Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Cannot make outgoing calls - no audio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unit213
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Cannot make outgoing calls - no audio

Hi all,

I just purchased a magicJack and the initial installation isn't going too well. I could use some help.
I've search and I've tried the majority of the solutions I've found via search.

Here is the problem:

I'm able to receive calls perfectly. The phone rings, clarity and volume is good, etc. The problem is that I'm unable
to place outgoing calls. When making an outgoing call, the MJ application interface first says"Ready to Call". I receive the
following messages Trying > Session Progress > Operational. The person's phone that I'm calling will ring, but it doesn't
ring on my end nor is there any audio one that person answers the call.

Here is some info and the things I've done so far:

1. MJ is plugged directly to the motherboard via a USB port on the back of the computer (not using the USB extension).
2. Ran magicFix multiple times.
3. Ran the update multiple times.
4. Tried several different phones and a headset to no avail.
5. Ran the Tiger Jet sound demo audio test and everything is working just fine.
6. Checked all sound mixers for the obvious (mute button, etc). Everything is fine.
7. Rebooted and reset the modem several times.
8. Spent 2 hours in live chat with MJ tech support. Lots of testing with zero results.
9. Reformatted the MJ by right clicking in 'My Computer' on the phone icon.
10. Granted full control to USB in the registry editor.
11. Called the following phone numbers. The results are below:

866-692-6447 (should announce your number) - Result: Works perfectly.
415-421-0020 (should play a loud tone) - Result: Does not work.
408-269-1999 (should play a busy signal) - Result: Does not work.

12. I have a Com21 DP1110 cable modem through Comcast (internal firewall perhaps? I know it's garbage).
13. OS is Windows XP "Media Center Edition" service pack 2
14. PC has a Pentium 2.66 GHz CPU with about 250GB of storage capacity.
15. All firewalls and anti-virus software is disabled to the best of my knowledge.
16. I have VPN, but it's not connected when attempting to use MJ.
17. I ran the www.testyourvoip.com test. The score was a 4.4 (not sure how to tell which port it went through - 5060 or 6000).
18. I am not using a router.

Any advice or suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Dan
Stewart
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject:

First, thanks for posting your question with lots of detailed information. If everyone did that, problems would be solved a lot quicker. When a loser posts "it doesn't work", I'll send him a link to your post.

I suspect one of three possibilities:

1. There is a server-side problem (affecting only a small percentage of users) that is blocking the audio path.
2. The failing calls are negotiating a different codec from those that work; the former codec is not installed properly on your PC.
3. The failing calls are being routed through a different media server; a problem with your software, modem, or Internet infrastructure is blocking that server's packets from reaching your MJ.

A quick possible workaround: Try dialing e.g. 415-421-0020 as *674*154210020 , though even if the workaround succeeds, it doesn't prove that the problem is not on your end.

It appears that toll-free calls work, but calls to geographic area codes do not. However, possibly it's just that a few calls randomly succeed, so try some additional toll-free calls to confirm. For example 8004377950 will read a 585 number, though *678*004377950 should announce your MJ number. You might also try calling a business with a toll-free number and seeing if you can converse with them.

It appears that call signaling is working properly and only the audio path is failing. To confirm, try 415-421-0020 again; the softphone should show Operational. When calling 408-269-1999, it should show Session Progress.

What area is your MJ number, and in what city are you physically? (The IP Geo gods are not cooperating today. Farmington? Dearborn? 947? 313? 248? 734?)

It would be useful to know whether only the inbound audio path is affected. I don't know of an easy automated way to test it, so please call your landline, cell phone, or a friend. When the softphone shows Operational, speak for a few seconds, and report whether you can be heard by the remote party.

A good way to determine what is really going wrong, is to capture a failing call with Wireshark and see if audio packets are coming in, if they have the right codec and are directed to the right port, and if they have valid content. If you want to do this, but need help with some details, please ask.
unit213
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Stewart wrote:
First, thanks for posting your question with lots of detailed information. If everyone did that, problems would be solved a lot quicker. When a loser posts "it doesn't work", I'll send him a link to your post.

Laughing

The way I see it is that I'm the one looking for assistance so I should do my homework up front by using the search function
to see if my issue was resolved previously. In doing so, I found many posts (mostly by you) that contained some root cause
analysis software and other forms of tests. I tried everything on my own first hoping for the best! I love the MJ technology.
I just wish I could work out the kinks on my end.

Stewart wrote:

I suspect one of three possibilities:

1. There is a server-side problem (affecting only a small percentage of users) that is blocking the audio path.

I don't there there is anything I can to to fix that other than notifying the MJ support folks, which I did. I was told that my issue
was elevated to MJ's engineers (doubt it).

Stewart wrote:

2. The failing calls are negotiating a different codec from those that work; the former codec is not installed properly on your PC.

The MJ customer support tech had me install divX player and it's associated codecs. I'm assuming the reason for that install was
to make sure certain codecs were loaded on my PC? Is there anything I can do on my end to install/uninstall certain codecs?

Stewart wrote:

3. The failing calls are being routed through a different media server; a problem with your software, modem, or Internet infrastructure is blocking that server's packets from reaching your MJ.

That's a little bit beyond me to be honest with you.

Stewart wrote:

A quick possible workaround: Try dialing e.g. 415-421-0020 as *674*154210020 , though even if the workaround succeeds, it doesn't prove that the problem is not on your end.

I gave that a shot, but it didn't work. I was still able to dial out and the MJ interface said "Operational" once connected. However, I had no
audio. I tried both the headset and the phone.

Stewart wrote:

It appears that toll-free calls work, but calls to geographic area codes do not. However, possibly it's just that a few calls randomly succeed, so try some additional toll-free calls to confirm. For example 8004377950 will read a 585 number, though *678*004377950 should announce your MJ number. You might also try calling a business with a toll-free number and seeing if you can converse with them.

I called 8004377950 and it worked perfectly...*678*004377950 did not work (no audio again).
I dialed 800-COMCAST and it worked just fine.

Stewart wrote:

To confirm, try 415-421-0020 again; the softphone should show Operational. When calling 408-269-1999, it should show Session Progress.

Correct on both accounts.

Stewart wrote:

What area is your MJ number, and in what city are you physically? (The IP Geo gods are not cooperating today. Farmington? Dearborn? 947? 313? 248? 734?)

313 area code (Dearborn).

Stewart wrote:

When the softphone shows Operational, speak for a few seconds, and report whether you can be heard by the remote party.

I've tried literally hundreds of times and the remote party definitely could not hear me even after the softphone was showing Operational.

Stewart wrote:

A good way to determine what is really going wrong, is to capture a failing call with Wireshark and see if audio packets are coming in, if they have the right codec and are directed to the right port, and if they have valid content. If you want to do this, but need help with some details, please ask.

I could definitely use some assistance with Wireshark. I'm game if it could potentially identify and resolve this problem.

Thanks very much for your help Stewart. It's greatly appreciated! Cool

Edit: I have Wireshark 0.99.7 installed (from www.download.com). I could use some guidance in using the application though.
Stewart
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Well, I did some Wireshark captures and it appears that your failing calls are going G711A and the working ones G711U. So, I'm guessing that the A-law codec isn't working right on your system. Seems strange though, because both U and A are in the same file -- on most systems, C:\windows\system32\msg711.acm . On my PC it's dated 8/4/2004 and is 9216 bytes. If you google msg711.acm , you'll find various hits on how to remove and reinstall audio codecs. If you try that, first make sure that your files are backed up. If no luck, I'll post some details on using Wireshark to debug further.
Stewart
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Also, on my system, going to Device Manager->Sound ...->Audio Codecs, msg711.acm is Enabled and Priority 3, below imaadp32.acm and msadp32.acm .
currency
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject:

Hey guys,

First thanks for doing so much of research.

With the help of you guys and the Tech support from Magic jack I have now fixed my issue. My issue was exactly the same as yours, no audio in outgoing.

These are the things I did.
1) In Reg edit, gave full control to the USB and USB STOR for everyone.
2) Turned of Anti Virus (At this stage I was able to hear but the person at the other end was getting their own echo).
3) Now I installed divx player from www.divx.com
4) Ran the magic fix from this link www.magicjacktv.com/1/magicfix.asp (The agent claimed this is different than the one available in the usual website).
5) Unplugged it and plugged it into a different port.

There it was! It is now working fine.

Thanks Once again for your time and efforts stewart! Hope it helps and starts working for u to Dan!
unit213
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject:

currency wrote:
Hey guys,

First thanks for doing so much of research.

With the help of you guys and the Tech support from Magic jack I have now fixed my issue. My issue was exactly the same as yours, no audio in outgoing.

These are the things I did.
1) In Reg edit, gave full control to the USB and USB STOR for everyone.
2) Turned of Anti Virus (At this stage I was able to hear but the person at the other end was getting their own echo).
3) Now I installed divx player from www.divx.com
4) Ran the magic fix from this link www.magicjacktv.com/1/magicfix.asp (The agent claimed this is different than the one available in the usual website).
5) Unplugged it and plugged it into a different port.

There it was! It is now working fine.

Thanks Once again for your time and efforts stewart! Hope it helps and starts working for u to Dan!

Thanks for you input. Unfortunately those same steps did not work for me. I walked through them several times
on my own and with MJ's tech support via chat session.
unit213
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Stewart wrote:
Well, I did some Wireshark captures and it appears that your failing calls are going G711A and the working ones G711U. So, I'm guessing that the A-law codec isn't working right on your system. Seems strange though, because both U and A are in the same file -- on most systems, C:\windows\system32\msg711.acm .

Interesting. I wonder what would cause the failed calls to go the "A route".

Stewart wrote:

On my PC it's dated 8/4/2004 and is 9216 bytes. If you google msg711.acm , you'll find various hits on how to remove and reinstall audio codecs. If you try that, first make sure that your files are backed up. If no luck, I'll post some details on using Wireshark to debug further.

On my PC, msg711.acm in C:\Windows\system32 is dated 8/10/2004 and it's 9KB is size.
unit213
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject:

Stewart wrote:
Also, on my system, going to Device Manager->Sound ...->Audio Codecs, msg711.acm is Enabled and Priority 3, below imaadp32.acm and msadp32.acm .

Exact same scenario here.
Stewart
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject:

Basic use of Wireshark:

The first time you run it, you have to tell it where to capture from. Edit->Preferences, selet Capture, Set the Default Interface to your Ethernet interface (if using an Ethernet connection to the Internet). Click OK.

Start capturing (Capture->Start), make a call that is expected to fail with no audio, but where you know that there should be inbound audio present. End the call, then stop the capture.

There should be a list of packets in the top section of the main window. Scroll through, you should see RTP packets both from and to your PC. The codec should show as G.711 PCMA or G.711 PCMU. I expect your 'bad' calls to be PCMA.

Click Statistics->Voip Calls. With luck, your call will appear. Select it with the mouse, click Player. In the player window, click Decode. Check the box for the desired direction (or check both boxes), press Play.

If the call plays ok, we can either try to force ulaw, or fix the alow problem.
unit213
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject:

Stewart wrote:

The first time you run it, you have to tell it where to capture from. Edit->Preferences, selet Capture, Set the Default Interface to your Ethernet interface (if using an Ethernet connection to the Internet). Click OK.

Ok...that's all set.

Stewart wrote:

Start capturing (Capture->Start), make a call that is expected to fail with no audio, but where you know that there should be inbound audio present. End the call, then stop the capture.

Done.

Stewart wrote:

There should be a list of packets in the top section of the main window. Scroll through, you should see RTP packets both from and to your PC. The codec should show as G.711 PCMA or G.711 PCMU. I expect your 'bad' calls to be PCMA.

There is certainly alot of information in the "main" window of Wireshark after capturing a call. I'm not sure what it's telling me to be
honest with you.

Stewart wrote:

Click Statistics->Voip Calls. With luck, your call will appear. Select it with the mouse, click Player. In the player window, click Decode. Check the box for the desired direction (or check both boxes), press Play.

After following your instructions above, the call does appear. However, after pressing 'Decode' it doesn't do anything.
I'm able to Graph it...not sure if that will help.

Stewart wrote:

If the call plays ok, we can either try to force ulaw, or fix the alow problem.

Are you able to make further assumptions based on the lack of results from Wireshark
or is there another step I can take in resolving this?
Stewart
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject:

If you could post a screenshot of the graph, that would be great. Also, on a call that does have audio, does the Decode and Play work correctly?

The graph may have personal info that you don't want to post, e.g. your MJ phone number. Mask any such info, send the screenshot by PM, or save the graph as a text file and edit it before including it in your post. If you are behind a router, I would not expect your personal IP address to be in the graph. Please preserve the MJ server IPs.
unit213
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Stewart wrote:
If you could post a screenshot of the graph, that would be great.

IP's and phone numbers have been omitted as for precautionary purposes...

Stewart wrote:
Also, on a call that does have audio, does the Decode and Play work correctly?

For a call that does connect (toll free number - in this case 800-comcast), I was able to Decode and Play
and it appears to have captured things correctly...both my voice and the person who received the call.
Stewart
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject:

Wow, no RTP at all! While I can think of several reasons why the server might not send any, It's hard to imagine why the softphone won't, especially considering that it does send it on toll-free calls!

Try setting the Filter field in Wireshark to 'rtp' (without the quotes), click Apply, and report whether there are any packets shown, from your PC, or to your PC.

If none, set the Filter field to 'sip', click Apply, click on the 183 Session Progress packet. File->Print, select Plain text, Output to file (browse for a suitable folder and choose a filename.txt), Selected packet only, Packet details All expanded. Press Print. Open file, sanitize as desired, post.
unit213
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject:

Stewart wrote:
Try setting the Filter field in Wireshark to 'rtp' (without the quotes), click Apply, and report whether there are any packets shown, from your PC, or to your PC.

There are no RTP packets at all when I filter for them.

Stewart wrote:

If none, set the Filter field to 'sip', click Apply, click on the 183 Session Progress packet. File->Print, select Plain text, Output to file (browse for a suitable folder and choose a filename.txt), Selected packet only, Packet details All expanded. Press Print. Open file, sanitize as desired, post.

Will post the results momentarily.
unit213
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Last edited by unit213 on Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
unit213
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject:

unit213 wrote:
Will post the results momentarily.

Results of setting the Field filter to 'sip' for the 183 session progress packet are below.
I've zero'd out IP's and phone numbers. Sorry for the jpeg format.

URL http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/390483/ws_pic1.JPG.html IMG http://s2d1.turboimagehost.com/t/390483_ws_pic1.JPG /IMG /URL URL http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/390484/ws_pic2.JPG.html IMG http://s2d1.turboimagehost.com/t/390484_ws_pic2.JPG /IMG /URL
Stewart
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject:

The two images look the same -- neither has the interesting stuff (the message header and message body). Please preserve at least the first octet of each IP address.
unit213
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject:

Stewart wrote:
The two images look the same -- neither has the interesting stuff (the message header and message body). Please preserve at least the first octet of each IP address.

Do you have an email address that you're willing to share via PM or email. I'm at [email protected].
I can send you the raw text file.

Again Stewart, thanks alot for your help...but moreso your patience!
mikepdx
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject:

I've been following this thread with much interest.
After using the Magic Jack since mid April, and all that time it's been working virtually flawlessly,
I seem to have developed precisely the same problem:

"I'm able to receive calls perfectly. The phone rings, clarity and volume is good, etc. The problem is that I'm unable
to place outgoing calls. When making an outgoing call, the MJ application interface first says"Ready to Call". I receive the
following messages Trying > Session Progress > Operational. The person's phone that I'm calling will ring, but it doesn't
ring on my end nor is there any audio one that person answers the call".

Should you folks make any progress on this issue, it would be
greatly appreciated if you could post your findings here, rather than just going private.
If not only for me, but for others who may have the same issue in the future.

many, many thanks!

Last edited by mikepdx on Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
mikepdx
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject:

I was going to wait for a final answer before taking action, but then
I thought I'd take a shot at using the method posted earlier by member 'currency'

My Magic Jack IS working again.

I merely uninstalled the older DivX decoder on my PC.
Then downloaded and installed the newest DivX package,
and amazingly my Magic Jack is working perfectly.
Presumably that was MY problem.

That's ALL I did.
It worked for me.

Much luck to all.
currency
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: SIP protocol problem

Hey mikepdx,

Glad to know info from me helped you..

I have an update...

I tried the magic jack outside US on my business trip. Know what it just worked like a charm. It had no problems whatsoever I had reported earlier...

This I tried on a PC where all the softwares which MJ tech support wanted me to uninstall like Nero, was all present. Also, the DivX codec is one of the oldest.

I did some investigation to find out what could be the reasons. Here is my analysis:
1) As we all know magic Jack uses the SIP (Session Initiation protocol).
2) SIP does not work well on all networks.
3) A number of internet provides in US for the lack of IPv4 ip address follow NAT(Network Address Translation). The drawbacks for the same posted below. I have extracted the same from "wiki".
4) This is one main reason, that MJ is facing some issues that too on a inconsistent basis.

I currently dont have a solution for this. I would appreciate people taking this further with more information/solution.

"Hosts behind NAT-enabled routers do not have true end-to-end connectivity and cannot participate in some Internet protocols. Services that require the initiation of TCP connections from the outside network, or stateless protocols such as those using UDP, can be disrupted. Unless the NAT router makes a specific effort to support such protocols, incoming packets cannot reach their destination. Some protocols can accommodate one instance of NAT between participating hosts ("passive mode" FTP, for example), sometimes with the assistance of an Application Layer Gateway (see below), but fail when both systems are separated from the Internet by NAT. Use of NAT also complicates tunneling protocols such as IPsec because NAT modifies values in the headers which interfere with the integrity checks done by IPsec and other tunneling protocols.

End-to-end connectivity has been a core principle of the Internet, supported for example by the Internet Architecture Board. Current Internet architectural documents observe that NAT is a violation of the End-to-End Principle, but that NAT does have a valid role in careful design.[1] There is considerably more concern with the use of IPv6 NAT, and many IPv6 architects believe IPv6 was intended to remove the need for NAT.[2]

Some Internet service providers (ISPs) only provide their customers with "local" IP addresses.[citation needed]Thus, these customers must access services external to the ISP's network through NAT. As a result, it may be argued[citation needed] that such companies do not properly provide "Internet" service."
unit213
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject:

mikepdx wrote:
I was going to wait for a final answer before taking action, but then
I thought I'd take a shot at using the method posted earlier by member 'currency'

My Magic Jack IS working again.

I merely uninstalled the older DivX decoder on my PC.
Then downloaded and installed the newest DivX package,
and amazingly my Magic Jack is working perfectly.
Presumably that was MY problem.

That's ALL I did.
It worked for me.

Much luck to all.

Thank you very much for the reply. I'm glad that reinstalling the DIVx codec worked for you.
I tried that solution and unfortunately it didn't resolve the issue.

I do love the technology and I'm hoping that I'll be able to find a fix for the problem.
unit213
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject:

Update:

I worked with several magicJack tech support people via the 'tech chat' last night.
As usual, they are extremely friendly for the most part. Unfortunately, they aren't
tremendously helpful. One "supervisor" actually disconnected me from the chat session
because he apparently was unable to assist with this problem. I persisted and found
another "supervisor" who worked with the engineers to identify the problem. She informed
me that the problem is indeed on their end and that they will contact me within 24hours.
We'll see. I wasn't born yesterday so I know a brush off when I see one.

If I am contacted and the resolution to the problem is shared with me, I'll be certain to
post it here for anyone else who may be experiencing the same issue.
Stewart
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject:

Unit213, sorry, I thought that you had given up on this issue, because I did not hear from you after sending you an email. Perhaps it was filterered as spam.

I just sent you a PM with an email address where you can send a capture file. If you previously did send such a file, please try again sending a .zip file, which may help bypass filtering on your end or at gmail. Please confirm by PM after sending it, so I'll know something is wrong if it hasn't arrived.
unit213
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Hi all,

I thought I would post up to put some closure to this issue with the hopes that it helps
someone else at some point.

My MagicJack works like a champ now. Here's what I did:

* Bumped up my high speed internet service from 4megabits down / 384 kilobits up (boo!)
    to 16megabits down / 3 megabits up.
    * Replaced the dinosaur modem I had with the most current model available through Comcast.

I made the MJ customer service folks aware of the modem I had along with the slower
internet speeds I was getting and I was told it should be fine. Overall, the product is awesome
and the customer service is essentially non-existent.

Good news though...I kept looking for a solution and I finally found it!

Thanks all (especially Stewart) for all the time & effort.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: