Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
unplugging Magic Jack from usb port

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jethrocane
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: unplugging Magic Jack from usb port

Hi:
I just wondered if there was a proper way to unplug the magic jack. Normally with a usb device you right click on the small icon near the clock and click safely remove device. I don't want to damage it by unplugging it improperly. Any suggestions? (It has worked perfect for me so far!)
Thanx
JoelIrwin
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Some people use the icon in the tray to remove their USBs, most in my opinion do not. I have personally never had a problem removing a USB device manually without using the tray including MJ. Its your call.
decimator97
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject:

+1 on that sir, i too wouldn't remove through the tray coz it will also remove the settings, the next time you plug your jack will take eternity once again to use MJ
kcowan
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Safe removal appiles to disk and other storage devices that operate on a memory cache, and the process forces the cache to be written to disk making it safe to remove without loss of data. Not required for the MJ.
semicharm
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Windows doesn't typically write-cache USB devices for that very reason.
HobNob
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject:

If you look at the Device Manager Properties\Policies Tab for the YMAX Disk drive, the chosen Radio Button is "Optimize for quick removal - This setting disables write caching on the disk and in Windows, so you can disconnect this device without using the Safe Removal icon." I believe this flash drive is the only removable storage that is written during a session, so no problem just unplugging. However, using the Safe Removal icon does have the benefit of automatically terminating the MJ Softphone, although I guess that may also happen if you just pull the plug?
wascallywabbit
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject:

sometimes if a device is removed without doing the safe removal when it is reconnected it is not recognized.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: