Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
USB hub made it worse

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ksojerio
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: USB hub made it worse

Someone suggested using a powered USB hub to make my MJ make my phone ring. Not only didn't it cause the phone to ring , it made the audio awful--choppy, echoy, all around distorted.

Back to square one.
jreid08
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject:

The directions on the back of the MJ USB device say not to use it on a USB hub.
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: USB hub made it worse

ksojerio wrote:
Someone suggested using a powered USB hub to make my MJ make my phone ring. Not only didn't it cause the phone to ring , it made the audio awful--choppy, echoy, all around distorted.

Back to square one.
If your phone rings now that seems to have solved one problem at least. Have you tried going to the MJ wiki http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/MagicJack there is a great section there on choppy/garbled audio and the best fixes for it.
hsweiss
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Most of the time choppy/garbled sound can be fixed by increasing the priority of the magicJack process. As the previous responder sad, see the Wiki for more info. Also, there might be problems with your proxy so you might also investigate blocking your default proxy which would cause MJ to seek out a different proxy. This is how I got rid of bad echo.
ksojerio
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject:

jreid08 wrote:

Several people said using a powered USB hub with my MJ might make my phone ring, but it still does not ring when plugged into the MJ.

It rings when plugged into my landline.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject:

ksojerio wrote:
jreid08 wrote:

Several people said using a powered USB hub with my MJ might make my phone ring, but it still does not ring when plugged into the MJ.

It rings when plugged into my landline.

How well does the softphone work for you, using just speakers and mike or better yet, a headset, and not a actual phone? Does the softphone ring on an incoming calls, is the audio broken or good?

If the softphone has the same problems as the telephone then the problem is in your computer or somewhere in the network not the MJ dongle.

If your softphone works great and rings fine (be sure to wait 5 minutes between test calls to test the incoming ring of your MJ) then there is a problem either in the MJ itself or the computers USB port or audio functioning and/or hardware.

Are you using the small USB jumper cable which came with MJ or are you plugging it directly into the USB port? The cables have been known in some cases to cause problems.

Have you tried using a different phone? Some phones have higher ringer current requirements than others and the MJ is a little weak on providing ring current; especially if the USB port it self is not providing enough power, which is why a powered USB hub often helps. What is the size of the power supply and number of ports on the powered hub? You really want 500mA/port so a 4 port hub would require a power supply which provides 2 amps. Is there anything else plugged into the USB hub?

Most likely there is more than one problem here which is why it is confusing and we need to separate the problems so we can work them out independently. Let us know the results of your softphone only tests.
propane-guy
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject:

I have had my MJ for almost one year and have never been able to use a phone due to the horrible choppy incoming voice and static. However it works well with just the soft phone and speakers with occasionally having an echo or delay. I have tried numerous fixes and gave up on tech support as that is a joke. I do believe the problem is in my MJ but I do not wish to pay for a new one so I just live with it. I do wish I was able to plug a phone into my MJ as that would be a perfect solution. If there is any one out there that has figured out how to correct this problem please reply. I am using a Dell lap top inspiron B130 with XP and IE. I have high speed broadband cable wireless Internet. Any help would be appreciated. Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: