Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Use your old MJ dongle with Google Voice in Windoze OR LINUX

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Using magicJack on Linux
View previous topic :: View next topic  
haywire1
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Use your old MJ dongle with Google Voice in Windoze OR LINUX

Maybe y'all have already figured this out, but I found I can plug in my old USB MJ dongle into any of my Linux Boxes (or windoze, if you must...he he... ) and go to my gmail acct. - and make calls from the softphone dial window (yeah, you have to dial on the PC, not the phone). It breaks the dial tone, makes the call, and sounds every bit as good as going through my MJ acct. -I'm pretty sure it'll work fine even if your MJ acct. is no longer in effect, as all you are really using is the telephone interface. I prefer this over using the mic and speakers of a PC... It is the primary advantage of the MJ device itself for me...

In order to do this, you just go to your chat settings in Google voice and choose "Internet Phone device" as your calling interface instead of "Default Audio Interface". For now, at least, you don't even need a Google Voice number, it just shows up on your recipient's caller ID as some number registered to Google.

I stumbled upon this while trying to obtain the IP Phone software from Tigerjet's website, which has been now completely taken over by MJ... I then played around a bit, thinking I was making it harder than it was.... It turns out I was correct on that front... It works great with no additional software. I have tried it in Win' Vista, Ubuntu 11.04, and Xubuntu 11.04.

BTW - Since MJ is currently having a "problem" that prevents all MJ users from calling any land-lines serviced by CenturyLink (a lot of 717 area-code numbers), I have used this as a "workaround" for that, too!
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Use your old MJ dongle with Google Voice in Windoze OR L

haywire1 wrote:
In order to do this, you just go to your chat settings in Google voice and choose "Internet Phone device" as your calling interface instead of "Default Audio Interface".

In a continuing effort to really screw up my Google stuff, I wanted to play around with this. But I'll be damned if I could find the above setting.

I set up a new gmail account and found "voice and video chat" settings within the chat settings on the gmail page. I was able to choose "USB Internet Phone by TigerJet" as my microphone and speaker options.

With no GV number, I had no chat settings available in Google voice as mentioned above.

Regardless, I'm doing something wrong. When dialing from the gmail softphone I never got the break in the dial tone and dialing occuring. the timer on the pad just kept increasing, even when I dialed my MJ number, which should have given me a busy signal.

So I've got something screwed up, any pointing in the correct direction would be appreciated.
haywire1
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Add'l info...

O.k. - so I left out a few details...

1.) Whether you're using Linux or Windows, you'll need to get the "Google Talk Plugin" from Google (Click the link from the "Call Phone" softphone pad...whether or not you choose to use the MJ hardware interface).

2.) If you're using Windows, and you want the fake dial tone to be generated by the MJ USB device, you'll have to use msconfig and uncheck "cdloader2" from the "Startup" tab so the original MJ loader doesn't start at boot. This is really not necessary, since GV can still be used without the "fake dial tone". This is of course, no problem at all in Linux, since MJ's own software is only windows compatible, and is ignored - it generates a dial tone just fine!

3.) You'll have to exit the MJ software first (or never start it, by disabling the startup option detailed above...), and make sure of course that the MJ is plugged in before trying to set up the preferred interface in google chat options, or you won't see the "Handset (USB Internet Phone..." device in your list of available interfaces.

No GV number needed (at least not at the time of this post - I just did a demo for a relative in for the holidays!) - enjoy - hope this was a help to someone!

BTW - satisfy yourself whether or not this is any problem with MJ's user agreement (Though I can't imagine it would be...you bought and own the usb interface device, right? And when using it with Google voice, MJ has nothing to do with the call, since it doesn't go through their VOIP network at all...) Seems logical to me, but like I said, satisfy yourself 1st... << Disclaimer >>
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Add'l info...

haywire1 wrote:
O.k. - so I left out a few details...

1.) Whether you're using Linux or Windows, you'll need to get the "Google Talk Plugin" from Google (Click the link from the "Call Phone" softphone pad...whether or not you choose to use the MJ hardware interface).

2.) If you're using Windows, and you want the fake dial tone to be generated by the MJ USB device, you'll have to use msconfig and uncheck "cdloader2" from the "Startup" tab so the original MJ loader doesn't start at boot. This is really not necessary, since GV can still be used without the "fake dial tone". This is of course, no problem at all in Linux, since MJ's own software is only windows compatible, and is ignored - it generates a dial tone just fine!

3.) You'll have to exit the MJ software first (or never start it, by disabling the startup option detailed above...), and make sure of course that the MJ is plugged in before trying to set up the preferred interface in google chat options, or you won't see the "Handset (USB Internet Phone..." device in your list of available interfaces.

No GV number needed (at least not at the time of this post - I just did a demo for a relative in for the holidays!) - enjoy - hope this was a help to someone!

BTW - satisfy yourself whether or not this is any problem with MJ's user agreement (Though I can't imagine it would be...you bought and own the usb interface device, right? And when using it with Google voice, MJ has nothing to do with the call, since it doesn't go through their VOIP network at all...) Seems logical to me, but like I said, satisfy yourself 1st... << Disclaimer >>

Hell. Now you tell me about MJ TOS, they just cancelled my account. Just kidding. Screw MJ and their TOS. Besides they are tickled pink when you don't use them to call out.

I just had to kill the MJ process in my task manager and it worked like a charm. Thanks for the response.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Add'l info...

haywire1 wrote:

Under the "Ownership" section, the TOS says that you own the device and only have a license to use the software. So since their software is taken out of the equation, it should not be an issue.

Not surprisingly, later under the "License" section, they contradict themselves and mention they are giving you a license to use the device and the software.
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Excellent! Thanks for the info - Merry Christmas!
miguelholandes
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: lubuntu magic jack google voice use MJ account

I like this post, it seems that there is no problem using MJ with Linux (also probably not with Lubuntu), but I understand that this way you are only using the MJ dongle, but not their network, right? A friend of mine wants to switch from WIndows XP to Lubuntu and he is paying for the MJ service now, and he wants to continue to do so, is that also possible with Google Voice? Or are there no advantages whatsoever of MJ above Google Voice? He has a landline phone number in NY connected to his MJ and he lives in the Dominican Republic. In the DR people can call to him, and he can answer with his DR cellphone, when is not at home. Is this also possible with the MJ dongle in combination with Google Voice on Lubuntu???

thanks in advance

Michael
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AdmiralDecker
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:04 am    Post subject: GV/Linux

miguelholandes: I have not used it with GV/Linux in a while, and I don't have a current GV account to test it with any more. There are several others here who may have more recent experience with GV/Linux and I am sure they will chime in when they read your question...

------------------
I enjoyed messing with the dongle hardware and Linux; specifically using RedHat Enterprise 5.6 and a custom Xen kernel with realtime hardware abstraction layer support.
The only peeve I had with the setup is that the darn usb audio hardware from tigerjet messed with my modules when it loaded on boot. For this reason (and to avoid other problems), I had to use an alternate module loader config during Linux boot.
If I failed to follow these guidelines, my secondary nVidia (HDMI) output would go wacky, my internal soundblaster drivers would never load, and the only way you could hear the desktop (or system) sounds was to pick up the handset on the telephone. Wink
I have a pretty hefty hardware configuration and it was quite funny what I had to go through to solve that audio problem.

If I didn't laugh about it, I'd have been crying...
--AD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Using magicJack on Linux All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: