magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why Keep your Magic Jack when you can switch to something be

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luv2uallday
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Why Keep your Magic Jack when you can switch to something be Reply with quote

Hello I am a FORMER Magic Jack fanatic. But when I found out MJ has nothing to offer its customers I decided to switch over to the Nettalk family. It was the best decision of my life. The call quality is much better, the caller id includes the name it has all the features that MJ has but without the computer. AND TEN TIMES MORE STABLE to boot!!!!

Don't take my word for it try it out. In addition when you need to t alk to tech support or customer service you talk to a human being on the phone not a chat box.

Nettalk cares and listens to it's customers Magic Jack doesn't give a crap. Besides porting your number how responsive have they been?

NT has just ideveloped a videophone program for their device so now not only can you talk to your friends and loved ones you can see them too.

Nettalk has is picking up accalaids by laptop editors choise and more and just got certified business ready by pc world. In addition got a really good review by Dallas Morning News. Can Magic Jack boast that as of late?

Plz don't take my words at face value do your own research and form your own opinions these are mine. I have both Magic Jack and NT. I can truly vouch by comparing the two NT wins hands down.

www.nettalk.com
check it out
lychy
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually LIKE chatting instead of talking to someone on the phone. Almost all the companies I deal with have 24/7 (or part time) chat services for support and I 100% always choose to chat over phoning them.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lychy wrote:
I actually LIKE chatting instead of talking to someone on the phone. Almost all the companies I deal with have 24/7 (or part time) chat services for support and I 100% always choose to chat over phoning them.

One reason is easier to understand someone in a chat than on the phone when they cant speak Engish worth a crap. VERY annoying. Thankfully a few companies have realized support needs to understand and be undestood when spoken too and no longer have their call centers in Inda or elsewhere overseas. Sometimes saving $ isnt worth the wrath and loss of customers. Sadly though most don't give a crap.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lychy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:
lychy wrote:

One reason is easier to understand someone in a chat than on the phone when they cant speak Engish worth a crap. VERY annoying. Thankfully a few companies have realized support needs to understand and be undestood when spoken too and no longer have their call centers in Inda or elsewhere overseas. Sometimes saving $ isnt worth the wrath and loss of customers. Sadly though most don't give a crap.

You're right! That is actually my main reasons, aside from them being hard to hear or it being hard for them to hear me. It's just plain easier to type and read.

I swear every time I have called capital one I get the same foreign woman (who talks like a man) and I can NEVER understand her!
It's SO incredibly annoying.
conniemadagain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you know 100% of the top 10% MJCS Reps do not speak english???

yeah ... Cool

bitstopjoe wrote:
lychy wrote:

luv2uallday
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:
lychy wrote:

Actually NT CS is based in florida. Its all in the usa.. In addition NT has another form to communicate with them you can submit a trouble ticket and they will respond withing a couple of hours.

Unlike MJ CS where their responses are scripted and don't know what they are talking about (personal experience on this in talking to them on many occasions) NT CS is very very knowledgable and extremely helpful.

Again you have to experience it to know it. what good is a chat box with MJ CS who has no clue how to help you? in the end your still stuck with no solution and only thing u have to show for it is wasted time. That is MJ

I know NT CS well. NT has their own forum and the techs and engineers scour the forums look at problems and inputs from their customers and make changes features etc in resonse to their customers input. MJ has nothing only this is unofficial forum and they don't give a crap to even ASK or listenwhat their customers needon here. On our forum there is a dialogue. That's one of the major differences between MJ and NT. NT listens and acts MJ just rides on what it gots and hope the party never stops. THat's one reason why NT rox. and is better. WHen i found NT i dumped my MJ. I was very impressed on how hungry they are for the market they are in.

HOw many times do you guys talk to MJ techs or anybody? how many times they ask you for your ideas or input to make your product better? These are the reasons I dumped MJ.

To MJ"s credit when i had it it saved me money and did it's job. But its time for MJ to move over and let another titan take over and that is NetTalk.

Nettalk is the Magic Jack killer next stop Vonage Killer

sorry for the rant just passionate about this. Mj is still a good travel device for people on the go but that's all it's relagated to now.
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NT customer service is great. When they shipped my TK it was still setup in test mode. I called them and talked to a tech and they fixed the problem right away. In MJ's defense they do have multiple platforms they support so I can see why the CS may not be as good as NT's. If MJ continues their BS blocking of certain exchanges (which seems like it continues to grow) their most likely not gonna be in business long enough to improve their CS anyway.
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the NetTalk site and they have lowered the price:

https://www.nettalk.com/buy/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1&zenid=94bfa1a70edb368f957fcd05d9406744

I'll probably have to get one since I've pretty much given up on my MagicJack, unless I'm using it to go through Skype or Sipgate.

FWIW, I think I'm the only guy that has gotten acceptable service from MJ customer support. I'm also in the camp that prefers the "chat" over talking to someone. Might have something to do with getting crabby (that's crabby, with a B!) in my old age.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luv2uallday wrote:
Mj is still a good travel device for people on the go but that's all it's relagated to now.

As a counterpoint, I could not disagree more. I don't use mine for travel, never have and probably never will. Sits attached to my desktop, and there it will stay. Except for the continuing software issues, I could not be happier. But from postings I have seen, NetTalk has it's issues with their software as is far from perfect as well. I totally dropped my landline and as each day ticks by I'm saving money. Not relegated to a travel device by any definition.

Time will tell if NetTalk is a MJ killer. But Dan whats-his-name has been at this a while, and I wouldn't bet against him. I'm not going to buy any stock, but I wouldn't bet against him.
conniemadagain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69.95 and 30.00 a year ...

no more free lifetime?

Darkman90808 wrote:
I went to the NetTalk site and they have lowered the price:

https://www.nettalk.com/buy/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1&zenid=94bfa1a70edb368f957fcd05d9406744

luv2uallday
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: responce to your counterpoint Reply with quote

this is a long synopsis im not known for keeping it short lol

NetTalk has its flaws like anything else BUT they are quick to react to them and resolve problems. their two big issues are

1) their drivers are still in beta and are bugged it's a work in progress they are releasing a new driver soon and one day it will be a stable and reliable driver but till then there will be bumps in the road

2) Unlike Vonage NT Duo has no integrated router so it must comunicate with all sorts or routers. An no router is made equally. Some handle Voip well and others can't. That is because Routers have bugs and compatibility issues within themselves. this is beyond NT's control there is no magic solution. My netgear wnr2000 router would not work with my duo with the frimware version it had out of the box because this version had a bug in it that caused it to block the traffic from the Duo with or without the firewall on. I had to revert to the intiall firmware version to get it to work then the next firmware version update fixed the problem and it works perfectly this is a perfect example of the obstacles NT duo has to overcome. Fortunately most people don't have this problem, but its a problem for the few how own one of the problem routers.

Magic Jack is plagued with probems as well but MJ is much more wide spread due to the fact it's peformance and processing is based on the computer its linked to. This makes it a wild card since configurations and setups and health of any one persons computer varies extremely. Thus this makes Mj a very unreliable product unlike NT where it has its own onboard processor and memory to function. even when its connected to a computer it only use is for an internect connection nothing more.

U do save money using a MJ but not as much as using a NT because when you factor in the costs of running PC 24/7 their is a cost that needs to be factored in a average PC consumes 90-150 + of power and that costs about $5.00 + a month in power at .10 cents KWH. But there is a longterm cost that has the possiblity of dramatically increase the cost of using the MJ as landline service. the wear and tear of the PC itself. Running the PC 24/7 causes parts to fail prematurely in the long term sense this cost raises the price of usng the MJ even more

The NT Duo only consumes 5 watts of power so the only costs that are there is the annuall service fee nothing more. the power usage is neglagable.

Even with MJ you save money but not as could be saved by using the NT Duo. No matter how you cut it. The MJ only main advantage is used as a traveling device. any other use is mostly impracticle.

One clear advantage i havnet noted is MJ uses a compressed codec to process the voip signals this reduces voice quality but lowers bandwidth usage. NT uses the same codec as the telecom companies in their landlines which is uncompressed but the voice quality is much better and clearer. the bandwidth usage is alittle higher MJ i believe is 88/kbs upstream an NT is 128/kbs upstream so not much difference but the quality is noticable.

I beleive this annialates your counterpoint lol. I would bet against MR Dan because he's just riding the cash cow for now sooner or later that cow is going to dry up. Unless he can compete he will be left behind. He was the first to make affordable voip service a household name but that doesn't entitle him to be on top he has to earn it and It shows he has nothing more to offer or nothing that can compete with his rivals. what i just listed proves it. As NT name gets bigger and their market share increases it will be evident that MJ is just a dinosaur that doesn't know its extinct yet. All this is predicated if things stay the same. Which doesn't look like it's gonna change anytime soon.

NT welcome to communication freedom
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't annihilate the counterpoint at all. Just because MJ doesn't have a distinct ADVANTAGE doesn't make it inferior to NetTalk. And it certainly doesn't relegate it to only travel use.

I could go over each one of your points, but find it an incredible waste of time. I will however, if you wish, send you a number of links to forums that will tell you that for the life of your computer, you are better off NOT turning it off every night. And an equal number that will tell you to turn it off. It is, however, not a settled matter as you assert.

And people have been talking about the demise of MJ since it started. Any day now has been the chant for years.
tsmith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the commercial over?

You're making a potentially erroneous assumption magicJack will remain the same type of product from now on while others like NT will continue to evolve. Now, I'm not a brain-dead defender of MJ, but I've seen more than a few companies rise to the challenge to remain competitive over the years.

There's plenty of room for products like MJ and NT and others to compete in. Each product appeals to a certain segment of the market, and no one product is necessarily superior over another. Keep an open mind. You'll see more opportunities that way.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsmith wrote:
Is the commercial over?

You're making a potentially erroneous assumption magicJack will remain the same type of product from now on while others like NT will continue to evolve. Now, I'm not a brain-dead defender of MJ, but I've seen more than a few companies rise to the challenge to remain competitive over the years.

There's plenty of room for products like MJ and NT and others to compete in. Each product appeals to a certain segment of the market, and no one product is necessarily superior over another. Keep an open mind. You'll see more opportunities that way.

I continue to be amazed by these people that think Dan will just roll over and play dead. But darn, the guy almost had me convinced. I was SO close to calling MJ to cancel because I've been using it on my desktop and had just been informed it was relegated to only travel use now. Cool
tsmith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. And here I've been stupidly using two in my home when all they're really good for is moving around the world with a laptop. I need to read their TOS more closely.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah crap NOW YOU TELL ME!! And here I was schlepping my full tower desktop and monitor when I traveled!!!! The overhead compartment was a bitch!!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tsmith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that, my friend, is how we gain wisdom.... Wink Twisted Evil
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a bad back Smile
luv2uallday
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ is an inferior device in most cases with little advantages. The facts have been established to prove the point many times over. You can even fax on a DUo MJ good luck trying. a few pages if your lucky.

Dan has rolled over and has been playing dead for along time now. tell me what has MJ done? what new product do they have? tell me something NEW besides the same old thing? I can tell you NOTHING anyone here can give me anything? ur silence on this will say it all.

In the 1 1/2 NetTalk has been in exhistance they have released 2 models a VideoPhone utility and a conference bridging service. Pretty impressive to say the least. can you see and talk to your friends using a MJ? the answer NO but you can with NT's models. I've used it i'ts very impressive and extremely powerful. even is a soft dialer

I predict this forum will die in the following years because no one will be buying a MJ but will own a DUO!!!! y run up your electric bill for no reason at all, why have an annoying dialer pop up in your face when you don't want it to? why have choppy call quality? why put up with all this crap when you don't have to? MJ is the yugo of the voip world. Me i just bought a BMW lol

But besides all this it's great to get a discussion going and arguing going it's fun. .

Last edited by luv2uallday on Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well NOW you guys are just being silly. You are taking a serious discussion about the imminent demise of MagicJack and turning it into a trivial matter about the overhead compartment.

Anyone with ANY sense knows it would have to be checked in. Geeze. Rolling Eyes
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luv2uallday wrote:
MJ is an inferior device in most cases with little advantages. The facts have been established to prove the point many times over. You can even fax on a DUo MJ good luck trying. a few pages if your lucky.

Dan has rolled over and has been playing dead for along time now. tell me what has MJ done? what new product do they have? tell me something NEW besides the same old thing? I can tell you NOTHING anyone here can give me anything? ur silence on this will say it all.

I predict this forum will die in the following years because no one will be buying a MJ but will own a DUO!!!! y run up your electric bill for no reason at all, why have an annoying dialer pop up in your face when you don't want it to? why have choppy call quality? why put up with all this crap when you don't have to? MJ is the yugo of the voip world. Me i just bought a BMW lol

But besides all this it's great to get a discussion going and arguing going it's fun. .

You already admitted the drivers are in beta, and it will be a bumpy road. Be sure the seat belts in that BMW you are driving are in good working order for your bumpy ride.

And 95% of the world quit faxing about 5 years ago, so the fax function is headed the way of the dinosaur anyway.
luv2uallday
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
luv2uallday wrote:

You already admitted the drivers are in beta, and it will be a bumpy road. Be sure the seat belts in that BMW you are driving are in good working order for your bumpy ride.

And 95% of the world quit faxing about 5 years ago, so the fax function is headed the way of the dinosaur anyway.

I don't use my computer to run my DUO mine is connected straight to the router through the duo's ethernet port. the drivers are used if you run your duo through the computer only. But yes its alittle bumpy road with the beta drivers but at least I'm not on a dead end road using a MJ Wink

you are wrong bout the faxing. alot of people who are using the DUo also fax with it as well. I even use it for faxing. So the advantage of fax friendly makes the DUo a good asset for people who use it in their business
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
Well NOW you guys are just being silly. You are taking a serious discussion about the imminent demise of MagicJack and turning it into a trivial matter about the overhead compartment.

Anyone with ANY sense knows it would have to be checked in. Geeze. Rolling Eyes

Nah I call my tower Human Organs, and for some reason they never bother me to check it Smile
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luv2uallday wrote:
nailgunner wrote:
luv2uallday wrote:

I don't use my computer to run my DUO mine is connected straight to the router through the duo's ethernet port. the drivers are used if you run your duo through the computer only. But yes its alittle bumpy road with the beta drivers but at least I'm not on a dead end road using a MJ Wink

you are wrong bout the faxing. alot of people who are using the DUo also fax with it as well. I even use it for faxing. So the advantage of fax friendly makes the DUo a good asset for people who use it in their business

Well now you are being silly. A LOT of people DO NOT use VOIP for faxing. You can eliminate about 95% of people who would not trust their important business to the variables of VOIP. Of the 5% left, 95% of those don't need fax machines anymore. The good ole PDF file and email works wonders. You are honestly with a straight face going to tell me that anyone that relies on signed documents in their business is going to rely on either MagicJack or NetTalk for faxing? There has to be about 25 people in the whole country that would take that risk. So convince yourself that faxing is a selling point for NetTalk, and the other 24 people will listen to you.
luv2uallday
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r these the only things you people can throw at me to rebutt what i said? If that's the case then it further cements my case that MJ is dead and that NT is the future. I'm waiting for somebody with some real substantive points that would prove MJ is still a viable product. but to no avail.

Cool
Nobody beats the Whiz!
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a NT fan myself, but MJ is obviously still a viable product.

1) There are millions of people still using it.

2) Thousands of people are buying new ones all the time.

3) It is sold online and at thousands of retail locations worldwide.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luv2uallday wrote:
r these the only things you people can throw at me to rebutt what i said? If that's the case then it further cements my case that MJ is dead and that NT is the future. I'm waiting for somebody with some real substantive points that would prove MJ is still a viable product. but to no avail.

Cool

The problem is that there is nothing left to refute, or are you just dense? MagicJack isn't relegated to travel use. No one with an ounce of common sense would make this decision based on faxing ability. NetTalk doesn't have all their issues ironed out yet (per you). On and on. NetTalk may drive MJ out of the market, but it's not happening anytime soon.

And the better product doesn't necessarily survive. Go ask Sony about their Betamax machine.
tsmith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luv2uallday wrote:

Cool

No one needs to "prove" anything to you luv2uallday. You're a shill for NT, obviously, which decreases your credibility substantially. Your hard sell isn't selling anybody. NT will either prove itself to be a long-lasting solution, among many, or it won't. I hope they do well, as I hope MJ continues to do well. Your posts indicate an extreme irrational dislike for the MJ product. You need to cool your heels and realize MJ will more than likely remain a viable solution for a lot of people. Not being able to reliably fax has never been a deal-breaker. I'm done with this ridiculous topic.
luv2uallday
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faxing is just small thing and yes i'm a shill for NT no doubt. 100% becuz its such a wonderful product. and i know no one is gonna change their hearts and minds here. but it's good to bring things out. there are people who love their old 1982 chevy nova even though there is something on the market way better and way more efficient and there are others who will always want the new thing on the market that is far better.

It means nothing if don't convince anyone but it's fun to argue it out. i love debate and this is what it's about

well this shill has got to leave

dump your MJ and buy a Duo u will love it for life
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luv2uallday wrote:
faxing is just small thing and yes i'm a shill for NT no doubt. 100% becuz its such a wonderful product. and i know no one is gonna change their hearts and minds here. but it's good to bring things out. there are people who love their old 1982 chevy nova even though there is something on the market way better and way more efficient and there are others who will always want the new thing on the market that is far better.

It means nothing if don't convince anyone but it's fun to argue it out. i love debate and this is what it's about

well this shill has got to leave

dump your MJ and buy a Duo u will love it for life

NetTalk is far better, if you ignore the driver problem and oh yea, the router issue.

It's not a matter of being convinced that NetTalk is or will be better. You were trying to convince that MagicJack is virtually obsolete and dead because of NetTalk, which is an absurd statement.

I for one would probably switch to NetTalk at my next renewal if I saw that there were no problems. But I see plenty of chat about having to reset it all the time, voice mail not always working, inconsistent call quality. It's been tiring enough being a Guinea Pig for MJ, I will wait until NetTalk has been around a while longer and at least has basic things like drivers under control.
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="nailgunner"]
luv2uallday wrote:

NetTalk is far better, if you ignore the driver problem

Keep in mind drivers are only a factor if you connect the Duo via a USB connection. The much preferred method is to disassociate the Duo from your computer and use it as a standalone, self-contained ATA, totally independent of your computer.

Unless, you are traveling with your laptop, ypu'll likely never use it as a usb dongle.

As to market acceptance, I am willing to bet there are more MJ's sold in a single day than the entire quantity sold by Nettalk from day one.
Not that that matters any to the truly committed...
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, my point was kind of the inconsistencies of him stating on one hand that NT was gonna knock out MJ because of how great it was, and then listing the issues with NT on the other hand.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to know the ins and outs of this stuff, but it seems like if you have driver issues, you're not quite ready to knock anyone out yet. And I loved the "the driver is still in beta but they will be releasing a new one soon" line. Sounds like they are using the same play book as MJ. Soon, soon.
luv2uallday
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
Yea, my point was kind of the inconsistencies of him stating on one hand that NT was gonna knock out MJ because of how great it was, and then listing the issues with NT on the other hand.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to know the ins and outs of this stuff, but it seems like if you have driver issues, you're not quite ready to knock anyone out yet. And I loved the "the driver is still in beta but they will be releasing a new one soon" line. Sounds like they are using the same play book as MJ. Soon, soon.

Look there is no perfect service or device. but MJ problems far outweigh NT by a longshot. and MJ sells more because they got here first they have name recognition they have massive advertising they have exposure in a wide variety of stores. Even though MJ is obsolete and inferior everyone will buy it because they have no other options for that price range.... its all people know when NT gets into its maturity and gets greater market exposure. that will change. they will see a better product that will not only save them $$$ in their phone bills but save them $$$ in their electric bill as well.

As far as the drivers NT doesn't make empty promises like MJ or take a yr to do what they say they are going to do (porting example look how long of promises till that happened) they have 2 releases already of the drivers the first one was 32 bit the second driver was 32/64 bit to resolve the windows 7 problem. Now they are releasing a new one to fix other bugs found. it only took them a few weeks i believe after it was found windows 7 wouldn't work then they acted. the driver is a work in progress but it will reach its maturaty and will be a stable version.

I never implied NT was perfect but being a MJ user for over 2 yrs and when I had it it wasa nightmare choppy as hell. slow as a turtle and killed my computer performance and it took 30 to 40 sec to get a dial tone. when i came accross NT and used it was so happy no more choppy voice no more waiting for a dialtone no more cmputer to mess with.

But the other main reason I luv NT SOOOO MUCH is because they have a face book page and I can intereact with the NT guys and voice opinions give input. to have a company be there and hear you out is an amazing thing to me. I was so frustrated with MJ as a user because there was no one to talk to about ideas or ways to make it better they didn't seem to care. I tried to give imput to the chat guys but always a runaround. it was like wasting your time. That is why i'm a shill that is why i'm sold on this company that's why im biased i admit it i am. but it feels good to be a part of a company that listens. I know there are others out there but if you get a feel for their culture and attitude u would be hooked too.

If MJ would open it's ears to what their customers want and ask them how they can make their service better i'm sure it would not be inferior but MJ chooses to just ride the cash cow. But for not they have the name the ads and that will work for so long till a contender comes and gives them a run for their money.

Good luck. MJ times is up.. it had it's reign but a new kid is here on the block NT.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'm very very happy for you. Blah, blah blah. None of that means the demise of MagicJack. First it's obsolete and only useful for travel. Now it will will be around for a few years until people see the light. Make up your mind. You keep assuming that MagicJack will do absolutely nothing in the intervening two years.

And I don't know about anyone else, but you can save the long-winded books, although I couldn't get to sleep and it did make me tired.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point Mr. NT Shill is missing the "average" consumer will always go for the lower price. Right now NT is a nitche product. IF it goes mainstream like MJ, consumers will see which one is cheaper. MOST of them couldn't give a rats a$$ if it goes into a router sans pc. They want to plug it in and make calls...
As someone mentioned Betamax was superior to VHS yet consumers went for the "inferior" product because it was not only cheaper it could also record an hr more, which was perfect for a 2 hr movie. IF I remember correctly doesnt NT limit talking time like MJ does? I believe NT is 90 min where MJ is 120. Then there is the inital expense of NT, $10 more as well as the renewal, $10 more.. Once they go mainstream with TV ads, a la MJ, MOST consumers will only look at price...
NOTHING like competition among companies. Keeps them sharp and prices low.. GOTS to love the free market. Just wish someone would tell the current admin this..
If MJ went belly up then yes I would look into NT. But right now for over 2 yrs MJ has served me well with ZERO problems ( other than the beeping issue in 09)... BUT to each his own....
gashliquor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: NT compares itself to MJ Reply with quote

Rite from the ppl at NT " Rite from the horses mouth "

Verdict
The great thing about the netTALK Duo is that it really can replace your landline. While call quality isn't any better than with magicJack, the real value with netTALK lies in its ability to be used both in the home with your old telephone and while out and about. Also, as numerous readers have complained about magicJack's poor customer service, netTALK's live tech support cannot be undervalued. To us, those two features are well worth the $10 per year

Read more: http://www.laptopmag.com/review/voip/nettalk-duo.aspx#ixzz12ohJF6kl

Design
The netTALK Duo is a small portable device about the size of a deck of cards (3.7 x 1.1 x 1 inches) and weighs 2 ounces. The netTALK Duo tries to look its best with glossy black plastic and chrome plastic lining the sharp edges and covering the flat side of the device. We liked its curved design and the way the front and bottom slope to the more defined edges on the top and back.

There are three ports on the netTALK Duo: On the front curved side is a microUSB port, and on the flat side are Ethernet and standard telephone jacks. There are also three lights on the device. A green power LED is in front; a yellow light to the left of the Ethernet port indicates an Internet connection; and a green light to the right lets you know when the netTALK is fully connected.

Installation and Setup
The netTALK Duo can connect directly to a router via Ethernet, or it can connect via USB to a notebook and use the computer's Wi-Fi. Both methods were easy enough and took less than 5 minutes to complete.

The direct-to-router setup was a cinch. We connected the netTALK Duo to the router with the included Ethernet cable and then plugged a landline phone into the telephone port. It took the Duo seconds to connect to the Internet

. We picked up the phone, listened for the dial tone, and were making calls moments later.

Users can also connect to a Wi-Fi network using a laptop, and it only needs a quick install of the netTALK driver software from the included disc. Once we connected netTALK Duo to a notebook via USB and a phone to the Duo as well, the netTALK driver icon in the task bar turned green after a few seconds, letting us know the device was synced up. Then we started yakking away at Starbucks.

Unlike with magicJack, you can use the netTALK Duo with a traditional telephone handset or with a headset connected to your notebook. While we recommend the former option when using netTALK inside your home, it was nice having the option when on the go.

Call Quality
The overall quality of our calls was on a par with cell phones, in that there was a distant quality, but we could still hear every word clearly. Calls we made when connected directly to a router had slightly less background hiss than calls made through a notebook. During all of our calls there was the occasional pop and the sounds of electronic interference. During one call while connected directly to the router, parts of our conversation cut out.

Features
The netTALK Duo also acts like a regular phone line, with a full suite of the useful features, including call forwarding, caller ID, three-way calling, call waiting, 411 directory assistance, fax compatibility, and Enhanced 911 service--which provides faster emergency response services by quickly identifying your address when you dial 911. The netTALK Duo also supports voicemail, but rather than having a message inbox, messages are sent as a WAV file to your account's e-mail address, letting you save and play them.

Another huge advantage netTALK has over magicJack is technical support: Not only is there a website to answer questions, but the company also provides an e-mail and phone hotline. When we wanted to know what kind of telephones would work with the netTALK Duo, we e-mailed and called tech support; our questions were answered immediately on the call, and we received an e-mail response within an hour.

Verdict
The great thing about the netTALK Duo is that it really can replace your landline. While call quality isn't any better than with magicJack, the real value with netTALK lies in its ability to be used both in the home with your old telephone and while out and about. Also, as numerous readers have complained about magicJack's poor customer service, netTALK's live tech support cannot be undervalued. To us, those two features are well worth the $10 per year premium for service.

Next Page: Image Gallery

Read more: http://www.laptopmag.com/review/voip/nettalk-duo.aspx#ixzz12oicJxhe

My Personal Verdit: Like the COMPANY say's it DOES NOT SOUND any better then a MJ. Just that you get a phone number to call a tech and hope there not a fool rather then type to a fool!

* What did Dan have to say about NT in his own words!

" I�m sure you�ve heard of netTALK, the new magicJack rival. Any opinions on the device?
It�s a piece of sh*t. It has static. The call quality is pathetic. There�s no phone numbers available, and it�s run by a bunch of fly-by-nights with no assets. They�ll be bankrupt soon. We�re a real company with the best network and best software. "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read more: http://blog.laptopmag.com/magicjack-head-honcho-discusses-legality-of-femtocell-device-disses-nettalk#ixzz12okiI2IG
Sumrall
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to beat a dead horse but have used MJ 10 months and Nettalk 2 months. MJ is relegated to a 'standby' status even though they both work well. I did renew MJ for another year and will probably continue to do so - a second line for $20/yr...hard to beat.

As for faxing, using a wireless Canon MX340, faxing/printing/copying/scanning, on MJ line and Brother 560 fax on Nettalk line resulted in perfect transmissions/receptions with no errors. Faxed back and forth six times, called Fla., called other Texas numbers.

You probably can still get Nettalk for 25% ($20) off using coupon code which I did and my son got one a month later (October) and coupon was still valid.

I'm keeping both.
newtoncd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the TK6000 for awhile, but the issues were just too much for me.

I experienced a major garble issue when using the TK6000; I never tried the new Duo. I don't know if the issue is resolved as of yet, but I had to send mine back during the trial period.

In the end, I hope Nettalk makes it and I hope they force Dan to offer a BYOD to MagicJack. ... Smile
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my MJ !

MJ updates it's operational software regularly.

For me on a small dedicated PC with cable Internet the service is about 98% reliable for voice calls.

It's already paid for well into 2015 and if it stops working I will just try someone else for VoIP service.

The service is a great value and feel you generally get your moneys worth if your ISP allows the MJ to function properly.
Smile
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt9876... I'm truly happy your MagicJack is working well for you. Today, I sat in on a webinar that went a little over an hour using my MJ, which is the original purpose for which I bought it.

Worked great! I have two of them and will most likely continue to renew my service. What the heck - forty bucks a year is pretty cheap. However, there have been times I've been so frustrated I've been tempted to drive over the darn things with my truck.

Unlike many of the folks on the forum, my experience with Support has been great. Seriously. But if you go to Rants and Raves, you can find a recent post where I just give up. I keep hoping it will be my final solution to "stick it to the man", i.e. Verizon. But at least for me, the verdict is still out.

I'm hoping gen 4 of the dongle may be the answer. I'll find out in February when my initial subscription expires, so I'll buy a new one.

Thanks for posting. I think the ongoing feedback is important.
tsmith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall I can't complain about the level of service my MJs have given me over the past year. Adding MagicFeatures and MagicRingForever made them even more useful. I haven't had to contact MJ support in all that time, thanks to this forum.

Maybe I should move this to Rants and Raves.... Neutral
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: