Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
USB to Ethernet adapters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billyba
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: USB to Ethernet adapters

I'm new here and have a couple of questions that I haven't found the answers to yet. I've had my MJ for about 1 month and I really like it. So far it works perfect. However, I was wondering if there is a way to plug the MJ directly into the cable modem. I know they sell USB to ethernet adapters, so would that work? I'm guessing that it requires the use of a hard drive and software for it to work, but would it be possible to set it up to just use an external hard drive? That way I wouldn't have to leave my computer on all the time. Any thoughts would be appreciated. One last note, would it be possible to plug it directly into the modem using the adapter and then use an online virtual computer to run the software? Thanks.
tada
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: USB to Ethernet adapters

billyba wrote:
I'm new here and have a couple of questions that I haven't found the answers to yet. I've had my MJ for about 1 month and I really like it. So far it works perfect.

Good to hear. --If you pardon the pun. Smile

billyba wrote:
However, I was wondering if there is a way to plug the MJ directly into the cable modem.

No, not without some reverse engineering, violation of your "Terms of Service," and risking getting your account shutdown completely.

billyba wrote:
I know they sell USB to ethernet adapters, so would that work?

No. The magicjack USB device is not an ethernet device, so tossing a conversion adapter on there will not change what the device is.

billyba wrote:
I'm guessing that it requires the use of a hard drive and software for it to work, but would it be possible to set it up to just use an external hard drive? That way I wouldn't have to leave my computer on all the time.

No, the normal operation of your magicJack *requires* processing power, so it needs a running computer. An "external hard drive" (USB or othewise) does not have any processing power, so that is not an answer.

billyba wrote:
One last note, would it be possible to plug it directly into the modem using the adapter and then use an online virtual computer to run the software?

No. You would have no way to address the magicjack device, so there would be no way to communicate with the device.

If the power consumption of running a full desktop or even laptop system is a concern for you, I suggest you look into the information here on "Thin Clients." If you don't have the skill to build your own, search eBay for "magicjack" and you'll see a few people selling low-power thin clients specifically configured to be used with magicjack.

-tada
billyba
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Thanks Tada

Thanks Tada. I had looked at some of the thin clients, but they seemed expensive, so I was trying for an alternative. Oh well. Thanks for the help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: