magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using Magic Jack Internationally.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avacomputers
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Using Magic Jack Internationally. Reply with quote

I have a magic jack and will be traveling to the carribean. If someone calls me from their u.S. Cell phone, would they be incurred any additional charges
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Using Magic Jack Internationally. Reply with quote

avacomputers wrote:
I have a magic jack and will be traveling to the carribean. If someone calls me from their u.S. Cell phone, would they be incurred any additional charges

It doesn't matter where you take your MJ. It's always considered to be in the US. Anyone calling you pays whatever their phone company charges to call your number (regardless of where you physically are with the device).

Anyone you call costs you the same (as if you were physically in the US. I.e., calling a local number in the Carribean will be a long distance call unless it's Puerto Rico.).

The only thing to remember is that some countries (particularly smaller ones, or dictatorship/monarchy) block VoIP because they want to make money by forcing people to use the country's single phone system (often owned by someone with a lot of political influence).

Mark
Frogbone
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used my MJ with my laptop when I traveled to Europe this spring. I bought a cheap small $7 corded handset, plugged it in to my MJ and started making "LOCAL" calls to the US.
My wife who stayed in the US would call my local MJ number which again is a local call without added fees.

The tricky part was to find wireless internet access to piggy back onto when traveling but I was pretty lucky and found some most of the time.

At one point I was traveling on an ICE train in Germany where you can buy Internet access. I used my MJ on the train while going 100mph and surprisingly it worked. Voice quality wasn't the best but I was able to have a conversation Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: