magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why Magic Jack Sucks

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ramjet555
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Why Magic Jack Sucks Reply with quote

Magic Jack has a number of serious problems that show utter contempt for the user.
Firstly, its misrepresented. Its not a "magic Jack". The USB jack is a USB memory stick that loads
software into your computer without your permission. When you start up your computer you will have to
endure one minute or longer of viewing a very large advertisement for Magic jack "Tell your friends".
You have no option, you cannot turn this pop up off on start up.

The Magic Jack is basically a headset adapter that allows you to use a phone line instead of a headset. It is basically no difference to SKYPE at all. Skype is a lot easier to use with less popups and invasive software than MagicJack. MagicJack is nothing less than a SKYPE dial out dial in service but you have to put up with a lot of advertizing.

Next. You cannot operate MagicJack without the USB stick in an operating computer. It needs a computer to INFECT its software int order to operate its "softphone". Remember Net2Phone? same sort of software but, horribly invasive.

MagicJack tends to take over control of your headset from SKYPE, yes, Magic jack removes your volume control from Skype and puts it on Magic Jack. When you have problems with SKYPE, go check the settings on Magic Jack and put it back to handset.

POPUPS. There is some free software that will stop MagicJack popups during calls. That works well.

LIVE CHAT, live chat can take a very long time to find and actually reach.
Make a note of the link, and don't expect any high quality of service. Agents use micky mouse selections, from a menu instead of typing. You might as well be ordering a hamburger at McDonalds.

The owner claims to respond to emails but he did not answer mine.

The MagicJack USB cannot operate without installing itself in a computer.
I'm not familiar with the Vonage USB stick but suspect that vonage probably do the same thing.

I would much prefer to have a small box that plugs into an eiternet connection OR a usb slot.

The call quality can be terrible especially to Canada.
Expect a 300 ms to 400ms delay on all calls.
You get used to it on a long call but its very annoying.
Volume, often the other party sounds extremely loud, and distorted.
I' have had similar problems with other voip services in the past and
its again, very annoying.

MagicPhone will not work with a VOIP Phone, obviously, they are doing DIDS or whatever so
they can assign numbers, it would be nice to have the same service available via
a VOIP phone like a lynksys wip330.
maine-iac
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, can you make phone calls or not?
Delavan
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't like it, then don't use it. Nobody is forcing you to use it. Jeez, we're talking $20 (or less) per YEAR for unlimited phone calls! MagicJack works just fine for many users, myself included, and we're very happy with it. Sure we've had problems at one time or another, but it works flawlessly for me. You can't please all of the people all of the time and some of the people none of the time.
caangel
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I read what you have to say and I have to say i love my MJ it works great am not having any of the problems you are
I dont mind the ad's for 20.00 a year I dont mind them I have used Skype and alot of the time got broken call's I dont get that with MJ I get a very clear sound am sorry your having so many problems but I like mine.
lonestarmagic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No serious problems here....actually no problems at all. It's amazing all the BS some people dream up about MJ because they prob have a POS computer setup.

Those who come here in need of help, I'm willing to help anyway I can.....those who come here to just bitch and put down MJ.....well, they just need to throw the thing away or send it back if within the 30 days.

I've shut down my landline since MJ has worked just as good if not better and I'm saving a bundle on monthly phone bills.
sligg
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lonestarmagic wrote:
No serious problems here....actually no problems at all. It's amazing all the BS some people dream up about MJ because they prob have a POS computer setup.

Those who come here in need of help, I'm willing to help anyway I can.....those who come here to just bitch and put down MJ.....well, they just need to throw the thing away or send it back if within the 30 days.

I've shut down my landline since MJ has worked just as good if not better and I'm saving a bundle on monthly phone bills.

For those of us where MJ doesn't work, why is our computer at fault. I have had no problems with three VOIP services but MJ has been a major problem. There are two versions of MJ and the version that works on my system is the old one that goes back a year. The three new version MJ's that I tried, the problem was the same: screech and voice distortion. No one at MJ has been able to solve the problem. I don't have a land line.
mark4090
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Works for me Reply with quote

I've had the MJ for 2 weeks now and think it's great. Most people I speak to do not know I'm not using a land line. I've had many lengthy long distance calls and have not had a problem with it yet. As for the annoying pop-up, search for magicblock pop-up blocker. It's a tiny program that keeps the softphone from appearing all the time. Works great.

mark
joevv

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magicjack has worked for more than a month with out a glitch.

Infact I've decided to become a reseller.

Joe
Magicjack Reseller,
joevv_ma at yahoo.com
lonestarmagic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of us where MJ doesn't work, why is our computer at fault. I have had no problems with three VOIP services but MJ has been a major problem. There are two versions of MJ and the version that works on my system is the old one that goes back a year. The three new version MJ's that I tried, the problem was the same: screech and voice distortion. No one at MJ has been able to solve the problem. I don't have a land line.

Have you tried taking those other MJ's to a friends house to see if they work on their system? If they don't, then you know they are defective, if they do, you'll know something in your set-up is messed up.

The folks at MJ know only the basic stuff to try to help with issues. They don't know all the hardware/software people have on their systems or how it's all wired.

As far as my setup.....I'm using an 8 yr old laptop (Windows XP Service Pack 2), a Uniden phone and connected wireless to my Uverse router thru AT&T as my ISP & Cable provider. I connected my MJ up, let it load it's software and didn't have to mess with anything else to get it to work perfectly.

I've heard some PC's and Laptops don't work well with MJ. It's possible this may be your issue as well. Other Voip's may have worked fine, but there could be a conflict while trying to use MJ if everything else was the same as before. But, you did say your older version MJ worked ok, just not the newer ones.

I'd still have them checked on someones else's system to narrow down what the prob is.
ramjet555
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lonestarmagic I agree with you. I notice a distorted level of audio inbound while at the other end of the PSTN
they complain they can't hear me.

I'd like to know how to extract the SIP, password , all the info to use with my Linksys 330WIP WiFi phone.
I'm sure someone has done this, it sounds feasible? Is anyone using a phone like that with MJ?

Thanks

Ramjet555
bigboffo
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramjet555 wrote:
lonestarmagic I agree with you. I notice a distorted level of audio inbound while at the other end of the PSTN

I'd like to know how to extract the SIP, password , all the info to use with my Linksys 330WIP WiFi phone.
I'm sure someone has done this, it sounds feasible? Is anyone using a phone like that with MJ?

Thanks

Ramjet555

Ramjet555 you join the forum 2 days ago, most of your posts are to complain or negative in some way and now you expect someone to just give you the info that you want.
F-off and read the forum for the information you seek, it is there. I lucked out and got some tips on what to look for PM'd to me by some nice members.
Try being nice and positive for a few posts and maybe someone will reach out and offer to help you.

PS Welcome to the forum...bigboffo Smile
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigboffo wrote:
ramjet555 wrote:

Thanks

Ramjet555

Ramjet555 you join the forum 2 days ago, most of your posts are to complain or negative in some way and now you expect someone to just give you the info that you want.
F-off and read the forum for the information you seek, it is there. I lucked out and got some tips on what to look for PM'd to me by some nice members.
Try being nice and positive for a few posts and maybe someone will reach out and offer to help you.

PS Welcome to the forum...bigboffo Smile

I just have one word to add... violation of TOS
Blackhawk
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Magic Jack Internet Phone Service. Reply with quote

At $40 for the first year and $20 thereafter it is a good deal � but beware, it is not �the VOIP solution�. It is a great additional resource to those that will continue their traditional phone service and are looking to reduce the long distance charges. Expect to receive adequate voice quality � adequate, but not great. Expect that MJ will successfully call most phone numbers � but not all. Calls to several businesses could not be completed. Also, many cell phone numbers also cause MJ to fail. Online technical support is staffed with dedicated people. However, some of the glitches of the Magic Jack simply cannot be solved. For some customers, it is possible that they may never have a glitch depending upon their calling requirements. For most of us, Magic Jack is not yet the answer. Another note, I tested the endurance of the tech support staff. The glitches that I experienced simply were not solvable and I wanted to take the support to the logical end that it could not be fixed. After 8 to 9 hours on one day with no solution, I was prepared to continue the next day. I made one call. The techie, after reviewing my call history, told me that because of my Operating system (XP with SP3) MagicJack was not compatible. I have 3 computers in the house � one with XP SP2 � and it did not work on that one either. The interesting point here is: WHEN THEY NO LONGER WANT TO CHAT WITH YOU � THEY REMOVE THE ONLY LINK TO TECHNICAL SUPPORT FROM YOUR �MY.MAGICJACK.COM� PAGE � EFFECTIVELY SHUTTING YOU UP. Workaround is http://www.magicjack.com/4/magicfix.asp
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackhawk.... I would agree with almost everything you say. However, I would also like to add my own editorial. IMO, most of the folks complaining about their MJ have unrealistic expectations. In fact, I think some of them are down right silly. Twenty bucks a year for phone service is laughably cheap. I'm actually surprised the darn thing works at all!

And yet, I sit here at my computer with one MJ connected to a desktop taking incoming calls being forwarded from my cell phone while it's charging and another connected to a second desktop computer with a wireless connection so I can make outgoing calls. Both working flawlessly. So, if it doesn't block incoming calls or if I have to refill my coffee cup while the splash screen comes up when I plug it in, who cares?

Now to the point of customer service. Customer service with Verizon Wireless has been pretty good. It should be; I'm paying them over $250 a month! My landline, however, not so much. In fact, bad customer service predates Verizon, going back to when they were General Telephone.

So, for twenty bucks a year, I can forgive MJ & Dan Borislow for being weak in customer service. Which, BTW, during the two occasions I had to use them, they were great. But even with low overseas labor rates, tech support could go through whatever the unit profit is on a single MJ in short order, especially after eight or nine hours. I may not like it, but I can understand why they would do as little as possible after the initial session wasn't successful.

I don't intend to come across as disagreeable; I agree with you. As you said, MJ "is not the VoIP solution". I do, however, take issue with the naysayers who expect it to have all the bells and whistles, and more, than the premium voice services.
gashliquor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Why majicJack does'nt suck Reply with quote

For those of you that ssay MJ sucks is because 80% of the problem is you on your end. I know TV ad's etc show plugin play but MJ is far from crap. Im using Vista Preminum and MJ for 5 months with 3 AT&T wireless phones and one wired old time push button phone making 4 phones on one line. Yes some of my operating system values have been changed and yes im using extra hardware to improve MJ. But i will tell you this my audio and receive will blow away aregular land line or cell phone but at min 30% quality. Think im full of it then private message me your land line im as loud as a speaker phone and clear as a bell. My MJ unlike others because my phone has been modified has a out going amp which means i can increase or decrease the out going volume. You can't do that on a regular land line because the good old FCC controls out going sound levels. Of course im using more then the MJ alone to perfect it like this but for 20.00 a yr and the way my system sounds MJ is great!. One thing i'd like to see is that the caller ID display the callers name in the future otherwise everything works. Im also on a T2 connection from RR. Again im LOUD with quality clear audio in both send and receive. And i don't have a old MJ i have the ones that came out 3-5 months ago. Just my 2 cents.
Agent_86
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joevv wrote:
Magicjack has worked for more than a month with out a glitch.

Infact I've decided to become a reseller.

Joe
Magicjack Reseller,
joevv_ma at yahoo.com

Cool , how do you become a reseller ?
norml jack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This past weekend a guy was busted on Venice Beach for selling fake MJ's. No joke.
saxman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had it for about a year and it works just fine. I crashes from time to time but I go around the online tech support people and contact the real tech support people. They know what their doing and I always have it fixed within a few hours at the most. For audio problems I use the Hawking Broadband Booster to increase the connection speed by sorting the traffic. It clears up the audio. Great little device for 30 bucks.
It's the Hawking HBB1- I have very clear calls and I also have the anti echo software installed from Tiger Jet. They have a new site-I don't know it. If your phone is anything but clear, clean and reliable, don't sit and whine. Fix it-get the right people to help you and enjoy all the free calls. There's not many free things in this world so I'm using the hell out of this one!
angel-78
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had mine running since February and I have no major complaints I agree that for as little as I pay I don't think that there is anything better. It does piss me off to see people complaining about MJ on forums and blogs, some people just have nothing better to do. If you pay $20 a year I don't think you should expect your $300 a year phone line that you get through just about everyone else. It is so easy to use if it doesn't work it normally has something to do with PC or network settings. There are always ways around the pop ups run it as a service on an older pc that that you don't use use an ad blocker find a way to configure an ATA like some people have done. But don't complain over little things.
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

angel-78 wrote:
I have had mine running since February and I have no major complaints I agree that for as little as I pay I don't think that there is anything better. It does piss me off to see people complaining about MJ on forums and blogs, some people just have nothing better to do. If you pay $20 a year I don't think you should expect your $300 a year phone line that you get through just about everyone else. It is so easy to use if it doesn't work it normally has something to do with PC or network settings. There are always ways around the pop ups run it as a service on an older pc that that you don't use use an ad blocker find a way to configure an ATA like some people have done. But don't complain over little things.

well said, angel-78
I agree. When it works - it's very nice.
If it doesn't, it's most likely the ISP connection, or the computer it's on.
UNLESS - at the time, the MagicJack company is doing updates, or
their servers are experiencing some problem.

BUT, all in all, I think it has a lot of promise, and hope the company straightens itself out, customer help wise.

They're killing themselves, and future sales, new, or continued, with the stories I've heard here.

I kept it - with the faith they will get better, and hope I'll never need to speak to them. Razz
Melman
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: I AM AMAZED OF THE NEGATIVITY Reply with quote

I am a MJ user since May of 2008. I went from a very fast Internet connection using a wireless setup and my MJ works very good. I have moved and now use a modem that connects to a satellite connection. The speed is alright, but I cannot use wireless with MJ, so I use a direct cable connection and my MJ works great. I really think that most people that have problems is because of how there computer is setup, like running too many programs in the background, your age of your computer, and the internal devices in your computer that can handle MJ or even gaming. If you look at your I use a powered USB device for MJ, even though I have found it works great without the device, but sometimes I am working on other business applications at the same time as using MJ and I want to make sure the calls or voice quality does not get choppy or skip. Also I think most of the people on here are the few that are having problems with MJ and for most of us that are not do not need to put anything at all.
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: I AM AMAZED OF THE NEGATIVITY Reply with quote

Melman wrote:
I really think that most people that have problems is because of how there computer is setup, like running too many programs in the background, your age of your computer, and the internal devices in your computer that can handle MJ or even gaming.

I think some problems are introduced by the way MJ does things.

1. Requiring the use of a USB device (for people who only want to use a headset) introduces needless opportunities for hardware compatibility problems.

2. Requiring the use of a computer (instead of an ATA device you plug into your router). MJ had to use a codec with lower compression. A trade-off between the CPU power it would need to reduce bandwidth use, and competing with other processes (on unknown hardware).

Even by reducing the compression, MJ still competes with other processes for CPU cycles (to perform a moderate level of compression). And, by using a moderate level of compression, it uses 4 times more bandwidth than a dedicated ATA. (This is what I've read elsewhere. I'm not an expert.).

I think many MJ usage issues would be resolved if MJ allowed use on an ATA. But, not the MJ network stability/capacity issues.

Mark
brit
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: No problems so far. Reply with quote

I am new to this board. Just received my MJ today and installed on all my computers on my home network. Called everybody I could think of with no problems and reasonable quality. Ran programs on other computers that access the internet on my network to see if it caused a problem, everything works fine. I even tried using my synergy set up which allows me to run multiple computers from one key board via network connection.
The only problem so far is the voice mail. I cannot seem to get in to change the announcement. So I call forward MJ to my home phone which has a separate voice mail system.
I am retired and have basic phone service, no long distance which saves all those tax's on the bill and am using MJ for long distance calls only.

Keep up all those good suggestion's on set up.

Brit
CDNinKS
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing little device!!

I just received mine here in Thailand. I am using a very low spec first gen EEE PC (with TinyXP) and a wireless internet connection.

I simply plugged it into the USB port and did the update, when I picked up the phone there was the dial tone. I called Canada and my son was amazed, he said I sounded like I was next door, no delay at all.

I had been using Skypeout for my calls to Canada before and although generally good quality, there always was that delay.

I will recommend Magic Jack to everyone.
SpamBox

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDNinKS wrote:
I just received mine here in Thailand. I am using a very low spec first gen EEE PC (with TinyXP) and a wireless internet connection.

Sweet! Think I'll send some to my relatives in Thailand too (they live in Bangkok, Pattaya, and Sattahip)
Imagraphicx
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Who cares? Reply with quote

I do not have mine yet, and assuming I get decent call quality, I agree with most here. I don't mind advertisements and what-not for $20/year.

However, since I only have laptops, I have a solution already planned. I'm going to get a dedicated box at a pawn shop/other and stick it under my desk - leaving it on all the time so that I have service in the middle of the night in case of emergency. That way, I can turn off my laptops when I'm finished working (I work from home), and with my wireless handsets, have service throughout the house 24/7. When and if that box *dies*, I'll just get another. Little price to pay for 24/7, and I won't see the ads often, since my handsets have all my contact info, answering machines and caller ID already built in. Crossing fingers I get good call quality, as this sounds like the best way for as little calling as I do - ATT is just too expensive.
ret27m

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagraphicx
your best and maybe cheapest move would be a thin client, they work GREAT...
JohnnyFreightTRAIN

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why some people get so upset when they see a negative review. This is the "magicjack reviews" category, everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Boondocs
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ret27m wrote:
Imagraphicx
your best and maybe cheapest move would be a thin client, they work GREAT...

I totally agree 100% I am officially canceling my verizon home number. Only thing I wish is that MJ had a porting feature for you number. Currently I put my number on another voip for a 1.00 a month. I setup a voice mail stating my number has changed to my new MJ number. Once MJ offers porting then I will switch over.

I was thinking about using Skypeout for my other voip because my daughter would go over the minutes allowed by MJ. Has anyone ran Skypeout on their Thin Client with MJ running on it as well?
barry lauhoff
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: mine will not work Reply with quote

after a 10 min. chat and a reboot that lost my connection to tech. support it still will not call out, we have a dial tone when dialed just noise n phone, also never got a reg. page. all help appreciated!!!!!!!! Confused Confused
EMB145
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone, I purchased MagicJack about 2 years or maybe even three years back. Right after it first came out. Anyway, When I first received it, I was not happy with it at all. Really bad reception.

A friend and I were talking the other day and he told me that he turned off his home phone service and use MJ for his home service. He said that it worked perfectly for him.

I dug mine back out and went and picked up two cordless phones and plugged mine back in. It updated and I have been using it without any issues what-so-ever for the last week. I plan on going for another week and then getting rid of my landline and using MJ for good. Heck, I can buy a backup for what $30.00. I just dont see how you can loose on a deal like that.

A great product.
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EMB145 wrote:
Hi Everyone, I purchased MagicJack about 2 years or maybe even three years back. Right after it first came out. Anyway, When I first received it, I was not happy with it at all. Really bad reception.

A friend and I were talking the other day and he told me that he turned off his home phone service and use MJ for his home service. He said that it worked perfectly for him.

I dug mine back out and went and picked up two cordless phones and plugged mine back in. It updated and I have been using it without any issues what-so-ever for the last week. I plan on going for another week and then getting rid of my landline and using MJ for good. Heck, I can buy a backup for what $30.00. I just dont see how you can loose on a deal like that.

A great product.

Did you have to re-register and buy another year's worth of service before it came back to life???

Please provide full details about the resurrection process. My experience with 'vintage' MJ dongles which were out of service for years is quite different than what you have described.
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crackerjack... don't know how old your vintage MJ is but I bought my first one in February of '08 and it works fine, although I never let the service expire. I haven't used the newer one (post-April 2008) for a while; I should plug it in, just to see if I can notice a difference.

What was your experience? Do you think it was the hardware or something else?

Last edited by Darkman90808 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkman90808 wrote:
crackerjack... don't know how old your vintage MJ is but I bought my first one in February of '08 and it works fine, although I never let the service expire. I haven't used the newer one (post-April '0Cool for a while; I should plug it in, just to see if I can notice a difference.

What was your experience? Do you think it was the hardware or something else?

I was hoping for response from OP.......

Have 3 purchased in June-July 2007 which are among first units sold. Invoice shows customer # 00073.
These have been collecting dust almost 2 years and I wonder if
kwiggs66
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Love my MJ Reply with quote

I dont know about all the complainers on this forum, but I absolutely love my MJ. I dont have any ongoing quality issues with it. Occasionally I dial the number and dont get a connection and do have to redial but other than that, it works almost flawlessly and for $20.00 a year I have no complaints. My wife did have a lot of complaints at first, but once I showed the the difference between our landline phone bill and the MJ "phone bill" she loves it too. If you think about it this way, my landline phone bill was costing me about $60-70 a month. For one of those months I could get FIVE years on my MJ. Now I dont have to feel raped by the phone company and still have a pretty darn good quality phone. Since most people have cell phones these days anyway, why pay the local phone company prices when you dont have to?? Another comment I wanted to make is this. This Forum is great! Lots of Great info, and while I am not the quickest browser out there ( I can spend hours looking for some help I need) it is actually cheaper than the MJ per year (FREE) and so it is even BETTER than the MJ! Thanks to all the wonderful peeps on this forum, thanks for your hard work writing docs to help dummies like me make my MJ work even better! Love to you all...and Happy Holidays!
n30fr05t
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clear things up for those people that think it's the computer or ISP or the way the wind is blowing.. MagicJack DOES in fact suck. I am in India from the same location, same computer, same time I tired magicjack in headset mode and skpye out. Magicjack was awful. When I used Skype out to dail US numbers, people couldn't tell that I was on the other side of the planet. So, with all things being the same, magicjack is crap and skype works excellent. To go further, skype works better than the BSNL landline, ooma, and my vodaphone India cellphone.
bigbearcards
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: MJ DOES work good Reply with quote

I have been having problems since the latest "upgrade" HOWEVER, MJ DOES work, and it DOES work well. I have used it on several computers in different locations, and it almost always works VERY well. After over 20 months of continuous use, I personally think it is the best deal for the money I have ever seen.

In these days of "if it seems too good to be true it usually is" I think MJ is the exception.

Though I haven't been a user on this forum very long, and have only read a few dozen posts, I think I can offer one bit of advise from 20 months of good MJ service - if you have many windows up on your computer and not much memory, you WILL get somewhat poor service. If people are complaining that your voice is breaking up , close some windows and your call quality will improve. If you always seem to get complaints that your voice is breaking up, then add more ram to your computer. You need a minimum of 2 Gigs of ram, and 4 or more is better. Ram is cheap and it will improve your computer experience as well as your MJ experience.
Llamaman
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic Jack does in fact work and work well. I can't think of any other item I've bought that has saved me as much money as this little jewel has. So far, I've been free from my $70.00 - $78.00 per month phone bill for almost 10 months.

That's about $700.00 I've saved for an investment of about $100.00. (The original $40.00 + $5.00 for the extra warranty + a powered USB Hub + tax + one year renewal. The computer I use was already being run 24/7, so only a trifle in energy costs.)

Sure, there have been a couple of hiccups along the way and some inconvenience when it wasn't working perfectly. Those problems were solved using info from the users here on this forum. Every month nets me more savings and it's paid up for another 14 months.

While there are features that I'd like to add, I can't complain for such a low price.

It's not for everyone. I'd think that the happiest user is the tinkerer that can accept the "some assembly required" aspect of ownership. Personally, I like tweaking on stuff a little here and there. When it's fixed, there's a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction thrown in.

So go ahead. Tweak it a little. Search these forums, make some acquaintances and take the advice you glean. Overcome the little problems and save a bundle of money.
joannem
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: My Canadian MJ Reply with quote

I have heard the odd person mention an echo on the phone, and with some people, I sense a delay, but I can hear them perfectly. Sometimes the phone cuts in and out. There is no rhyme or reason to it. But, in general, after a living hell VOIP experience with Primus, I am pretty dang tickled pink with my magicjack. I call the US and Canada every day and nooo problemo. Very Happy
Jed54
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has his own shared, opinion... we don't need an ombudsman.
[email protected]
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: $0.08 Per Day Reply with quote

The way I see it Magic Jack costs me 8 cents a day. I can live with little glitches here and there. My only glitch with Magic Jack is sometimes incoming calls get a fast busy signal and callers have to try 2 or 3 times before they get through. But if its a major emergency we have 2 cell phones in the house.
BrentOwen
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: My 8 cents worth Reply with quote

I have had MJ for only a few weeks now and have had no issues with it. With all the negative reviews on the net, I am kind of waiting for the problems to show up and rain on my parade. No problems have shown up and everyone I talk to can't tell that I am not on a regular phone. My kids can even be online using xbox and I can be downloading utorrents and I still have good quality audio. My $200 computer that I bought refurbished is over six years old too. I canceled my long distance plan that only gave me unlimited long distance in Canada so that saves me about $130/year. The next step will be canceling my home phone and going with a dry loop system for about $7.00/month. That will save me over 200/year. The computer is on 24/7 anyway because it is also my server for SageTV (PVR). So far, and I say so far because I still think it is too good to be true, I am a happy MJ customer.

I hope MJ is around for a long time.
Sumrall
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My 8 cents worth Reply with quote

BrentOwen wrote:
The next step will be canceling my home phone ...

I hope MJ is around for a long time.

Glad you are liking the MJ. Have had mine going on 10 months with no problems. Dropped landline back in July. I have never looked back.

Been using Nettalk as well but only for one month. No problems with it either.
johnvan
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might get a pleasant surprise when you try to cancel your home phone with Bell Canada. I called just to ask about cancelling and they went into panic mode and discounted my phone, internet and satellite TV so much it worked out to be cheaper to keep it.
BrentOwen
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, but I am not sure I would keep Bell no matter how much they reduce their bill. I am a little upset that I will have to pay them $7 per month for a dry loop so that I can keep my internet service with Acanac. Bell has been ripping my mother and father in-law off for so many years I have been waiting for the day to say good bye to them. I looked at their bill one day and couldn't believe what they were paying. I called Bell to ask what all the extra charges were. The services that were added to their bill six years ago were never even used once. They would not return the money, even though I proved that they didn't order the services. Remember when they use to add "free" services for a month and then you had to call them to cancel them if you didn't want them. My mother and father in-law do not speak English so they didn't know why the bills were higher. So to keep on topic here, I don't think Magicjack sucks, I think the phone companies suck.
paulcf
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: MJ getting worse and worse Reply with quote

I had mid size expectations when I plunked down $69 for this unit. It said I can call anyone anywhere in North America for free. Ok, $69...it's a rip off since I'm in Canada but what the heck...
Well now not only is the voice quality pathetic, the volume is low (I have to boost to max and of course this boosts the static too). I NEVER get a dialtone, I have to disconnect the handset 2 times before it gets one.

Then it does NOT work for area codes 867 and 801. 801 is Orem, Utah and 867 is most of Northern Canada. So, what a rip off. I contact tech support "sorry, we're looking into that" and that's all.

So FALSE advertising, poor QOS and nonexistent support (chat!). All they care about it selling more devices. I certainitly won't be renewing it, I'll use some of the other MODERN VoIP offerings coming out. Ooma looks interesting with no need to have my PC on.

MJ SUCKS.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Return it within their 30 day guarantee and get your money back.
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: MJ getting worse and worse Reply with quote

paulcf wrote:
I had mid size expectations when I plunked down $69 for this unit. It said I can call anyone anywhere in North America for free. Ok, $69...it's a rip off since I'm in Canada but what the heck...
Well now not only is the voice quality pathetic, the volume is low (I have to boost to max and of course this boosts the static too). I NEVER get a dialtone, I have to disconnect the handset 2 times before it gets one.

Then it does NOT work for area codes 867 and 801. 801 is Orem, Utah and 867 is most of Northern Canada. So, what a rip off. I contact tech support "sorry, we're looking into that" and that's all.

So FALSE advertising, poor QOS and nonexistent support (chat!). All they care about it selling more devices. I certainitly won't be renewing it, I'll use some of the other MODERN VoIP offerings coming out. Ooma looks interesting with no need to have my PC on.

MJ SUCKS.

The operational complaints you allude to speak to internet connectivity issues which will have a major impact on ANY VOIP service you may engage Look in this forum for links to VOIP quality tests that will give you an idea if your underlying internet service is stable enough to handle VOIP of any flavor.
Look before you leap and apply due diligence before you come here to b!tch.
rusureuwant2know
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lonestarmagic wrote:

It's not BS when you are getting a message that says they have no agreement with the phone company in that area. They should be warning people some US areas are not covered.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rusureuwant2know wrote:
They should be warning people some US areas are not covered.

They are. It's now in the TOS and their FAQ that:

"Some restrictions in cost prohibitive areas may apply."

It's pretty easy to find in the TOS under "Outgoing Calls". Not so easy to find in the FAQ, but type in "call won't complete" in the search, and the first FAQ has it in there.

Of course "some restrictions" is pretty vague, but could certainly lead one to do more inquiries if you were so inclined to read the TOS in the first place, which most of us aren't.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: