magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB1 or USB2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjwolf
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: USB1 or USB2 Reply with quote

Have anyone noticed a performance difference when using a usb 1.0 vs a usb 2.0 port? Using a Dell 8100 Pentium 4 1.5 with usb 1.0 ports. MJ is sluggish, slight delay in reception and transmission. My Gateway laptop MX3570 1.7 with usb 2.0 is perfect. Memory is the same in both pc(s). Is it mainly the usb port?
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not due to the USB but the CPU or Network
hsweiss
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using USB 1 ports on a 1.1 GHz Celeron - works fine other than bad echo on calls to the same area code as my MJ (but fixed using *67x* dialing).
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: USB1 or USB2 Reply with quote

sjwolf wrote:
Have anyone noticed a performance difference when using a usb 1.0 vs a usb 2.0 port? Using a Dell 8100 Pentium 4 1.5 with usb 1.0 ports. MJ is sluggish, slight delay in reception and transmission. My Gateway laptop MX3570 1.7 with usb 2.0 is perfect. Memory is the same in both pc(s). Is it mainly the usb port?

That probably has more to do with a USB 1.0 machine being slower in all regards. CPU, memory speed (the capability of the bus to access the memory regardless of whether the memory's speed is the same as a newer machine).

You could try this: go into task manager and right click the magicjack process. Set the priority to High.

The other thing to try is a powered USB hub. Not all USB ports are created equally. They might not supply the power. The older the computer, the more deviation to the standard. I've seen too many people report that a powered hub fixed odd problems that you wouldn't think it would. I tend to think MJ will either work or not (if it doesn't have enough power). But, I've seen people say it worked partially. And a powered hub caused it to work consistently. It's worth a try.

Mark
Ledge
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my MJ running on a old old Compaq 500Mhz AMD CPU 512Mb ram 1.0 USB without any issues other then some static from time to time but, it does that on my new PC and powered USB ports. The Compaq only runs MJ and it seems to do a pretty good job over all. I still need to get CID working on a cordless handset though.
JohnODon
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My HP T5700 Thin Client with its USB 1.1 ports is chugging along nicely...no hiccups at all!
maine-iac
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnODon wrote:
My HP T5700 Thin Client with its USB 1.1 ports is chugging along nicely...no hiccups at all!

Same here...no problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: