Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Upgraded sound OR keep enough USB power for more functions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should this toggle be added to the MJ menu?
Yes, add this toggle to the menu
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
No, they shouldn't add this toggle to the menu.
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 8

dz20854
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Upgraded sound OR keep enough USB power for more functions?

The upgrade improved sound, at the expense of reducing power coming out of the USB and affecting functionality.

See my posts in the RJ-11 thread for how I know this.

Should there be a new toggle in the MJ menu to allow the user to select either upgraded sound or have the (pre-upgrade) amount of USB power to have increased functionality?
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgraded sound OR keep enough USB power for more functio

dz20854 wrote:
The upgrade improved sound,

Regarding choices for sound quality, I wish MJ allowed the user to choose between G711 and G729. For those with relatively modern/faster hardware (and willing to set magicjack.exe's priority to high), it would reduce the bandwidth used to carry voice. Reduce "choppiness."

I think it would come at the expense of CPU resources. But, for some people it could be a good option.

Mark
trek101
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:16 am    Post subject:

Between all of the flavours of codecs in use, I have noticed that sometimes they use the G723 codec which does save bandwidth at a great sacrifice. Audio jitter is one of them and volume on both parties are somewhat on the low side at times. CPU is processing power for encoding and decoding.

G711 and G729, I haven't really noticed call quality issues. Maybe a blurp or two during the conversations which is to be expected when your voice is packaged and scattered abouts though the NET then being reassembled on the other side in under 80ms average is a feat in itself.

It would be definitely be great for the advanced user to control which codec to utilise from good, better, and best...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: