magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unsolicited Testimonials

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edkoby
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Unsolicited Testimonials Reply with quote

Here is a brief update on my use of the Magicjack VOIP telephone service.

I have completed the whole house wiring configuration which allows the magicjack (MJ) to connect to all existing house wall phone jacks. The few things I needed to do were: a) Cancel my service with local phone company (AT&T), b) open phone box outside of house and dis-connect AT&T incoming lines (this is permissable), c) connect MagicJack output plug to the closest wall phone jack. This thus connected all the wall phone jacks since the lines all connected (in parallel) in the junction box outside the house. This entire operation took about 10-15 minutes. I did use the DSL splitter/filter AT&T gave me from my DSL Internet service equipment to allow me to connect the MJ to the wall jack and also connect a wireless phone. You can use any similar unit if you have one or get from Radio Shack/Home Depot etc. for a few dollars. (I now use Comcast Cable for Internet since I got 6-months for $19.99 and a $150 cash rebate, with free cable modem.)

I connected my HP brand fax machine to one of the other wall phone jacks. Per instructions from MagicJack firm in West Palm Beach I re-configured the fax/modem to operate at its slowest capacity a.k.a. 9000 baud (versus the high speed previous setting a.k.a. 36,000 baud rate). Interestingly, MJ does not "officially" support use of fax equipment on their service..but they told me it does work well..preferably if you use the slower baud transmission rates. (see above).

Test of fax worked fine. But I did have to repeat test until I remembered to turn off the answering machine on my wireless phone and also to set up the fax to answer before the answering service for MJ activates. Ultimately I set my fax to connect on the 3rd ring to the MJ. WORKED PERFECT!!! FREE LOCAL AND LONG DISTANT FAXES!!!!!!!

At this point in the time I have totally eliminated all of the initial installation "bugs" with the MJ, such as: where is my phone number?, why didn't I get a confirmation email per MJ directions, "voice echos', incoming calls not being consistently received etc. These corrective actions were accomplished by: a) communicating to the on-line Magicjack customer service (knowledgeable & friendly), and, b: Joining the magicJack "Unofficial Forum" where all the members communicate ideas, fixes, stories etc. about their experiences. (Do a Google search for this forum and sign up to become a member.)

One miscellaneous comment is when using the MJ the calls can be made a lot louder than with AT&T..even using the same phone equipment. This is GREAT..if you have some hearing loss like I do. The volumn is adjustable.

OK..so in SUMMARY,,, I have cut my phone bills from $26/month with AT&T for local service (which did not include long distance) to $20/ PER YEAR, which includes unlimited local and long distance..plus inclues most of the optional services that AT&T charges you extra for!!! Yes, that is PER YEAR..NOT PER MONTH!! (Almost half of the AT&T bill was due to local and Federal taxes which do not apply to MJ usage.)

Now you may be concerned about reliability or use of equipment for 911 "emergencey" calls. MJ is reliable..but will not work if your cable provider internet service goes down (for whatever reason, or if there is a power outage. But, we have cell phones as a back-up service. MJ does offer a 911 service based on your home address you document with them at the time of registration.

So there it is in a nutshell. You decide...is investing in MJ a worthwhile proposition? I think so!! Plus you can easily take the MJ with you using a headset and your laptop. If in a hotel..you won't even need a headset. Just use the phone in your room by disconnecting it and then plugging it in temporarily into the output of your MJ.

I LOVE MY MagicJack!!! YOU WILL TOO!!!!!! Check out their website at www.magicjack.com. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Xen1969
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad things are working for you.

How many phones do you have connected now? (besides the fax)
edkoby
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have total of 2 phones and 1 fax..all 3 on separate phone plugs built in the walls.
hairr
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edkoby,
I just got my MJ about a week ago and want to get rid of the regular phone line I have now. I live in an area that I have one local choice for phone and they rape you, pay 40.00/mo for just local and another 20 for long distance.
I also have to get my DSL from this company. I would like to do what you have done to run the MJ thru exsisting jacks in the house, but I am wondering about the DSL. THey way I am hooked up there is a plate with 2 jacks one for phone one for DSL. Iam just wondering how to tell the differance outside the house to disconnect the phone line. Cannot afford to mess up my DSL, work from home allot.

Any help would be great!
msiam
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hairr
Open the outside "Customer Access" box.. The DSL should be labeled, Look on the door of the box.. Line 1 and Line 2 should be labeled. In some cases the DSL will come into the house on the same phone line as the dial tone with filters.. If that is the case, and you're not sure about how to handle the wiring, the best thing might be to get a cordless set of phones with one base and 3 to four bases.. It works great..But, if the separation is there, just look for the labels and you're good to go.. If no labels, then call your phone co and have them come out and mark them.. They are supposed to be marked.. I know, I;m retired Verizon, and I had to go mark many in my day..there is no charge on that btw. verify that with them when you call..I've learned that everything should be verified when talking to service people.. Especially Sprint and Nextel when talking about Cell Phones.. they always like to hit that new 2 year contract button when you even ask a question about anything..ALWAYS Verify and explain that you do not want any automatic upgrades ..Tell them that you want the inside wiring labled seperating the DSL. but. Most likely it is already marked..
maine-iac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this.
msiam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maine-iac That's purdy much it, not in a nutshell.. but.. I'm a retired Verizon and that was a trip to the past for me..Very informative . That instructional page brought up a lot of things Id forgotten, or wouldn't have thought important to mention.. I would say to the moderators that your find should be a Sticky, It covers most of the scenarios of what can be found in 99.9% of our homes.. Cool Good find and I tip my old dilapidated hard hat to ya, sir. Wink
hairr
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks msiam,
I had downloaded the instrucitons and was going to read thru first and well my stepdad came out and jumped right in and disconnected my main line in the box. Just unhooked it and did nothing else. Connected the magicjack into the wall and everything seemed okay got a dial tone on the phones (I do have the wireless phones with add on handsets) incoming calls come in, can make calls but the problems is when I try and hang up on the phone, the phone is hung up but on the MJ interface it is still going, have to click end on the softphone on PC. Its like the signal to hang up never quite made it to the MJ.
Then while testing some more found that sometimes the phones rang and sometimes they didn't, but it did come up on the softphone on the PC.

Not to mention when I did use it this way there was an annoying buzzing on the phones.

For the time being I have just connected the MJ directly to the phone till I figure this out.
Any ideas?

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: