Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Mac User question on Mac Beta Upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Using magicJack on a Mac
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beansgood
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Mac User question on Mac Beta Upgrade

Hello!

My husband told me about this magicJack device, so I'm doing my research and it seems it would work in Canada plus there's a Canadian site. This is all good, but when I went to the site to look around and, hopefully, order one, I clicked on the Mac Beta upgrade looking for tech specs.

To upgrade your magicJack to work on MAC, you must do so with your magicJack plugged into a USB port on a WINDOWS computer.

Only compatible with Intel-based Macs with OS Versions:
10.4.10 (must have Kernel 8.10.3 or higher)
10.4.11 and higher
11.0 and higher

From what I read (above), am I to understand that only the Intel-based Macs running 10.4 and higher will work with this device??

Upgrading my OS to Tiger or Leopard wouldn't be a problem but I have an iMac G5 and buying a new computer is certainly NOT in my plans. I would think there are a lot of Mac users who don't have the Intel-based Macs, so it would be a shame if this is limited to only Intel-based Mac owners. Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks for any help!
beansgood
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject:

I have a feeling I might be answering my own questions here, as I dig around the forum and do Goole searches. I read this....

Mac Beta has been released. Currently we are not offering customer support for this upgrade. You must have your magicJack plugged into a Windows PC to download the MAC upgrade. Then you can plug your magicJack into your Mac. For requirements and/or to download, Click here.

So.... now I'm wondering if it's just the the download of the upgrade to the magicJack device and then it's able to run on a Mac. If I had an Intel-based Mac, then I could download the upgrade to the device. If I get the answer to this on my own, then I'll post it. If someone else can shed any light on this, I'll be very grateful. All of my friends and family are long distance so I'd love to be able to use this device.
beansgood
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Well, it would seem most folks that visit this site are PC users as I got zero response, but my persistent efforts to find out what I needed to know paid off.

After digging around on magicJack's site, I found a live chat link where I could directly get the answer I was looking for.

They (she) told me they are currently working on it now - can only be used on Intel-based Macs, indeed, but "apple based" compatibility should be available in a month or so.

Hopefully, other Power PC Mac owners (I would venture to guess there are many of us) may find this information useful. In hindsight, I can see that magicJack's site states in the Mac Beta download window that it must downloaded from a PC and THEN it states you must have an OS of 10.4 and higher plus Intel-based Mac. For me, the only dumb question would be the one not asked and at the risk of asking a dumb question, I got my answer (albeit, on my own Wink )
curiousgeorge
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject:

I noticed all your post's were made on the same day only hours apart, please be more patient next time it may take a day or two to get back to you as this forum is not owned by MJ and we do not get paid or spend all our time on this site.
beansgood
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject:

Well, it certainly wasn't meant to be personal but as I discovered answers by digging around, I thought I'd post them. If anyone can offer any further insight on updates, I will certainly be watching out for them. As much as patience is a virtue, I'm still working on having it function in auto pilot in my life but, in the type of work I do (prepress technician) all deadlines were, like, yesterday and I tend to function that way when I'm doing certain tasks. My apologies.
curiousgeorge
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject:

no worries , I just wanted to let you know that people are not ignoring you on purpose,we are all looking for answers especialy since MJ took down the official forum and offers poor technical support. Hopefully MJ will support more OS and hardware in the future. Till then we are pretty much on our own. Wink
Marcsidnasse
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject:

I have a few Macs at the office all G4 or G5 (non Intel) and it just won't work on them.
So I bought a cheap PC for $50.00 that I shoved in a closed and it works fine on that.
It's a Pentium 3, 256 Meg Ram 1ghz CPU

Good luck!
Marc
beansgood
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject:

I, too, have toyed with the idea of a getting a used PC for this sole purpose, but I'd rather wait and see if the gal I had an online chat with is really informed about upgrades being worked on in regards to serving the Mac community who are not Intel-based (or if she's just fluffing in my face). As with all things relatively new, bugs need to be worked out. At this level, I'm quite willing to be a pawn so long as it doesn't interfere with my income and my computer is all about my income.
TontoYoder
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Have there been any updates on the issue since Feb 2008??

I too have an iMac G5; it's already upgraded to Leopard, but still a PowerPC.
I have an XP laptop that I was planning on using for the magicJack, but it certainly would be easier if there was a way to use the Mac.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Using magicJack on a Mac All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: