magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using an IP phone (eg Polycom Soundpoint IP560) with MJ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
milabix
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Using an IP phone (eg Polycom Soundpoint IP560) with MJ Reply with quote

Hello every one, my name is Mike and I am a new user.

I would like to know if anyone is using their Magic Jack with an IP phone such as a Polycom or Cisco.

I am setting up a home office and my company would like to give me one of their extra Polycom SounPoint IP560 phones. These phones are designed for VOIP but use an RJ45 network cable to connect to a network rather than the standard RJ11. Has anyone found a way to connect an IP phone with RJ45 cable to Magic Jack?

Just to be clear, I understand that the Magic Jack has a regular phone jack and an RJ45 network cable will not fit. However Majic Jack is a VOIP provider so technically it is using the kind of technology that IP phones are designed for. What I don't know is if in the process of making the device compatible with regular landlines phones they have lost the ability to communicate with VOIP phones.

On Amazon I found a cable that has an RJ45 male jack on one side and a male RJ11 jack on the other (Gino Telephone RJ11 6P4C to RJ45 8P8C Connector Plug Cable), does anyone know if this cable will allow me to connect the IP phone to Magic Jack?

Thanks!

Mike

Thanks in advance
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Using an IP phone (eg Polycom Soundpoint IP560) with MJ Reply with quote

milabix wrote:
Hello every one, my name is Mike and I am a new user.

I would like to know if anyone is using their Magic Jack with an IP phone such as a Polycom or Cisco.

I am setting up a home office and my company would like to give me one of their extra Polycom SounPoint IP560 phones. These phones are designed for VOIP but use an RJ45 network cable to connect to a network rather than the standard RJ11. Has anyone found a way to connect an IP phone with RJ45 cable to Magic Jack?

Just to be clear, I understand that the Magic Jack has a regular phone jack and an RJ45 network cable will not fit. However Majic Jack is a VOIP provider so technically it is using the kind of technology that IP phones are designed for. What I don't know is if in the process of making the device compatible with regular landlines phones they have lost the ability to communicate with VOIP phones.

On Amazon I found a cable that has an RJ45 male jack on one side and a male RJ11 jack on the other (Gino Telephone RJ11 6P4C to RJ45 8P8C Connector Plug Cable), does anyone know if this cable will allow me to connect the IP phone to Magic Jack?

Thanks!

Mike

Thanks in advance

Yes, it will connect
NO, it will not work after connecting

IP phone is totally useless in relation to Magicjack
milabix
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you crackerjack.

Not to be a bother, and feel free to ignore the question... any idea of why it wouldn't work? I just can't get my mind wrapped around this.
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

magicjack is not a byod (bring your own device) internet telephony provider.

Take a look at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/voip for discussion and info on the subject
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: