Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Used M.J. Purchuse

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sue35205
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Used M.J. Purchuse

Hi,

I need your experienced advice on the following:

Does it make sense to buy a used M.J., if you don't care about area code designated to it?

If buy used, will you be able to activate annual subscription and have all features of M.J., including calling, receiving, and caller ID?

Understandably, the registered number is fixed for the life of the M.J.

Thanks
Kif Kroker
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject:

I do not think MJ will allow you to change the registered name on a previously owned MJ. Unless you know the person who owns the MJ you might end up getting ripped off. MJ has limited some user's accounts for over use, and then the only way to use a MJ that has been flagged for over use is to purchase talk time from the MJ website. So if you buy a used one it may end up costing you more to use it than if you just get a new one.

At $40 for a new one there is absolutely no good reason to purchase a used one, the chance of getting ripped off is just too great.

And BTW, I think MJ allows you can change the MJ phone # once with out any additional costs. But again, it is in your best interest to just get a new one.

Kif
sue35205
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Kif Kroker wrote:
I do not think MJ will allow you to change the registered name on a previously owned MJ. Unless you know the person who owns the MJ you might end up getting ripped off. MJ has limited some user's accounts for over use, and then the only way to use a MJ that has been flagged for over use is to purchase talk time from the MJ website. So if you buy a used one it may end up costing you more to use it than if you just get a new one.

At $40 for a new one there is absolutely no good reason to purchase a used one, the chance of getting ripped off is just too great.

And BTW, I think MJ allows you can change the MJ phone # once with out any additional costs. But again, it is in your best interest to just get a new one.

Kif

Thanks, good info.

$40? Do U see an issue with the new in package with one year service for $24-$25 which are sold on eby?
Kif Kroker
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject:

sue35205 wrote:

Thanks, good info.

$40? Do U see an issue with the new in package with one year service for $24-$25 which are sold on eby?

That price seems a little low to me for a new one, maybe they are making it up on their shipping costs (like many Ebay sellers). If they are a seller with a good rating it probably is OK. The thing with buying off Ebay is that you don't always get what you expect from sellers there. I use Ebay sometimes too, but more often than not I buy from a respected retailer that will back up what they sell. To me $40 for 1st years phone service seems like a great price and I can buy the MJ for that from Best Buy, Radio Shack, Walmart, etc, and then return it if it doesn't work. (I actually got mine from the MJ website because the were no retailers in my area when I was looking to buy one that were selling them.) I think the lowest price I have seen for a new MJ was $33 a while back from QVC. If you buy one locally you will most likely have to pay sales tax. If you order one, from the MJ site or Ebay, you have to pay shipping costs, so take those into consideration if you are trying to find the lowest price.

Kif
sue35205
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Kif Kroker wrote:
sue35205 wrote:

Thanks, good info.

That price seems a little low to me for a new one, maybe they are making it up on their shipping costs (like many Ebay sellers). If they are a seller with a good rating it probably is OK. The thing with buying off Ebay is that you don't always get what you expect from sellers there. I use Ebay sometimes too, but more often than not I buy from a respected retailer that will back up what they sell. To me $40 for 1st years phone service seems like a great price and I can buy the MJ for that from Best Buy, Radio Shack, Walmart, etc, and then return it if it doesn't work. (I actually got mine from the MJ website because the were no retailers in my area when I was looking to buy one that were selling them.) I think the lowest price I have seen for a new MJ was $33 a while back from QVC. If you buy one locally you will most likely have to pay sales tax. If you order one, from the MJ site or Ebay, you have to pay shipping costs, so take those into consideration if you are trying to find the lowest price.

Kif

Thanks much Kif. U are knowledgeable, so let me to ask another:

Once U insert M.J. in USB, it shows as a flash-drive. (1) Should you copy the content of a good M.J. to a canceled M.J., aren't you virtually cloning one to another, without distinction? (2) What if you clone the content of a good M.J. to a USB-flash? Will the Flash become another M.J.?
rein013
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject: i got mine on ebay for $23.99 + $4 shipping

it wasn't in its original packaging, but it was brand new!

able to register, and everything!

not sure, how this works, actually -

like wholesale price or something, but still not quite sure - happy bidding!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: