magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Worked flawlessly for 3 months, now error 23

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Indidog
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Worked flawlessly for 3 months, now error 23 Reply with quote

I've used the Magicjack+ with no problems for months and all of a sudden I get an error 23 every time i use it and every call drops. Nothing has changed in my house or on my Wi-fi system...no new devices, same computers, smartphones, etc. Just get an error 23 seemingly out of nowhere.

All our computers (3 of them) are running OSX, some 10.5 and some 10.6. We have an Airport Extreme for a base station and an Airport Express for a range extender.

I've read about the Static IP...I've gotten the MAC address for my MJ+...I got the port forwarding #'s...i still can't figure out how to set it all up though after a good 6+ hours of reading thru internet blogs.

I kinda don't see why setting up the port forward/static ip is necessary since it worked fine up until now?!? Maybe that's what I need to do? If so, pleeeease help! I've got 2 small kids, couple jobs, etc. and this is eating up every bit of my free-time, and mean while I have no phone! (Our cell phones don't work at the house).

Thanks!
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that error code means is that your MJ+ is - at least temporarily - losing its proper Internet connection. The causes for this can be almost endless - but 99% of the time its hardware related. Can even be caused by a loose or corroded Ethernet cable, a router suddenly acting a bit flaky, a loose AC power connection, you name it. Assuming you're using the MJ+ as a stand-alone device, if I were you I'd first try running it via direct USB connection rather than a direct router connection - if it then works properly start looking at the MJ+'s own AC adapter, the Ethernet cable you've been using to connect it to the router, etc. But - and this is VERY important, more so than most people realize - also do THIS:

a) Power down your modem & router by unplugging their power connections, and fully disconnect the MJ+ from its AC adapter and your router.
b) Power up the modem.
c) Wait until a minute or so after the modem has fully powered up and reconnected completely to your Internet service.
d) Power up your router.
e) About a minute after your router has fully powered up and fully connected to your modem and Internet service, connect your MJ+ to the router and its AC adapter in *EXACTLY* the order that MagicJack's instructions state:

Using magicJack PLUS without a computer:
1. Plug the magicJack PLUS into the (UNPLUGGED) power adapter that has been provided
2. Plug the Ethernet cord that has been provided (or better yet use a higher quality one) into the magicJack PLUS
3. Plug the other end of the Ethernet cord into your router
4. Plug a telephone into your magicJack PLUS
5. Plug the MJ+'s power adapter (which now has the MJ+ attached to it) into a power outlet.
6. Wait a couple of minutes then check to see that the MJ+'s blue electrical power LED and green Internet LED both remain continuously lit and its orange Internet LED continuously blinks on & off; if the LEDs function as described then try making/receiving calls.
Indidog
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You Steve! The ethernet cable helped, and then they sent me the new power adaptor and that seems to help a bit as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: