Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
USB and cracky voice issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndrewP
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: USB and cracky voice issues

OK folks, I'm not a techy person AT ALL so please bare with me.
Got the MJ and LOVE IT! The first couple of days, everything was fine. Then all voices (mine and the people I listened to) started cracking and cracking badly!

I changed USB ports and everything sounded awesome again! Until today, all the cracking came back.

I'm scared to try another usb port as I don't want to fry everything.

Can someone tell me, in non techy terms, what I can do to make my MJ clear again?

Please help!
tony
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: USB and cracky voice issues

AndrewP wrote:
I changed USB ports and everything sounded awesome again! Until today, all the cracking came back. Please help!

I think it's a coincidence that moving to another USB port improved the call quality. Call quality seems to vary and one pattern I noticed, though not consistently, is for quality to drop during the daytime. My guess is the Internet is busier. Try leaving your MJ in one USB port and try calling at different times. Let us know how it goes.

Also search the forum for tips. Things like not having other heavy traffic over your Internet connection while on a MJ call, enabling quality of service on your router (QoS), buying a Hawkings Broadband Booster, etc. Search for threads about choppy calls and call quality. Tons of stuff here.

Good luck.
AndrewP
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Tony.

I read through a lot of stuff and it involves changing this setting, updating that miga/wiga/jiga thingy and so forth. Just didn't follow everything.

The cracking goes on morning, afternoon, eve. The time of day doesn't matter. When I changed USB ports, it was crystal clear for about a day or so, no matter what time I was calling.

I can't help but feel I did something wrong somewhere.

Oh, also, is there some place I need to click to turn it off? Or do I just pull it out of the usb port?
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject:

AndrewP wrote:
Oh, also, is there some place I need to click to turn it off? Or do I just pull it out of the usb port?
Please read through the previous postings to learn the answer to this and most other questions you might have. This forum, like most others, contains a wealth of information contributed by those who have gone before you.

The short answer is, "No. You should not just pull the MJ out." You should stop the device first. Have a look through the postings here in this category, or use the Search button to read the more appropriate postings that discuss the technical reasoning behind this advice before you dive into the rest of the forum's treasure.

Welcome aboard.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject:

mberlant wrote:
AndrewP wrote:
Please read through the previous postings to learn the answer to this

See the wiki FAQ: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/MagicJack/Support_Resources/FAQ#Should_I_just_unplug_my_MagicJack_USB_device.3F

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: