On a final note, what exactly should you delete as far as Magic jack files go?? i just found six files in the windows folder?? are those it or?
offthefront
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject:

I had the same problem ...could not use the handset only the soft phone .....My problem was the USB audio device was disabled ( go to device Manager) .....mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Swansen
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject:

no, its odd, some times it works, some times it doesn't, mostly, it does not work. Its not disabled, i talked to tech on four different occasions, nothing was resolved. I'm getting a new unit, we'll see if it works.
monkeyboy
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Same here, as reported earlier in another thread... When I first got MJ, all phones I tried worked fine. After about 4 months of usage, only one (of 6) phones worked (the old BELL phone). Softphone worked fine. When reported here, there was speculation that this VERY COMMON observation was due to a flakey chip that goes bad after a few months, which then causes the MJ to fail to recognize DTMF tones (dialing key presses).

I tried 2 LONG chats with MJ tech support -- the usual waste of time, going around in circles, repeated updates/downloads that did nothing. Finally I decided to LIE to them, told them my MJ *completely* didn't work. I got them finally to agree to send a replacement. This new one works fine with all my original phones... we'll see if it lasts...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: