magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WiFi connection on Thin Client??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimisbell
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:13 am    Post subject: WiFi connection on Thin Client?? Reply with quote

I would like to set up the Thin Client so that I have a WiFi connection to the internet for my MagicJack.

1) Can I put a WIFI card in the PCI slot and will the XPe software be able to handle it ?

2) Can I then connect the RJ-45 port to my Wired router to supply the Internet connection for the LAN?

3) Is there a compatible WiFi card with an external antenna connection so I can put the antenna on the roof?
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: WiFi connection on Thin Client?? Reply with quote

jimisbell wrote:
I would like to set up the Thin Client so that I have a WiFi connection to the internet for my MagicJack.

I am not really sure what your trying to achieve here. If you are simply looking to connect the TC via WiFi then once you have a WiFi adapter you wouldn't need to use the RJ-45 connector at all. The connection to your router (one which is WiFi enabled itself) would be via the WiFi nic.

If you looking to have a portable phone which you can carry around then you can just use a regular cordless handset plugged into the MJ which is in tur plugged into your TC.

jimisbell wrote:
1) Can I put a WIFI card in the PCI slot and will the XPe software be able to handle it ?

Yes you can insert a WiFi card into the TC if you wanted but I think you would also need the expansion kit for the TC. The expansion kit provides a new side cover and gives more space for mounting the card.

I have one of mine connected via a USB WiFi interface. That way you don't have to insert a card into your TC. Thats all it really takes.

jimisbell wrote:
2) Can I then connect the RJ-45 port to my Wired router to supply the Internet connection for the LAN?

You can connect the RJ-45 port from the TC to your router and if you have added the WiFi connection your TC would then have 2 nics and ip addresses. With proper routing any WiFi connection to the TC could then be routed to the internet via the RJ-45 nic or visa versa if your internet connection is via the WiFi link then routing from connections to the RJ-45 nic could be routed to the WiFi nic.

jimisbell wrote:
3) Is there a compatible WiFi card with an external antenna connection so I can put the antenna on the roof?

Any PCI nic card compatible with your LAN should be fine but again you may find a USB nic to be easier to deal with. Yes there are some with external antenna connectors available but you have to be careful; signal losses in the cable can be pretty significant.

Sorry it is early for me (first cup of coffee in hand) but I am not really sure what your trying to do or why?
jimisbell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I want more clear. Here is what I am up to.

My LAN is as below:

Internet comes in through the cable into a Motorola Cable modem
(Motorola Surfboard) and is sent to a Linksys 4 port Cable/DSL router
(NR041-WM) to the "internet" port (10/100 RJ-45). The other four
ports are conected as follows:

Port #1 :: 2.4 Ghz, 802.11g 54Mbps transceiver (AirCruiser G Desktop
Router) which provides WiFi in addition to the wired LAN. This card
and antenna mount in the back of a desktop computer where it derives
its power.

Port #2 :: Desktop server running XPe that services my telephone
system (MagicJack)

Port #3 :: Desktop PC running Linux (this is the desktop that
supplies the slot and power to the wireless LAN transceiver.

Port #4 :: Desktop PC running Linux

I also have all the Linux boxes connected to the Telephone XP PC
through tightVNC through the LAN.

I will soon be replacing the "$4 thrift shop" telephone server with a
HP Thin Client (T5710) for better service.

All of this, by some miracle of black arts, actually functions as I
designed it. And fairly well, if I do say so myself.

But I am now in the throws of disconnecting myself from the "Grid".
I have begun the design of a wind powered system for the house that
will be connected only to the grid so that I can sell them power and
use them as my storage media for energy. I have already cut Ma Bell
off at the ankles. She no longer gets my money. I have a well for
water so as soon as I have the windpower system up, I have free water.
Since I live on the top of the hill and there is no way to shut off a
sewer system (and shit flows downhill) I wont have to worry about that
bill either (its on the water bill...#Cool .

Next, and where I need help, is to my method of cutting the cable
link. I currently use it only for my ISP. I use satellite for TV

I have a tower that is 71 feet above the bay and is line of sight to
downtown Corpus about 8 miles away, line of sight to Portland 6 miles
away, line of sight to Aransas Pass 5 miles away and line of sight to
Port Aransas 6 miles away. All these cities have several free
wireless internet connections. My plan is to design and build a 2.4
ghz antenna with about 16 to 20 dbi gain to mount on the top of the
lighthouse tower. I will bring that signal down a 35' coaxial cable
to the site of the current wired router.

Here is where I am stumped. What is the best way to get that signal
into the DSL port of the Linksys router so I can throw away the
Motorola Modem? Is there a "Modem" that would take the 2.4 ghz
signal and put it on an RJ-45 (CAT 5) cable in the correct format
that the Linksys Router could use it?

The computer on port #2 is the Thin Client.
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming that you can actually communicate with one of these public access points (your side is easy; their side may not cooperate), the easiest way is to use a Linksys WRT-54G or WRT-54GS or WRT-54GL that has removable antennae (RP-TNC connectors) and replace the Linksys firmware with DD-WRT.

DD-WRT will allow you to put the WiFi radio into client mode, from where you can "shop" for the best access point and join that network with one click. DD-WRT will also allow you to boost the WiFi power from 28mW to 251mW. Depending upon the duty cycle you demand of the WiFi radio you may need to crack open the case and add a heat sink/fan assembly to the radio chip at the higher power. The DD-WRT site has all of this information, and more.

p.s. Isn't your sewer bill based upon your water usage? If so, that bill should drop way down when you start drawing water from your well.
PTravel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simplest solution is to get a USB wifi card and plug it into one of the USB ports. XP3 will support it, but . . . you may need to get some dlls that are missing from XPe. The easiest way to do this is to install the USB wifi card on a full XP machine, copy the system32/drivers and system/32 folders under Windows to a CD-ROM or a USB flash card and then, when you install on the thin client and XPe asks for the location of certain files, point it to the USB drive or CD.

This works, by the way, for almost any hardware you want to install on XPe that is not otherwise fully supported.
jimisbell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mberlant wrote:

p.s. Isn't your sewer bill based upon your water usage? If so, that bill should drop way down when you start drawing water from your well.

Actually, once I am on the well I will cut off the water as there is an $84 minimum. By cutting off the water, I cut off the bill. Since there isnt a valve on the sewer, I will still have it!!
murphy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic response. You may be in for a surprise. If they can't base your sewer bill on water consumption, they will probably assess a flat fee for sewer service. My water comes from a well but all water that ends up in the sewer system goes through a meter. My sewer bill is based on that meter. My sewer service cost is about 1/4 of what it would be under the flat fee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: