magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VOIPMYWAY on OBi110

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Alternatives to magicJack
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lymon
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: VOIPMYWAY on OBi110 Reply with quote

One would think that the OBi forum might be a better place to ask, but their last VOIPMYWAY post is from May.

Anyway, I signed up for a VOIPMYWAY account and attempted to set up the credentials etc. on my OBi110 following the manual setup directions from the PDF on the VOIPMYWAY site. Everything seems to go fine until it comes time to reboot the OBi110 to save the change, at which point all of the changes vanish and return to default values. I am signed on as administrator and don't understand way it's acting this way. Of course there are no error messages.

Anyone experience anything similar or have any insight to offer?
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try VOIPMYWAY customer service? They seem to be pretty accessible and may have encountered your issue with another Obi user.
lymon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
Did you try VOIPMYWAY customer service? They seem to be pretty accessible and may have encountered your issue with another Obi user.

Yes, I did and they were very helpful with several suggestions, but I don't think they stay up all night to accommodate my odd hours. Smile I just thought there might be another night owl out there who may have run into the same thing. New toy, wanna play with it now.

I'm sure that support will help me iron it out in the morning--um, maybe afternoon...
N7AS
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the OBi you have to disable auto provisioning.

From the phone connected to the phone port of the OBi dial ***1

The IVR will read the IP address of the OBi. Write this down.

Enter the IP into your browser and the configuration page will load.

Go to System Management > Auto Provisioning > Method. Uncheck the box under Default and select Disabled in the drop-down. Hit the Submit button at the bottom and the reboot button on the top right of the screen.

Now you can enter the credentials and they will not revert back to the default values.
lymon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N7AS wrote:

Go to System Management > Auto Provisioning > Method. Uncheck the box under Default and select Disabled in the drop-down. Hit the Submit button at the bottom and the reboot button on the top right of the screen.

Now you can enter the credentials and they will not revert back to the default values.

Big thanks. that's all it took! Seven minutes later and it's up and running. So far so good.

Hmm, one odd thing, it does not show up as configured on the dash board of the OBi site. Maybe has not updated yet.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: VOIPMYWAY on OBi110 Reply with quote

lymon wrote:
One would think that the OBi forum might be a better place to ask, but their last VOIPMYWAY post is from May.

Anyway, I signed up for a VOIPMYWAY account and attempted to set up the credentials etc. on my OBi110 following the manual setup directions from the PDF on the VOIPMYWAY site. Everything seems to go fine until it comes time to reboot the OBi110 to save the change, at which point all of the changes vanish and return to default values. I am signed on as administrator and don't understand way it's acting this way. Of course there are no error messages.

Anyone experience anything similar or have any insight to offer?

The easy way is to follow the OBi Wizard instructions on the VoipMyWay site rather than the manual instructions.

The OBi can be setup up two ways either directly by itself or (manual) or using the Obihai Wizard website. VoipMyWay provides instructions for setting the OBi up either way. I would recommend using the Wizard and leaving the auto provisioning enabled.

Here is a nice video on getting started using the OBi including how to get started setup Google Voice and another sip provider such as VoipMyWay, The OBi softphone proxy and the softphone of your choice using the OBi website Wizard. While it provides more information than you need to just setup a sip provider like VoipMyWay it goes thru the entire process of setting up everything in about 6 minutes.
http://youtu.be/eWAPZJFpXMo

After you complete the Wizard you can access the setup Here is a picture of my OBi/VoipMyWay on the OBi website:

If you do the setup using the wizard then when if/when you want to perform updates to the OBi software your sip account settings will be restored for you.

Virtually all of even the fancy features of the OBI can be managed using the "expert Mode" of the OBi website and IMHO is better than doing them manually in the OBi itself since they are retained and you can still perform updates easily.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lymon wrote:
N7AS wrote:

Big thanks. that's all it took! Seven minutes later and it's up and running. So far so good.

Hmm, one odd thing, it does not show up as configured on the dash board of the OBi site. Maybe has not updated yet.

Ok you have already gotten your OBi going and setup up an account on the OBi website. Now you just need to enter credentials there as I showed above and turn auto provisioning back on.

As you have seen the OBi doesn't even need the OBi website to function but it does make for a more enjoyable experience.
lymon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: VOIPMYWAY on OBi110 Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:

...If you do the setup using the wizard then when if/when you want to perform updates to the OBi software your sip account settings will be restored for you.

Virtually all of even the fancy features of the OBI can be managed using the "expert Mode" of the OBi website and IMHO is better than doing them manually in the OBi itself since they are retained and you can still perform updates easily.

Hi VaHam! Initially I tried using the wizard to set up Vopmyway until I was blue in the face. After entering the configs they would vanish, so I switched to manual, with basically the same negative results, all the configs vanished (until I reset the auto config).

I don't know if it's related, but I could not download the latest OBi update from the dashboard or from my phone. I had to download the update file and update it manually. Previous updates worked fine from the dashboard--dunno.

I would much rather use the wizard to set this up, even though it seems to be working fine right now. If you can think of something I may have forgotten while using the wizard to make it "take" let me know and I will redo it.
lymon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VaHam, one clarification. I did finally get the wizard to display voipmyway on the dash, but instead of "connected" there was a register failed message and phone would not work.

Would there be any harm in trying to re-enter the configs with the wizard? Should I reset the manual configs to default before I do so?
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lymon wrote:
VaHam, one clarification. I did finally get the wizard to display voipmyway on the dash, but instead of "connected" there was a register failed message and phone would not work.

Would there be any harm in trying to re-enter the configs with the wizard? Should I reset the manual configs to default before I do so?

No harm, you can just set the provisioning back to auto and then enter your credentials on the website as I showed above. Once they are correct you will see registered as the status like below:

lymon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, that could easily have been the "register" message I saw. But, I'm certain the phone wasn't working either (I think). And no, I wasn't chugging PBRsor hitting the ganj... Smile
genxweb

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad that it is working for you. If you have issues feel free to email support we rarely jump on any forums these days due to the work load of running the company.

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Alternatives to magicJack All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: