magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB Disconnects & Unsolicited Holds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoelIrwin
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: USB Disconnects & Unsolicited Holds Reply with quote

Its starting to get to the point where I am becoming embarrassed calling other people. For the last two weeks or so, my MJ drops my USB connection in the middle of a phone conversation. It is also putting people on hold all by itself and I can't seem to get them back.

After it happens once or twice, I end up having to apologize and call back on my cell.

Is this happening to other people as well?

My year on MJ is coming up in April. I don't know if I will renew - or perhaps there is a competitor at the same or similar price with better quality?

Joel
davrow
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing here. Also looking for an alternative. I had low expectations for the price, but this is ridiculous.
JoelIrwin
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly - I moved the MJ from my Dell XPS 420 desktop to my Dell XPS 1330 laptop late last week. Have not had a single problem since (so far) -- no hangups, no unsolicited holds, and no USB random disconnects.

Both run the same Vista 32 and almost the exact same apps.

So that begs the question -- did MJ do it to my desktop, or does the desktop have USB problems independent of MJ, or is a MJ disaster pending with the laptop?
murphy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you disable USB root hub power down in Device Manager?
Did you install the Vista version of the MJ software?
davrow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoelIrwin, can I borrow your laptop for awhile? Just until MJ starts acting up on it, too. Or 4 more years, until my contract runs out, whichever comes first. Laughing
JoelIrwin
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not so sure that I won't see problems on the laptop as well. Though right now I feel like being in a Dell blaming mode since I have had other USB problems on my XPS 420 -- for example, when I have my Sansa MP3 player plugged in, the machine will not power off or reboot without a manual power off.

These are the only 2 USB devices I have which Vista says draws 150mA. Everything else Vista says uses under 25mA.

I wonder if the relatively high power consumptions of these two devices are causing USB problems.
Kif Kroker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine has a Dell desktop that I am convinced has a flaky USB controller in it. It will only accept 1 USB drive at a time, if 2 or more are plugged in it will only see one of them. He also had a Tascam audio interface plugged in to his USB and it would cut out audio every now and then. We formated and reloaded it clean and it still had the same problems. He ended up buying a USB/Firewire combo board and that seems to have worked for him. They are very inexpensive and might be worth a try for you. I really think some Dell desktops have flaky USB controllers.
JoelIrwin
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have an Adaptec usb/firewire card in the desktop. And as that desktop is my primary music production / studio machine, it also uses Tascam equipment and software (Gigastudio 4). And as such I need to use that infamous security'dongle' in one of my USB ports.

As far as the other problems, trying to tackle and solve 'latency' problems is a major undertaking. On this desktop, which is a 2.66Ghz Quad processor machine, its not too bad. On the laptop which is a 2.6 duo processor, its borderline and that requires I turn off the wifi card to get to borderline. Try using the free software, "DPC Latency Checker Version 1.1" to help you diagnose latency issues.

I updated with Dell this morning my Intel USB drivers and so far today, no problems with the MJ on the desktop ... we'll see.

By the way, you can listen to my music at various sites including www.myspace.com/joelirwin
donec
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: USB Disconnects & Unsolicited Holds Reply with quote

JoelIrwin wrote:
Its starting to get to the point where I am becoming embarrassed calling other people. For the last two weeks or so, my MJ drops my USB connection in the middle of a phone conversation. It is also putting people on hold all by itself and I can't seem to get them back.

After it happens once or twice, I end up having to apologize and call back on my cell.

Is this happening to other people as well?

My year on MJ is coming up in April. I don't know if I will renew - or perhaps there is a competitor at the same or similar price with better quality?

Joel
How long were the calls? I just found out that MagicJack has limit of 2 hours per call.
JoelIrwin
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i rarely call move than 10 mins - don't think I have ever gone over an hour.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: