magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using MJ in linux?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on Linux
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ir_efrem
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Using MJ in linux? Reply with quote

I don't spose anyone has any info on whether or not MJ is gonna write *native* software for linux?
digitalnomad
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I read somewhere that this is the plan. Linux would be a smart move on their part. Lots of folks are leaning that way.

I would be all over it already, if I did not have to use MS OS for certain programs.

I guess VM software works OK from some other posts I have seen. Just run virtual Window OS?
teledatatech
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would like to see linux support for Magicjack. I was looking
into Magicjack, but without Linux support it's a no go.
mufon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to the day I am completely Microsoft free...

I have my MJ running on Linux, but not without problems. I use the SJPhone for Linux in combo with the TJInit software. The only nagging issue is that the telephone handset does not take the softphone off-hook nor does it "hangup" back onhook. You have to work that on the softphone. DTMF dialing works fine however. I have the source code for TJInit and reasonably believe this issue can be resolved.

I have the sip credentials manually installed. I suspect that the MJ profile could be loaded and the softphone could be provisioned from the talk4free servers, but I haven't tried it yet. That would be very cool if it works, and I have a hunch it will.
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mufon wrote:

:nod: x 10000000 Same here

mufon wrote:
I have my MJ running on Linux, but not without problems. I use the SJPhone for Linux in combo with the TJInit software. The only nagging issue is that the telephone handset does not take the softphone off-hook nor does it "hangup" back onhook. You have to work that on the softphone. DTMF dialing works fine however. I have the source code for TJInit and reasonably believe this issue can be resolved.

I have the sip credentials manually installed. I suspect that the MJ profile could be loaded and the softphone could be provisioned from the talk4free servers, but I haven't tried it yet. That would be very cool if it works, and I have a hunch it will.

Let us know how it goes ... this would be very interesting to a lot of people ...
mufon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner. I used to run MJ credentials in asterisk as a native asterisk peer, but with the recent changes and the cat and mouse environment a permanent solution became necessary. I am now running the MJ in vmware on Linux, but only to run the windows based software. All udp traffic is handled by asterisk, but the MJ is used to generate all sip messages and receive provisioning. In a nutshell, MJ does sip messaging, asterisk proxies sip, and asterisk does all the rtp. It is like running native asterisk with the MJ as a plug-in authentication module. Multiple sip channels are possible with this setup using a single authentication module. And with all rtp traffic handled by asterisk under the native os, there is no choppy audio like there can be when running an MJ in vmware.

Moving forward, I think there is going to be some java in my magic future. Anyone interested?

Still a bit buggy, but this is going to be solid.
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mufon wrote:
Update: I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner. I used to run MJ credentials in asterisk as a native asterisk peer, but with the recent changes and the cat and mouse environment a permanent solution became necessary. I am now running the MJ in vmware on Linux, but only to run the windows based software. All udp traffic is handled by asterisk, but the MJ is used to generate all sip messages and receive provisioning. In a nutshell, MJ does sip messaging, asterisk proxies sip, and asterisk does all the rtp. It is like running native asterisk with the MJ as a plug-in authentication module. Multiple sip channels are possible with this setup using a single authentication module. And with all rtp traffic handled by asterisk under the native os, there is no choppy audio like there can be when running an MJ in vmware.

Moving forward, I think there is going to be some java in my magic future. Anyone interested?

Still a bit buggy, but this is going to be solid.

Oh now THIS is interesting .... :gets popcorn:

Consider me interested mufon
genwebadd
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: WINE? Reply with quote

Has anyone tried running the MagicJack.exe with the WINE program?

WINE translates windows dll files to Linux libraries, WINE recently came out of beta and can run MS Office etc..., unfortunately I'm not running Linux right now so I don't know?
ir_efrem
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in Debian 4.0 - kernel (2.6.24) - 64-bit (with 32-bit enabled in the kernel) WINE does not work with MJ

Wine works with many programs for me, just not MJ
niniendowarrior
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mufon wrote:

Hi, I'm interested in trying this method. Were you able to get it to do phone calls in Linux?
tvland
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 2 days of tinkering, I got the MJ to run on VirtualBox in Linux. I'm running Ubunto 7.10 and I have a 10 mbit connection. After playing around, it works perfectly as it did on my Windows PC. The MJ call quality doesn't seem compromised. I don't hear any dropouts or other interference. Also, there is no noticeable delay.

Here is a screen shot of the MJ Soft Phone app in action:

tosaid
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That must slow up your system, unless you got a strong machine what configuration u got?

tvland wrote:
After 2 days of tinkering, I got the MJ to run on VirtualBox in Linux. I'm running Ubunto 7.10 and I have a 10 mbit connection. After playing around, it works perfectly as it did on my Windows PC. The MJ call quality doesn't seem compromised. I don't hear any dropouts or other interference. Also, there is no noticeable delay.

kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That must slow up your system, unless you got a strong machine what configuration u got?

Nah, Ubuntu hardly uses any RAM (i hardly hit the 512 mark) Most people have 1 gb or 512 megs....Even if you give the windows VM 128 MB your fine...Its not like you are running any programs or anything from it besides the jack. Even if you have like a newer celeron or sempron you should be fine....But I only do pentium 4s an above so i wouldn't know. Laughing
Peace
Kumar

P.S Gnimsh you should try it with WINE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
gnimsh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so, I first installed the tigerjet drivers for linux from the links here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=617754 Note: I am running 32 bit linux. When I tried this in 64 bit (last week) alien did not work, presumably because the package was made for 32 bit systems and not 64 bit...but I did not try to use --force either.

btw, the alien command is: sudo alien -i <tjinit package name> (make sure you CD to the dir where the package is saved)

But, now I can use the MJ and a phone as voice in/out with skype and twinkle, so that's cool.

On to running the magicjack in linux with wine.

I tried. What I did was copy over the mjusbsp folder from windows>documents and setttings>application data>username. I used the "browse my C:\ drive" function of wine and created the docs and settings folder and the dropped it in there. Then I tried running magicJack.exe from within that folder (I also set it up in wine to say I had windows XP running). Thena popup comes in telling me that my version of windows is not supported. I tried XP and Vista, so neither worked.

Next what I did was try the magicjackLoader.exe. That was the most success I've had yet with it. It loads the little MJ picture (albeit kinda funny looking, A black square around it and also there is a smaller version of the MJ picture inside the big one. After this though I get the error message about needing to have my MJ plugged in, and then it opens up the MJ page on me. That is, so far, all the success that I've had.

I'll keep playing around with it, trying to load the files off of the mounted MJ instead of from the docs folder, but I kinda don't expect any better luck.

I do however have the telephone working with twinkle though, which is cool too.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tvland
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tosaid wrote:

The machine is a Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz with 2 GB of ram, a 128 Nvidia Video card, 200 GB Hdd space. The VM is set to 512 Mb Ram and a 5 GB static image disk.

Cpu usage is between 20 and 30% with the VM running. I don't see any difference in speed.
mhard
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I picked up on this in a Linux forum I frequent, so I decided to order one and give it a shot.

When I initially plugged this device in to my Ubuntu 7.10 it only saw it as a flash drive.

I configured it on my work Windows XP laptop and it worked great.

Quote:

I tried. What I did was copy over the mjusbsp folder from windows>documents and setttings>application data>username. I used the "browse my C:\ drive" function of wine and created the docs and settings folder and the dropped it in there. Then I tried running magicJack.exe from within that folder (I also set it up in wine to say I had windows XP running). Thena popup comes in telling me that my version of windows is not supported. I tried XP and Vista, so neither worked.

Next what I did was try the magicjackLoader.exe. That was the most success I've had yet with it. It loads the little MJ picture (albeit kinda funny looking, A black square around it and also there is a smaller version of the MJ picture inside the big one. After this though I get the error message about needing to have my MJ plugged in, and then it opens up the MJ page on me. That is, so far, all the success that I've had.

I'll keep playing around with it, trying to load the files off of the mounted MJ instead of from the docs folder, but I kinda don't expect any better luck.

I got some ideas of doing that too form reading this uninstall Magicjack post.

Ooine.com

What I discovered in Windows was that this device is also not just a USB style flash drive, but it also runs a virtual USB CDROM drive.

My question is to the user who tried this initaily in WINE, was this just running a flash drive in Linux, or was it also running a the Virtual CDROM as well?

Not only did I copy the files, but I also wrote the Talk4free key settings in the Crossover virtual WINE Windows Registry.

In Ubu when I finished the key settings in Crossover and rebooted with the Magicjack, it then saw the Virtual CDROM USB drive, as well as the USB Flash drive.

When I tried to run the autorun.exe within the virtualdrive, the graphic also came up that it needed to have the USB drive plugged in, then it took me in my Firefox browser to the Magicjack website.

Close.... so close.......
gnimsh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey that was a good idea to copy the registry keys...I did not do that. The MJ is mounted as both a CD and a flash drive, but that didn't seem to make a difference for me when I was running it with wine. The only way I've gotten it to run in linux is by sending it to my VM.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mhard
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow it still knows its not in a Windows environment, even running it within the Windows XP bottle in Crossover.

I wonder what else it could be?

The fact I got it to the virtual CDROM drive to run is at least a step, but not sure if it occured when I first got the device to load properly in Windows XP, then popped it into my Gutsy Ubuntu box.

(By the way it took me two good nights to copy those registry settings into Crossover, there's at least 85 DWORD values for the SIP key)
gnimsh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn...that's a lot of entries. I find you're just better off finding your SIP info and then using a softphone like twinkle (I wrote a walkthrough to set up twinkle) and use it that way instead.

I dunno what flavor of linux you're using, but I recently upgraded to hardy heron and have had nothing but problems with my audio/softphone. For starters, there's a bug (which has a committed fix for the final release) which stops the system from connecting to the BT headset (my only surefire way of having audio with the softphone that doesn't interfere with alsa) so now I have to run only ONE program at a time that is accessing sound in order for anything to work. It doesn't matter if I have this set in ALSA or PulseAudio, the same bullshit happens. Its especially frustrating for me because right now this is the only way I have of calling my friends/family/girlfriend back home for free. I'm out of credit on my cellphone atm and every time I try to call her I can hear her but she can't hear me, and this after I went to Linux Day at a local Uni where the "expert corner" guys helped me figure out the sound issue...I called my number through mobivox and then asked him so speak, and I heard him through my phone just fine. I call the gf, nothing.

I've come to the conclusion that pulseaudio is not as great as they say, and I have just as many problems with it as I do with ALSA itself. I think it is just absolutely ridiculous in this day and age to have an OS that cannot allow multiple programs access to the sound devices at the same time. However at the same time, this seems to be selective...skype works just fine with my current install. And also I can have a song playing in rhythmbox AND have a movie playing in VLC with absolutely no problems. Ah ha! Skype also cannot connect to the sound device under ALSA. I just found a new device labeled pulse, and then I switched it to that and it worked just fine. This option doesn't appear in the twinkle devices though. I did ALSA>other device and typed in pulse, and it said it couldn't find that either.

I'm at my wits end here. Its fine to talk to my gf on skype, I do most of the time anyway, but when she's not at a computer she calls me. Same goes for the rest of my family who's not at the computer nearly as much (and my dad, who has apparently stopped calling me altogether...) so obviously this setup is not ideal and does not work very well.

I will be reinstalling windows as soon as I get a new install disc, as my current one crashed and told me that task manager was corrupt right after I restarted the system after installing all the drivers. I'm getting a mac when the new line comes out this fall.
mhard
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gutsy Gibbon is what I've been running on my Dell desktop.....

I went ahead today to try out the new VMWare server 2.0 beta with USB support, (Very nice, reminds me a lot of the Virtual Center/ESX)

Loaded a Windows XP virtual machine, and stuck in the MagicJack, only to find there is a conflict that the virtual machine does not see my USB ports in my computer as 2.0 devices.....
gnimsh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just plugged my MJ into my hardy machine, it picked it up and mounted it fine, no need to install extra drivers or anything. Lost sound on the rest of the system though. Silly thing.
mohoelx
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: USB in VirtualBox? Reply with quote

Hey tvland - how did you get USB ports in VirtualBox? I've loaded it up and installed XP, but when I plug in my MJ, it just pops open the file browser in Linux, and XP doesn't see anything.... And in my VB Control Panel, I don't see any USB ports. Not an option on the VB config panel that I can see....

Thanks -
MoHoelX

tvland wrote:

gnimsh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it took me such a long time to do this, I just realized tonight the code I was trying to paste was screwing up the server so it wouldn't post it at all. The link will take you to a page that has the code.

BTW I saw your reply on that other post of mine...

First, make sure you're using VirtualBox and not VirtualBox OSE, as OSE has no USB support.

Well its easy in 7.10:

http://www.blog.arun-prabha.com/2007/10/26/usb-not-working-with-virtualbox-in-ubuntu-7-10-gutsy-gibbon/

Restart and your usb devices will be recognised.
I had trouble with this while using VirtualBox, but it worked great in VMWare server, but that doesn't work yet in Hardy (wrong kernel version, won't install). I just changed the file now though, will try it.

And yes, I tried running it in wine, both from the MJ and by copying the MJ folder from docs and settings in windows VM to my wine folder, still didn't work. Another guy did that and also copied over all the registry keys from his windows install to wine, and all we get is the MJ splash screen asking us to plug in our MJ device.

Just so you know, I did all this and VirtualBox still didn't show me any USB devices, I had to install VMWare Server to get it to work. If you're on Hardy you have to follow the instructions here to install it: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4357442&postcount=10
maverixz
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnimsh wrote:
OK so, I first installed the tigerjet drivers for linux from the links here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=617754 Note: I am running 32 bit linux. When I tried this in 64 bit (last week) alien did not work, presumably because the package was made for 32 bit systems and not 64 bit...but I did not try to use --force either.

btw, the alien command is: sudo alien -i <tjinit package name> (make sure you CD to the dir where the package is saved)

But, now I can use the MJ and a phone as voice in/out with skype and twinkle, so that's cool.

I do however have the telephone working with twinkle though, which is cool too.

Can you provide the steps to get it working with Twinkle? I am a novice linux user and have a spare laptop running Xandros.
gnimsh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already did that: http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/linux-softphones-t739.html?highlight=twinkle

Remember to search the forum for something you may need as its probably already been discussed.

Also note you'll need to already have your SIP info handy to set up twinkle, so I'm assuming you have that...
gnimsh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and also, the MJ is now detected in automatically in ubuntu 8.04, no need to install drivers. Yay!
mohoelx
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnimsh wrote:
Oh and also, the MJ is now detected in automatically in ubuntu 8.04, no need to install drivers. Yay!

Huh? I plug mine in and it opens a USB 'drive', does nothing with the 'virtual CD Rom' part, and MJ does NOT launch.... Can you share a few more details? Are you on a Ubu 8.04 workstation or server? Extra packages installed (that might be pertinent)?

I can get it working under XP as a VirtualBox guest, but the upload bandwidth is 55 k, so the call quality is so broken up, it's not usable, but it does work.

Thanks -
gnimsh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess what I mean is that it is detected as a soundcard, not that it works as it would in windows. In 7.10 you have to install the drivers for the MJ manually, but in 8.04 you do not. They are apparently working on a linux version, which, according to dan, is easily portable from the OS X version.
ice cold beer
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A native linux solution can't come fast enough man...! Maybe some coder with free time will go to http://www.tjnet.com/software/ip_phone/hardwaresdk.htm#linux and grab the source code at the bottom of the page. Wink
hvengel
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnimsh wrote:
I guess what I mean is that it is detected as a soundcard, not that it works as it would in windows. In 7.10 you have to install the drivers for the MJ manually, but in 8.04 you do not. They are apparently working on a linux version, which, according to dan, is easily portable from the OS X version.

OS/X and all other *nix OSes like Linux use the same network stack and also use the same USB libraries (libusb). If the MagicJack folks were careful to select widget libraries that were cross platform (like Qt, wxWidget, FLTK or GTK) then the differences between the OS/X and Linux versions will only involve making changes to perhaps 1% of the code. Not a real big deal but it will require time to find the places that need to be changed and it will require a lot of QA to make sure things work.

I support an open source project that is cross platform and it turns out that Windows is actually the odd ball platform and perhaps 90% of the conditional compilation (our project only uses this for platform specific code and then only if we can't isolate it into separate modules) is for Windows. The OS/X and Linux code bases are almost identical with perhaps 100 lines of code being different out of about 50,000 total. Most of that is because of low level code for dealing with loading and getting the video card gamma tables which is OS/windowing system specific.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on Linux All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: