magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would this thin client work with MJ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isleblue65
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Would this thin client work with MJ? Reply with quote

A friend will sell this to me for $50 and want to know if it can handle MJ as a dedicated TC? If so, for that price, I'm going to buy it.

* TK-5377 Series 17" LCD Integrated Thin Client
o Processor Speed
o VIA Eden CPU 533MHz up to 1GHz
o
o Chipset CLE
o Flash (Standard) 32MB for CE/LX, 64MB for LX(Plug-in),
o 256MB for XPe, up to 512MB
o DDR-RAM (Standard) 128MB for CE/LX, 256MB for XPe,
o up to 512MB
o Operation System Microsoft Windows CE.NET/XPe,
o Linux Kernel 2.4.20
o Local Browser Microsoft IE 6.0 for CE/XPe
o Firefox 1.0 for LX
o Protocol Citrix ICA 8.0, Microsoft RDP 5.1
o (XPe RDP 5.2)
o Emulation (Option) Termtek Emulation:
o ANSI&ASCII , IBM Emulation
o Option Expansion Mini-PCI Wireless LAN Card
o Smart card reader
o Management Software Remote management
o
o Key feature
o * VIA CLE 266 chipset perform high system speed and graphic performance
o * 1280X1024 32-bit true color 75Hz resolution display excellent quality
o * AGP performance up to 8X
o * Video Share System memory from 8MB to max 64MB
o * Support DDR SO-DIMM 200pin Memory up to 512MB
o * USB 2.0 support 4 ports available, 2 ports front and 2 ports rear
o * Complete connectivity include two PS/2, 1 serial, 1 parallel port
o * Support PXE for boot from LAN and recover system from LAN
o * Thin Print support, LPD support
o * USB External Storage support and sharing
o * Flexible adjustment enable Wall-mount display (Standard VESA support)
o * Built-in smart card reader assure security system and easy management
o * Build-in Mini-PCI support Wireless LAN IEEE 802.11b/g
o * Develop own Terminal Emulation of ANSI&ASCII and IBM emulation
o * Convenient Remote Management & VNC tool easily install and control all clients
o * Localization language support available as English, Japanese, Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese
o * Strong ability to customize software service for special application project
PTravel
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can blow it out to 512/512 (and it's not completely locked down), it should work fine.
davrow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And run Windoze XPe, not linux or CE.

You showed us possible specs - what are the specs of the actual box?
(as in Operating System installed, current Flash memory and current RAM memory)
isleblue65
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He said it has 512 Ram and Windows XP Embedded. He doesn't know how much flash memory. Not much to go on, but does this help?

Edit: I was just reading on the HP Thin Client thread that flash could be upgraded with a CF adaptor that costs around $5. I have a 2Gb CF card sitting in a drawer, so if that was the only major concern, this seems like an easy answer. End Edit

The machine is a couple of years old, and what it sounds like you two are saying is that it is probably at the lowest end of the scale that could work (as long as it has been upgraded).

It's the price that got my interest, but if I have to buy memory, upgrade the OS and tweak a hundred settings to get it to work (and then it might not work anyway), maybe I should be looking at one of the HP thin clients that have been mentioned a lot here?

Thanks for the help.
davrow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounding like it will work. 512 is plenty for Win XPe and MJ. Just depends on the Flash at this point.
isleblue65
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got it for $35 so I think I got a pretty good deal. I'm going to pick it up later this week. If it has 256 flash, I'll bump that up with a flash to compact flash adaptor and it should work well. I also got an APC UPS to plug the TC into as I get frequent power outages and surges where I am. That should keep my MJ phone service reliable and consistent.

I'll report back on how it works.

Thanks for the input!
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isleblue65 wrote:
Well, I got it for $35 so I think I got a pretty good deal. I'm going to pick it up later this week. If it has 256 flash, I'll bump that up with a flash to compact flash adaptor and it should work well. I also got an APC UPS to plug the TC into as I get frequent power outages and surges where I am. That should keep my MJ phone service reliable and consistent.

Thanks for the input!

Go for broke:

You can get the IDE flash modules from the link below and they are extremely fast and the price is very affordable. Fooling with Compact flashes may end up being more trouble than it is worth and they are definitely slower than the Transcend units.

http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/ItemDetail.asp?itemid=TS1GDOM44H-S
isleblue65
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HolmanGT wrote:
isleblue65 wrote:

Thanks for the input!

Go for broke:

You can get the IDE flash modules from the link below and they are extremely fast and the price is very affordable. Fooling with Compact flashes may end up being more trouble than it is worth and they are definitely slower than the Transcend units.

My Thin Client says with XPe you can go up to 512MB. What would happen if I bought a Transcend 1Gb or higher - would it accept it? I'm thinking that either 512MB is the highest that the manufacturer of my TC supplies for that model OR the unit is only configured for up to 512, and that can or can not be changed. What do you think?
I just ordered one of the plug in Flash adaptors from Hong Kong by the way. But it was only $3

HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isleblue65 wrote:
HolmanGT wrote:
isleblue65 wrote:

Thanks for the input!

Go for broke:

My Thin Client says with XPe you can go up to 512MB. What would happen if I bought a Transcend 1Gb or higher - would it accept it? I'm thinking that either 512MB is the highest that the manufacturer of my TC supplies for that model OR the unit is only configured for up to 512, and that can or can not be changed. What do you think?
I just ordered one of the plug in Flash adaptors from Hong Kong by the way. But it was only $3

isleblue65,

My experience does not include anything outside of the HP T5000 series so I can't say for sure what will and wont' work.

Now that I have given myself and out, most of them will take much more than the specs claim. One trap that I have run into with HP Thin Clients is the OS and hardware can handle lets say 2GBs but the license checker will say "No way" this can't be an HP "whatever model" and refuse to license the unit because HP never sold one with that much flash or ram (there is a little elbow room on this and I have usually gotten away with twice amount they claim. I had this happen when I tried a dual CF card adapter. When the unit booted up it checked to make sure that the HP licensed XPe was in fact running on an HP thin client. As soon as it saw two flash hard drives it said no way and refused to authenticate the XPe license, knowing that HP had never sold one with two hard drives.

Most of this stuff when you push outside the vendor specs is hit and miss. Also watch out and read posts carefully that appear to claim things like "yup I have a 16 GB ram or flash and it works fine. Read the fine print and you may discover that not only have they changed the way out side of the published specs but they are running a lean version of Windows XP which of course could care less how much memory you have in it (as long as the hardware will handle it).
isleblue65
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the TC and now I'm trying to figure out what is actually in the box as far as Ram and Flash. He has no idea what his admin password was, so is there any way to change this on XPe, such as logging on in safe mode, etc?

When it turns on, the windows XPe screen comes on with the various program icons, but there are no administration priviledges. I did go to 'my computer/ system properties' and it says 224MB of RAM. That's not good news. He did tell me he thought it had 512 flash, but how do I check this?

This is my first TC experience and I'm not sure where to go from here.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isleblue65 wrote:
I got the TC and now I'm trying to figure out what is actually in the box as far as Ram and Flash. He has no idea what his admin password was, so is there any way to change this on XPe, such as logging on in safe mode, etc?

When it turns on, the windows XPe screen comes on with the various program icons, but there are no administration priviledges. I did go to 'my computer/ system properties' and it says 224MB of RAM. That's not good news. He did tell me he thought it had 512 flash, but how do I check this?

This is my first TC experience and I'm not sure where to go from here.

I just answered this for someone in an email so here is that snippet:

"Once you are booted into windows go to the start button and log off. A second window will pop up say log or yes no. Hold the shift key down and continue to hold it down while you click log off continue hold the shift key down until a new log in window comes up. Overwrite the User and blank password with Administrator, Administrator. It is case sensitive so make sure you use the capital �A�. "

If that does not work the only way is to just reflash it. You probable should reflash it anyway so you know you are starting with a new and clean slate.

If you have 512 flash and 256 ram you are good to go for the roll maneuver, Houston out. 512/512 is better but not mandatory.

God I am getting as wack-O as "Jill"

PS after you are logged on as Administrator make sure you go into the control panel and use the HP Log on manager so it will always log on as Administrator. Then do a commit and reboot to make it all permanent.

Commit => if the green lock symbol in the system tray. Right click it and select commit and reboot.

To find out what you have and don't have from the start button run the HP information tool. It will tell you more than you ever wanted to know.
isleblue65
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks HolmanGT.

I couldn't get into admin using Administrator/ Administrator using the log off while pressing shift key. The previous owner had it very well password protected.

My next step was to try to get to the manufacturer's website to download the latest BIOS version, but it seems the manufacturer (Termtek) is barely alive. They have a website, but no software support for this unit, and they only sell these units in Europe and Asia. I guess this might be why I got it for cheap!

Unless there is a generic BIOS that I can flash to without rendering it completely useless, I may be stuck with a dud. Perhaps sticking with a tried and true HP unit that so many here have experience with would have been a better option.

Of course, any other suggestions are welcome as I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel yet.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isleblue65 wrote:
Thanks HolmanGT.

I couldn't get into admin using Administrator/ Administrator using the log off while pressing shift key. The previous owner had it very well password protected.

My next step was to try to get to the manufacturer's website to download the latest BIOS version, but it seems the manufacturer (Termtek) is barely alive. They have a website, but no software support for this unit, and they only sell these units in Europe and Asia. I guess this might be why I got it for cheap!

Unless there is a generic BIOS that I can flash to without rendering it completely useless, I may be stuck with a dud. Perhaps sticking with a tried and true HP unit that so many here have experience with would have been a better option.

Of course, any other suggestions are welcome as I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel yet.

isleblue65,

I am very sorry I thought we were talking about an HP T5000 series unit. If you have anything else what I have been suggesting may be, most likely, is of no value to you.

I appologize for leading you down the wrong path.

Last edited by HolmanGT on Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
isleblue65
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HolmanGT wrote:
isleblue65 wrote:
Thanks HolmanGT.

isleblue65,

I am very sorry I thought we were talking about an HP T5000 series unit. If you have anything else what I have been suggesting may be, most likely is of no value to you.

I appologize for leading you down the wrong path.

You didn't lead me down the wrong path. I bought this thin client thinking that maybe I could get it to work (and maybe I can) with Magic Jack. No worries. For $35 it can still work as a good internet only thin client and it has a nice 17" LCD build on.

I'm sure some of the procedures mentioned in this topic are shared between different thin clients, though the HP software specific ones will be invalid to me.

I did find out that the processor in this Termtek TC is a VIA Eden processor and it uses Award Bios. Award Bios is readily available to download online. I just need to find the procedure to flash my processor.

I'll give it a shot and maybe there is hope. If not, I'll probably cut my losses and look for an HP TC.

Edit 12/19/08: I spent about 6 hours trying all of the tricks on the various internet forums to break into Windows XP Administrator passwords, boot through a USB port, find the correct Bios, etc. No luck. All of these functions require Administrative privileges 'Mad'. The former admin locked it up like Fort Knox, and even disabled Safe Mode access!!

One thing I have a question about is: Where is the Administrator name and password information stored in XPe? I opened the case of my TC and it has a Sandisk CF card for the flash. If this info is stored in the flash memory, I could perhaps get into it through a card reader on another PC? Or is it stored in the Bios, or somewhere else where I could try to get at it? There are some batteries in there that could be removed?? This would be my last resort.

It now resides with the IP guy at my work, and I told him not to feel rushed to return it until he either resets the Admin username/ password or burns up the processor while flashing bios. My hopes are not high.

In any case, I've been scoping out the HP units on Ebay and once I know the status on my Taiwan Special TC, there's a good chance I'll be joining the club of the tried and true Magic Jack HP Thin Client users.

Thanks,

Craig
gaggle
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use the windows pass changer cd. Works every time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: