magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's up with this MagicJack Plus 2014

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lymon
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: What's up with this MagicJack Plus 2014 Reply with quote

Just got an email from Dan offering to off load his latest offering for 29.99 for the next 48 hours.

I don't see any radical improvement. Did I miss something? Should I buy one because I'm a sucker for stupid crap, and believe that one can't have enough phone numbers?

Thanks.
rdlsmith
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with this MagicJack Plus 2014 Reply with quote

lymon wrote:
Just got an email from Dan offering to off load his latest offering for 29.99 for the next 48 hours.

I don't see any radical improvement. Did I miss something? Should I buy one because I'm a sucker for stupid crap, and believe that one can't have enough phone numbers?

Thanks.

I was told via chat that it addresses the dropped calls issue and that voice quality was improved among other things. I bought online and was charged over $50 for it. In addition, there's no six months added unless you have less than six months on your account already. I think they just wanted to get more money out of us but I'm hoping the call quality is improved and that it is more stable. Dealing with them feels like dealing with used car salesmen.

I chatted with them again and got them to cancel the order. (Or at least they said they canceled the order, time will tell.)
SteveHC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with this MagicJack Plus 2014 Reply with quote

rdlsmith wrote:
I was told via chat that it addresses the dropped calls issue and that voice quality was improved among other things.

- Their having mentioned the dropped calls issue is interesting, this is the first I've heard that this version of the MJ+ addresses any such issue. If it does actually do that and in a way that I think it might, then it'd be possible that it might ALSO help decrease the likelihood of experiencing audio drop-outs too... THAT would be useful to me (but not much as I seldom experience them - I USED to a LOT, but over the past year or so almost never).
rdlsmith
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with this MagicJack Plus 2014 Reply with quote

SteveHC wrote:
rdlsmith wrote:
I was told via chat that it addresses the dropped calls issue and that voice quality was improved among other things.

- Their having mentioned the dropped calls issue is interesting, this is the first I've heard that this version of the MJ+ addresses any such issue. If it does actually do that and in a way that I think it might, then it'd be possible that it might ALSO help decrease the likelihood of experiencing audio drop-outs too... THAT would be useful to me (but not much as I seldom experience them - I USED to a LOT, but over the past year or so almost never).

They also stressed improved voice quality. I took a screen print of the conversation as it was like pulling teeth to get them to commit to saying that they had addressed the drop call issues. I may order one as it's not that expensive and I'm all in with now two MJ+ devices in use.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd REALLY like to hear/read what someone who actually tested it out or bought it and compared it to the "original" MJ+ has to say about it.
rdlsmith
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveHC wrote:
I'd REALLY like to hear/read what someone who actually tested it out or bought it and compared it to the "original" MJ+ has to say about it.

Yes, I agree.
truthfreedompeace777
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the 2014 new magicjack plus for a week now.It has noticeably less noise/static compared to the old plus.The big question is when/if/what add-on products will be released to utilize the 2 USB ports and SDIO slot on the new device..I am hoping the CEO was telling the truth when he stated in April that magicjack would be reselling discounted 4G internet service in the 2nd half of the year.As usual,all we can do is speculate.Another big question is when magicjack will release the new app with text messaging that they are promoting on the packaging of the new plus..(Here is copy and pasted post of my first thoughts on my new plus from another thread)...........
.......The two new selling points on the front of the packaging are..
.."Free bonus only with the new magicjack plus:Free text messaging and calls with the free magicjack app"..
..."Connect WiFi and Portable Phone(DECT) to USB/SDIO Slots on magicjack"..
To start making calls,I simply connected the new magicjack plus to my router and phone and plugged it in an electrical outlet.With this method, it used a random number in my area code,which is what the current beta version of the magicjack app does if you don't opt for your own new magicjack number or use your existing magicjack number.To use your existing magicjack number or get your own new magicjack number the packaging directs you to mjreg site to register it by plugging it into a usb port on your computer and it takes you through the registration process.
.. The section of the device labeled "WiFi" is where the SDIO slot is located.The 2 USB ports are on the opposite side.The device is obviously designed for use with add-on products.I am most interested in magicjack reselling 4G internet service,which the CEO claimed would happen in the second half of the year.It may or may not happen.I believe it will unless the company is bought out.I could be wrong.
....The fact that the upcoming new version of the app is included with the new plus is,I think,a great selling point.The current app works great on my kindle fire hd.
greenman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted previously about this here after finding out exactly what's involved. Read SteveHC's response immediately after as well.
http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/post82579.html#82579
wacojohn
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:33 am    Post subject: 2014 MJ+ nothing but problems for me. Reply with quote

upgraded a mj+ 2012 to a 2014. Plugged it in .. would not register. Tried it on two other computers. Same problem. 2012 works on all 3.

Hooked up with chat support .. went through all kinds of bs ... connect with computer, connect without computer, connect directly to cable modem, connect directly to router. Try with phone, try without phone, on different computers. Would .register. Convinced them the device was bad.

Said they would send me another 2014 but it would cost me $11. Fine. 2 days later, a brand new 2012 arrived. Wonderful.
Meanwhile, I had restored one of the computers with a FACTORY restore ... to be sure the problem wasn't me .. but a bad device.

Hooked up with chat support ... told them about the 2012 replacement mistake. They wanted to test the 2014 AGAIN. Told them I had been through that ... but would try again with them ... plugged it into the newly restored computer, and it worked. Great!! Switched my account to 2014 Device ... and lost 6 months of free service. Fine.

Since then, THAT computer has done some MS updates ... and for some reason, the 2014 is back to the same original problem. Will not register.

So .. now I have no MJ service. 2014 wont' work, and 2012 is deactivated. I tried to reactivate 2012 online .. but they want me to buy an entirely new subscription.

Worst part of it all ... no support except through chat. I just don't believe I can go through that again.

I have done a factory restore on yet another machine ... and am hoping to narrow down the problem ... but haven't so far. Having update problems on it.

Just thought I would mention this .... in case someone else is having the same problems.
Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried "computer system restore"?
Back to before updates/changes.
greenman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the new 2014 magicJack, did you follow the directions as shown in the video as shown on this thread?
http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/magicjack82636.html#82636
wacojohn
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pilot wrote:
Have you tried "computer system restore"?
Back to before updates/changes.

No ... might work for troubleshooting, but I prefer the updates to mj working .. if you get my meaning.

I am online with them right now. They fixed the problem for the XP machine .. did several downloads .. usb scrub .. ms fixit ... and it now works. They said to the same thing with other computers in the house (W7) and that DOESN'T work. the Fixit says not for this computer or something like that. That's why I am back on support chat. More to follow.
wacojohn
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenman wrote:
If you have the new 2014 magicJack, did you follow the directions as shown in the video as shown on this thread?

No ... but I will if support can't get it fixed on this w7 machine.

Thank you both for your help. Will update in a short while.

Edit: What a nightmare. She did fix the XP machine ... it works with 2014 now ... but .. unknown to me, she also blew away my CD/DVD drive software. One of the 'utilities' she told me to use is called usbscrub.exe ... and she also gave me an MS Fixit to run. End result ... 2014 works ... CD/DVD drive doesn't.

Sooo, I got that all straightened out ... basically installed Roxio ... VERSION 9 .... good thing I had the Roxio CD. I THINK the XP machine works now except ... no dial tone on the phone. MJ support says use another phone .... but his phone worked fine on the 2012. I think there is still something wrong.

On the W7 machine ... 2014 doesn't work either ... she said 'do the same thing on it we did with the XP machine" ... and .. not yet knowing it blows away CD/DVD software, I did everything .. until I got to the Fixit which said 'not for your operating system'. Great ... at that end ... more did not work than when I started. Went back to chat support .. got an upper level tech ... he took a TOTALLY different approach ... refreshing every USB driver .. blah, blah, blah ... and I had to tell him I was out of time. He nicely said come back to chat and mention a case number and his name. I think the W7 machine is honked ... sooooo, I am now doing a factory reinstall ... for the 3rd time in a week ... all since 2014. By the way ... 2012? ... works just fine on either machine (when they are not corrupted up).

Thing is ... I don't know what the final outcome of this will be. Can't keep doing what support tells me to ... messes up my machines ... and right now, my account is tied to the 2014.

Wish I had never received that promo email.

I just now read that thread at:

Just goes to show me .. 2014 is not ready for prime time. Gonna try to revert everything to 2012 ... I think.
greenman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wacojohn wrote:
... Just goes to show me .. 2014 is not ready for prime time. Gonna try to revert everything to 2012 ... I think.
I just bought the 2014 myself. It is a bear to install. To reinstall your CD/DVD drivers, it's usually a very simple thing on Windows 7.

Click on the windows Start Button.
Pull up to "Computer" in the gray menu field.
Click "System Properties".
Click "Device Manager" in the left-hand sidebar.
The device manager pops up.
Click the arrow next to "DVD/CD-ROM Drives"
A list of DVD/CD-ROM drives will appear.
You should see the 'warning' triangle for the affected drive.
Right click that drive and pull down to uninstall.

Reboot.

Windows should detect a missing driver and install it immediately upon restart, using the automated driver installer. Most DVD/CD drives are covered by windows 7's automated installer. At some point you may be asked to bestow administrative privileges on the driver install, but you should be good to go.

My 2014 isn't really any better or worse, but then magicJack hasn't misbehaved at all since the first two months we had it.

I hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: