Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
USB PORTS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Old Redneck
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: USB PORTS

[font=Courier New:1882dc8dbe] [/font:1882dc8dbe] Does it matter if your computer has 1.1 or 2.0 USB Ports? Does MJ work the same way on either?

I've got 1.1 right now, & everything has been working good since December. I'm about to put in 2.0 ports now & was just wondering if it will

improve the transmission or the incoming voice quality.

Thanx

Old Redneck
Stewart
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject:

MJ is USB 1.1 only. It will work in a 2.0 port, but not any differently. If you are having quality problems try testing to Boston at http://www.testyourvoip.com/ . If your score is poor, the problem is likely with your ISP or caused by other traffic on your network. If the score is good, please describe the quality problems in detail.
Old Redneck
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject:

Stewart wrote:
MJ is USB 1.1 only. It will work in a 2.0 port, but not any differently. If you are having quality problems try testing to Boston at http://www.testyourvoip.com/ . If your score is poor, the problem is likely with your ISP or caused by other traffic on your network. If the score is good, please describe the quality problems in detail.

Thanx Stewart...

My main problem is that incoming voices are sometimes fuzzy or garbled. This does not happen all the time, just occasionally. Everyone says my voice sounds good though.

I've been wanting to put in the 2.0 anyway, & I had hoped it might help the occasional incoming fuzzinesswith MJ.

I'll check out the site you gave me. Thanx again.
saxman
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject:

Stewert-My sound quality has been a problem on and off all the time and I have been in contact with the MJ support team-good group! I sent them this test result yesterday and I'll post their reply next-pleasegive me your opinion on a fix-

Thank you for taking our VoIP Test. Your results are below.

Test Type Results
Bidirectional Transfer Rate 133.52 kbps
VoIP Phone Capacity 1 Concurrent Calls** (G711 Compression)
Latency 734.0 milliseconds ( Poor )
SIP Port Test Blocked
MGCP Port Test Blocked
the reply next, here is the test results-I have AMD 3000 W' 1 GIG RAM-DSL-
saxman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:26 am    Post subject:

Here is the reply I got from the MJ support team. I'm really not sure what to do with this. Is their a problem with the DSL provider which is QWEST?- Or is there anything I can do to tweak my system?
Hi Robert,

Got a response from our engineers regarding the VOIP test you ran. According to them the blocked sip is not the problem, the problem is in the bidirectional transfer rate and the Latency. According to the VOIP test you are only running at 55.95 kbps up and down, the magicJack requires about 128 kbps up and down for good audio quality. Another issue is the Latency, your test showed that you have a latency of 1034 ms, it should be no higher than 150 ms for good quality. So essentially we are looking at a bandwidth problem.

You said you were paying for high speed Internet from your provider and we suggest you bring this up with them, they really should provide you with better bandwidth.

I ran the same Voip test on my computer as well as a comparison (have cable Internet 1.5mbps up and 600kbps down) and as you can see the results I received were a lot better. That is why I suggested you speak to you Internet Service provider.

Sincerely,

Richard

magicJack Support

Last edited by saxman on Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:34 am; edited 1 time in total
saxman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject:

Stewert-Here is the test results using the tester from the link you put up-
MOS Analysis From You TO Boston

Media Quality MOS 4.3 / 5.0
(Best with G.711 is 4.4)

Degradation Sources
Codec 0.58 86.1%
Latency 0.05 6.9%
Packet Discards 0.05 6.9%
Packet Loss 0.00 0.0%

Codec G.711 (PCM at 64kbps,
20ms RTP payload,
80kbps IP BW)
Round-Trip
Latency 225 ms
Packet Discards 0.3%
Packet Loss 0.0%
Loss Periods Min: 20 ms
Avg: 20 ms
Max: 20 ms
Random Loss

Jitter Min: 0 ms
Avg: 5 ms
Max: 21 ms

Signaling Quality Post-Dial Delay 172 ms
Call Setup Time 188 ms
Media Delay 391 ms
MOS Analysis FROM Boston To You

Media Quality MOS 4.4 / 5.0
(Best with G.711 is 4.4)

Degradation Sources
Codec 0.58 93.0%
Latency 0.04 7.0%
Packet Discards 0.00 0.0%
Packet Loss 0.00 0.0%

Codec G.711 (PCM at 64kbps,
20ms RTP payload,
80kbps IP BW)
Round-Trip
Latency 225 ms
Packet Discards 0.0%
Packet Loss 0.0%
Loss Periods Min: 0 ms
Avg: 0 ms
Max: 0 ms
No Loss

Jitter Min: 4 ms
Avg: 6 ms
Max: 20 ms

Signaling Quality Post-Pickup Delay 191 ms
Call Setup Time 190 ms
Media Delay 222 ms-------------------------This test , the one you posted, is showing alot different and much better reading then the first one. Wonder why the big difference in results? Judging by the 2nd test results, do you see any visible problems that could be effecting the call audio quality?
Stewart
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject:

Inbound voice quality problems might be caused by:
1. Remote party's phone or service.
2. MJ servers/connections (or those of their carrier partners).
3. Your Internet connection.
4. Your MJ hardware, software, PC, or phone.

You can eliminate (1) by confirming that you have trouble, even when the remote party is using a corded phone connected to a landline.
Eliminate (3) by getting an excellent score at e.g. testyourvoip.com, even at the times when your MJ quality is bad.
Eliminate (4) by recording the incoming traffic on a bad call with e.g. Wireshark, and confirming that the playback has the same quality problems.

If you have eliminated 1, 3, and 4, then the trouble is probably (2). Try to collect information about the times and destinations affected, so that we can post a meaningful complaint.
saxman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject:

Well, the process of elimination is , in fact, the way I've been going with this thing. It gets tricky to do at times because the sound quality goes in and out. One call will be good and the next one will break up. Some things I've figured out seem to always effect the phone sound in a negative way. Big downloads while using the phone and using it at peak hours of the day, like between 5-10 during the week and on the weekends. The hardware is good. The phone itself is like new and the tech support just sent me a new extension cord today as the other one was sloppy. My pc is near new and has plenty of resourses. The internet connection is suspect. It's Qwest DSL supposedly 1.5 mbp and I may see about going faster if it's available here.

I need to figure out which of these VOIP testers is the most reliable. I may try a third one just to get a baseline. Once I find the right speed I'll call Qwest and see what their tests show for my line. It's a little funny that since I got MJ and called Qwest to cancel my phone service, my dsl speed has slowed down some and the audio quality of the phone is a problem. One more year of this contract with them and I'll jump to cable and move much faster. I'll run more tests for awhile and see what it says.
Old Redneck
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Here are my test results

To: Boston FROM:Boston

MOS Analysis:MOS 4.33 Codec:0.58 Discards:1.09 / MOS3.97 Codec:0.57 Discards:0.46

Media Quality
MOS:4.3/5.0 Best with G.711 is 4.4 / MOS:4.0

Degredation Sources
Codec:0.58.86.1% / 0.57.55.7%
Latency: 0.00.0.0% / 0.00.0.0&
Packet Discards: 0.09.13.9% / 0.46.44.3%
Packet Loss: 0.00.0.0% / 0.00.0.0%

Codec: G.711(PCM at 64kbps,20ms RTP Payload / Same
80 kbps IP BW)

Round Trip Latency: 191ms / 191ms

Packet Discards: 0.4% / 2.1%

Packet Loss: 0.0% / 0.0%

Loss Periods: Min: 20 ms / 20ms
Avg: 20 ms / 20 ms
Max: 20 ms / 60 ms
Random loss / Random loss

Jitter: Min: 0 ms / 4 ms
Avg: 5 ms / 9 ms
Max: 20 ms / 58ms

Signalling Quality
Post Dial Delay: 141 ms / 164 ms
Call Setup Time: 157 ms / 168 ms
Media Delay: 328 ms / 194 ms

I have NO idea what any of this means. Unlike all the techno wizards on this forum, I am a true novice at this. I really just want my MJ to perform in a pretty decent way, and if I have to put up with occasional problems, thats OK too. I've been retired for 5 years now, live on a limited budget, & this MJ has been a Godsend to me pricewise. Lifes too short to complain about everything. I am just thankful for what little I have.

God bless.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: