magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will WebTV work with MJ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagicPhoneMan
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Will WebTV work with MJ? Reply with quote

I pulled my old WebTV Plus with 56K modem out of the closet to see if would work with MJ. It made the connection but it couldn't communicate. Since you can send faxes with MJ I figured WebTV would work too. Anybody know if I can get the WebTV modem to work with MJ?
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fax speed is 14.4K baud and could go lower to 9.6K baud for less error faxing. Your 56K modem may not connect reliably at high-speed, try to lower the modem speed to 9.6K baud.
MagicPhoneMan
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 56K modem is built into the WebTV. I was wondering how do I throttle down the speed. Is there a prefix I can add to the dial out number? Is there a jumper setting on the modem? I have no problem with taking this thing apart
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have WebTV so I don't know if it has any special menu/option/setting screen to set the modem connection speed. Let me google it to see if I could find something.

Update: I found some WebTV reference ( code S8 ) that says WebTV needs to connect at minimum 14.4K baud, and MJ could barely work at 14.4K baud for modem connection, so I guess you're SOL Smile

see code S8 here:
http://igo2xs.us/mcodes/
HendersonMike
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did not mention if you have an active webtv account, for without an active account, you ain't gonna be able to connect to the internet and if you do have an active account, then you might as well have a phone company line cause the last time I used my old webtv+ unit (over 6 years ago), it was @25.95 a month hence you would be paying $25.95 (much more than that now I am sure) plus $19.95 a year for the MJ service...($331.35) Not a very equatable thing to me.
Best thing you could do with that webtv is to use it for target practice. Or a wheel chock.
root
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Will WebTV work with MJ? Reply with quote

MagicPhoneMan wrote:
I pulled my old WebTV Plus with 56K modem out of the closet to see if would work with MJ. It made the connection but it couldn't communicate. Since you can send faxes with MJ I figured WebTV would work too. Anybody know if I can get the WebTV modem to work with MJ?

One has nothing to do with the other.

When you fax on MJ, you are placing modulation on top of another digital carrier, preferably PCMU. But you are talking about using WebTV as the digital carrier. It isn't going to provide the necessary bandwidth needed. If your endpoint is the PSTN for example, then the required modulation would be PCMU, the aggregate bandwith being about 128k. But having said all that I am no expert by any means and there are always exceptions in any one example. Bottom line is that it is doubtful that you would get satisfactory results, if any results at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: