magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unable to receive calls if port forwarding is turned off

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlpineMan
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: Unable to receive calls if port forwarding is turned off Reply with quote

I'm using a Linksys PAP2T-NA. I followed the screenshot configuration for the PAP2 posted in one of the threads to match exactly what they have. I'm using Buffalo WHR-G54S routers with Tomato v1.23 firmware around the house using WDS. The PAP2 is in one of my WDS routers. I'm able to make calls fine, but I'm unable to receive incoming calls unless I turn on port forwarding for UDP 5060, 5070, and 5071. According to my searches here, port forwarding is required for Linksys routers if they have Linksys firmware, it looks like this is true for my Buffalo router w/ Tomato, too...or am I just missing something? My "Register Expires" is already set to 180. I currently have 1 MJ account and am planning to get another one for a second line, but if port forwarding is required, then my 2nd line won't be able to receive incoming calls since I can only port forward these 3 ports onto 1 IP address.

Anyone know what else I need to check? Thanks!
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your router being supplied with a public IP address or a private IP address? The only reason I ever acquiesce to forwarding ports inbound through a NAT router is if that NAT router is behind yet another NAT router, like in a hotel or office or apartment building or low cost ISP.

Compare your WHR's reported WAN address with the address that comes back from whatismyip.com. If they don't match, this is likely your problem. If they do match, we will have to ponder this some more.
AlpineMan
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, my main router is getting a public ip that matches from whatsmyip.com
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Unable to receive calls if port forwarding is turned off Reply with quote

AlpineMan wrote:
According to my searches here, port forwarding is required for Linksys routers if they have Linksys firmware,

Incorrect. Some people with newer Linksys routers have had to disable their firewalls or forward external to internal ports to work around a bug in the firmware of those newer routers.

Mark
AlpineMan
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it makes any difference, but I have an ABN Adapter (from nextalarm.com) which is a PAP2T-NA...no port forwarding there. I also have a SunRocket Gizmo ATA (Innomedia MTA6328-2Re) box used for net2phone...no forwarding there either, and both work 100% incoming/outgoing...these 2 attached via WDS as well (different room).
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've got it. The PAP2-T thread shows no entry for STUN.

Go to the bottom of the SIP page on your PAP2. For STUN Server, put "stun.ekiga.net:3478", no quotes. Set STUN Enable to Yes and STUN Test Enable to No. Leave NAT Keep Alive Intvl at 15.

Let us know if that does it.
pagemen
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is almost the same setup as mine: Tomato on main router then second router setup as WDS bridge(OpenWRT+Asterisk, actually) with PAP2(flash to SPA1001) hooked.

I have no problem receiving calls here, other than STUN, I also turn on "NAT Mapping Enable:" and "NAT Keep Alive Enable:"----suppose that's the way to keep the router ports open for PAP2 without port forwarding.
AlpineMan
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not applied the STUN and NAT stuff, but it looks like I'm able to receive incoming calls ever since I rebooted the PAP2T after applying the config screens from the PAP2T config thread, and port forwarding turned off in my main Buffalo Wifi router. I thought changes take effect and a reboot already occurs when you make changes...I dunno. If I get no rings again later, I'll apply the STUN and NAT suggestions...or should I do those now anyway?

BTW, I don't see a "NAT Mapping Enable:" and "NAT Keep Alive Enable:" entries in my PAP2T. I have Firmware Version: 5.1.6(LS)...nevermind...saw it in Line settings.
pagemen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case, without STUN, both incoming and outgoing calls still work fine, but the ATA would fail to register if the WAN IP changes, and I have to power cycle the unit----even reboot wouldn't help. Needless to say, STUN solves the issue.

It's safe to turn on "NAT Keep Alive", as thats exactly what official MJ dongle does, the "correct" period is 20 seconds instead of default 15, though.
AlpineMan
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I went ahead and added the STUN and NAT settings just in case my public IP changes. Thanks mberlant and pagemen for your help...couldn't have solved my problem without you!!!
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pagemen wrote:
It's safe to turn on "NAT Keep Alive", as thats exactly what official MJ dongle does, the "correct" period is 20 seconds instead of default 15, though.
20 seconds is less wear and tear on your internet connection, but it doesn't matter to MJ's servers. STUN is just between your client and the STUN server (they all interchangeable). The results of the STUN transaction are reported to the SIP server in the Register packet, but the SIP server is blind to how your client got that information.
pagemen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mberlant wrote:
pagemen wrote:
20 seconds is less wear and tear on your internet connection, but it doesn't matter to MJ's servers. STUN is just between your client and the STUN server (they all interchangeable). The results of the STUN transaction are reported to the SIP server in the Register packet, but the SIP server is blind to how your client got that information.

both 15 and 20 seconds would work, I just want to keep sync. with the MJ usb dongle, which sends keep alive msg. every 20 seconds.
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 seconds is a plenty good number. If it happens to be the same number as the MJ softphone, that is a fine coincidence. My comment was only to remind everyone not to fret about that setting because STUN transactions do not touch MJ, even if you are using the softjoys STUN server.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: