Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
upgraded with tomato, now a silly question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chiroot
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: upgraded with tomato, now a silly question

I have gone through and made sure all my screens matched.

Now should I reboot or logout or what is next?
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: upgraded with tomato, now a silly question

chiroot wrote:

You can tell Tomato to restart. It's an option in the bottom left of its UI.

There's nothing else you need to do. Just verify the connections in the graphs/details screens as shown in the wiki how-to for Tomato QoS.

Note that MY server IP addresses in some regions won't resolve to a name. You'll have to look for the connection to dest port 5070, and then look for an IP address that is similar to that one (on a port in the 10000-30000 range).

MagicJack support used to tell people to use NS01.talk4free.com. You can go to http://www.kloth.net/services/nslookup.php and change "localhost" to that DNS server name. And then resolve the IP addresses to get the hostnames.

Mark
chiroot
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: upgraded with tomato, now a silly question

az2008 wrote:
chiroot wrote:

You can tell Tomato to restart. It's an option in the bottom left of its UI.

There's nothing else you need to do. Just verify the connections in the graphs/details screens as shown in the wiki how-to for Tomato QoS.

Note that MY server IP addresses in some regions won't resolve to a name. You'll have to look for the connection to dest port 5070, and then look for an IP address that is similar to that one (on a port in the 10000-30000 range).

MagicJack support used to tell people to use NS01.talk4free.com. You can go to http://www.kloth.net/services/nslookup.php and change "localhost" to that DNS server name. And then resolve the IP addresses to get the hostnames.

Mark

What actually am I looking for in verifying connections in graphs?
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: upgraded with tomato, now a silly question

chiroot wrote:

Are you following the wiki how-to?

Mark
chiroot
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: upgraded with tomato, now a silly question

az2008 wrote:
chiroot wrote:

Are you following the wiki how-to?

Mark

Yes, just not sure what was actually happening. Saw the city mentioned as Miami, I live in Jacksonville Florida. Highest part of pie was fluctuating.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: upgraded with tomato, now a silly question

chiroot wrote:
Yes, just not sure what was actually happening. Saw the city mentioned as Miami, I live in Jacksonville Florida. Highest part of pie was fluctuating.

Just follow steps 4 & 5. However, step 5 may be broken because of what I said above about MJ breaking DNS resolution of servers in some regions. You may have to interpret the spirit of step 5 and use the web dnslookup as described above.

The whole point is just to make sure that the SIP/proxy and RTP/vms connection is being properly classified into "Highest." The easiest way to do that is click on the "Highest" slice of the pie, and study what appears in the "Details" page.

As the how-to explains, you can also make a call to the echo test number, start a speedtest.net test, and see how much difference QoS makes compared to disabling QoS and performing the same test.

Mark
chiroot
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: upgraded with tomato, now a silly question

az2008 wrote:
chiroot wrote:

Just follow steps 4 & 5. However, step 5 may be broken because of what I said above about MJ breaking DNS resolution of servers in some regions. You may have to interpret the spirit of step 5 and use the web dnslookup as described above.

The whole point is just to make sure that the SIP/proxy and RTP/vms connection is being properly classified into "Highest." The easiest way to do that is click on the "Highest" slice of the pie, and study what appears in the "Details" page.

As the how-to explains, you can also make a call to the echo test number, start a speedtest.net test, and see how much difference QoS makes compared to disabling QoS and performing the same test.

Mark

Everything appears to be working, except when I call my number from My cell phone the phone rings but I can not here anything on the line. My number is 904-672-8396

Brian
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: upgraded with tomato, now a silly question

chiroot wrote:
Everything appears to be working, except when I call my number from My cell phone the phone rings but I can not here anything on the line. My number is 904-672-

A lot of people are reporting similar problems using MJ. It sounds like there are problems with the MJ network. Just wait. Restart MJ occasionally.

Mark
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: upgraded with tomato, now a silly question

az2008 wrote:
A lot of people are reporting similar problems using MJ. It sounds like there are problems with the MJ network. Just wait. Restart MJ occasionally.

See http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/post31199.html#31199 .

For now you can do the speedtest.net comparisons (calling the echo test number with/without QoS enabled, as described in the "how-to" under "additional thoughts"). How much difference does it make?

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: