magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrade killed MagicBeans?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
canyon
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Upgrade killed MagicBeans? Reply with quote

Anyone else getting "Getting Magic Jack phone number, error 0" when trying to initialize MagicBeans?
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade killed MagicBeans? Reply with quote

canyon wrote:
Anyone else getting "Getting Magic Jack phone number, error 0" when trying to initialize MagicBeans?

Since it killed MagicFeatures there is a VERY good chance it did the same to MagicBeans. I ASSUME you have gotten ahold of Vdot about the problem??

Joe Sica
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Witeout
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: vdot is already aware Reply with quote

vdot is already aware

IMPORTANT: 2010-08-19 magicJack Update
by vdot on Friday, 2010-Aug-20 11:11 am (33/231)

MagicJack had an update on Thursday, August 19th. This update has not "hit" everyone yet (including my own
magicJacks), but it will soon. Among other things, it removes the "Favorites" tab and the Normal/Aircard settings.
It also adds a login/logout capability for connection to their network. These changes will be visible changes to your
magicJack's softphone.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Until they have completed their database changes, you should not "logout" of their network, as
you reportedly will not be able to log back in if you do. This would effectively render your magicJack inoperable
until the database changes are completed (whenever that is). I would simply not use that feature for a long, long time.

Since the "Favorites" tab is removed, there will definitely be some changes needed for MagicBeans as fallout
of this update. As of today (morning of the 20th), I have not had a chance to evaluate the required mods
to MagicBeans, and don't anticipate any time available to do so today. Once I have made the necessary
analysis, all required updates will be incorporated into the updates I have been working on for
version 1v2v0a (which was going to be a beta). The only difference now is that it will be a "push" update
(ie: required, with no prompting), and will be delivered as version 1v2v0.

Until this takes place, MagicBeans will not work (at least not work fully). You can suspend using it or having it
start at system startup by removing the shortcut from the "Programs" Startup folder. Once MagicBeans is updated
(which you can determine by occasionally running manually...it will auto-check for updates shortly after startup), you can
then put the shortcut back into the Startup folder.

Since original post, I've found out that MagicBeans will not run at all if you've received the MJ update. This is due to
the fact that MagicBeans cannot detect the MJ phone number. This means that you will most definitely want to suspend
use of MagicBeans as described above, until I can get a fix completed. I still have yet to get their update, and MJ's timing
couldn't be worse in any case. I'm out of town for several weeks beginning later this week (planned in advance), but
I hope to work on it during that time anyway...if they get my MJ updated, that is. I think that, unlike other updates,
you have to wait to receive this MJ update from them, because it apparently involves converting database entries which
they have for your MJ device in their database(s).

It may be a while until I get to it, as numerous things are coming to a head at the same time:

#1 - MJ has not updated me yet, and due to the nature of the update, I must to wait for them to do so (due
to necessary database updates on their end). Until then I have no way of working on it.

#2 - I'm heading out of town at week's end (for several/unknown weeks), and will be working on a number of
financially-more-lucrative ventures, so they will take priority. That is not to say MB is not a high priority, but
these ventures are more likely to be the future, so I'll spend the time I need to on them, and any excess on MB.

#3 - I was in the middle/end stages of completing an update to MB, which, rather than backtrack on to fix MB, I'll
probably just put the fixes into the updated version...when I get to that point.

Chin(s) up, and don't uninstall your MagicBeans, as when I get the update, you'll probably just auto-install over the
top of the old install.

So hang in there, as I will get things going, and the new version will be nice! Just maintain a lot of patience, and good
things will come. As always, magicJack is a moving target, and we know this stuff happens.[/b]
kathouse
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Captured Magic Jack Update File Reply with quote

I got the update today on my second MagicJack... This time I managed to intercept the upgrade file!!!

I've tried running that file on several magicJacks now and it installed the upgrade. I also ran the file on the MagicJacks that already received the upgrade and it went through the upgrade a second time. No damage was done and all looks normal. The favorites tab is gone and of course MagicBeans no longer works :-^(

So I THINK it's safe to run this file to force the upgrade. However, you do so at your own risk.

Since I can't find any way to attach a file to a post at this forum I've uploaded the upgrade file here:

http://www.k3pgp.org/Update2.exe

Perhaps this will allow you to start working on the fix for MagicBeans !!!
kathouse
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: vdot Update (2010/08/25) Reply with quote

From vdot

Update (2010/08/25) -
I was updated yesterday...
Worse than even previously thought...it looks like they not only obfuscated the softphone, but they also, whether
purposefully or not, disabled the ability to extend the rings. I can possibly get other features working, but the big one...
extending the rings...looks like a fatality. I could achieve it with "the other" project I had thought about starting after
completing version 2, but I nixed that idea, as it would probably be considered illegal under current "hacker" laws. I still
intend to keep pressing with the remaining MagicBeans features though, and see what develops...but it will take some time.

Sorry folks, that's just reality as of today! But if everyone would make a concerted effort to call and email magicJack's HQ, and
complain about their lack of features...ask them why, instead of working on said features, they spend time foiling 3rd party
products that would add these missing capabilities. Suggest they spend time on features to let users disable voicemail, and
give users the ability to block unwanted callers, and give users more control over the display of the softphone. Well, it would
probably be a waste of time, but geez! I had thought they were too lazy to even mess with the softphone...but I was wrong.
They apparently can afford the money and effort, but only if it adds no intrinsic value to the product, and protects them from
3rd parties that would look to make a better experience for MJ customers. Go figure! But folks, please don't shoot the
messenger...instead, vent at the root problem.

Thanks for all your support!

=====

Tell MagicJack what you think of their most recent Rolling Eyes '-UPGRADE-' Rolling Eyes

http://www.magicjackupgrade.com/
kathouse
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Upgrade also available direct from Magicjack Reply with quote

You can download the Rolling Eyes '-UPGRADE-' here:

http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/upgrade.exe

Plug your MagicJack in, run upgrade.exe and you too can experience the new UNimproved crippled MagicJack....

Last edited by kathouse on Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
tsmith
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crippled is right. I have MagicBeans on one PC and magicFeatures on the other. Cripes. Evil or Very Mad
canyon
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Great... Reply with quote

The extended ring feature was the ONLY reason I bought MagicBeans.
LevelBest
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: MagicJack's third parties as partners not competitors Reply with quote

It's funny they didn't recognize that the third party support for magicjack adds value to their product and has swayed many folks to invest in MagicJack that wouldn't have for just a cheap no-frills product. You'd think they would have made more of an effort to offer these features in their upgrade or avoid planing their upgrade in a vacuum--leave both their unofficial business partners and product owners out in the cold.

Last edited by LevelBest on Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: MagicJack's third parties as partners not competitors Reply with quote

LevelBest wrote:
It's funny they don't recognize the third party support they crippled add value to their product and sways folks to migrate over to MagicJack versus the price alone. You'd think they would have made more of an effort to not plan this upgrade in a vacuum.

"LUCKY YOU" huh? They really did a number with this update....
I use MagicFeatures for the caller ID name on my phone, now even that wont work anymore unless all the numbers are added to their speed dial section. So that means me and the rest who lost their contact list after this WONDERFUL update have to not only enter our list again on the MJ side but on the MagicFeatures side as well.

Will the fun never end?

Joe Sica
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: