magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I port two phone numbers to MJ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Features coming to Magic Jack
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gobob
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Can I port two phone numbers to MJ Reply with quote

I have two land lines. One is in Texas and one is in Ca. I would like to get rid of both land lines but keep both numbers. Can I do this with MJ?
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, buy 2 MJ units and port each number to each MJ unit... Only way I can see you doing what you want. I am sure others will chime in if there is another way to achive what you are trying to do.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Palerider0098
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Call Forwarding Reply with quote

Honestly, I'd switch to a different provider given the recent issues that MJ is experiencing. They have been sued for Patent Infringements by Nettalk; the Court Docs were files on 9/21/2012 and now they are charging 19.95 a year for 500 monthly call forwarding minutes. They are no longer the Great Value which sucks, especially since I have 3 MJ's to replace now. You can attempt to get any answers from their live help, but I wouldn't bother as I have asked them many times about these issues and all I get is incorrect or B.S. answers from them.

Go to http://www.nettalk.com and check out their products; They offer a USB Model and an All in one that will work when connected to either a Network Jack or your Wi-Fi Connection. They will also port your current MJ number and they offer free call forwarding as well. MJ now charges for call forwarding and current users will lose this feature as well so there is no grandfathering for us.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Call Forwarding Reply with quote

Palerider0098 wrote:
Honestly, I'd switch to a different provider given the recent issues that MJ is experiencing. They have been sued for Patent Infringements by Nettalk; the Court Docs were files on 9/21/2012 and now they are charging 19.95 a year for 500 monthly call forwarding minutes. They are no longer the Great Value which sucks, especially since I have 3 MJ's to replace now. You can attempt to get any answers from their live help, but I wouldn't bother as I have asked them many times about these issues and all I get is incorrect or B.S. answers from them.

Go to http://www.nettalk.com and check out their products; They offer a USB Model and an All in one that will work when connected to either a Network Jack or your Wi-Fi Connection. They will also port your current MJ number and they offer free call forwarding as well. MJ now charges for call forwarding and current users will lose this feature as well so there is no grandfathering for us.

Dude go be a shill for Net Talk elsewhere, ok? One post, sure ok, but jeez dude give it a rest OR go play in traffic..
Now go show mommy you learned how to cut and paste...A LOT!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Palerider0098
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

You sound pretty upset, have I offended your sensibility? Sounds more like a piss poor attempt to defend a crappy company!
kedwards
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Call Forwarding Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:
Palerider0098 wrote:

Dude go be a shill for Net Talk elsewhere, ok? One post, sure ok, but jeez dude give it a rest OR go play in traffic..
Now go show mommy you learned how to cut and paste...A LOT!!

I agree. Palerider0098's repeated posts are infuriating...

Keith, who is looking for an Ignore button...
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: ? Reply with quote

Palerider0098 wrote:
You sound pretty upset, have I offended your sensibility? Sounds more like a piss poor attempt to defend a crappy company!

Upset?? Nope not at all. In fact my MJ expired this past Aug and after 4 years I didnt renew it, NOR did I make a zillion ANNOYING posts touting my Obi.
We get it, you love your new Net Talk, fantastic. Tell us once in the Alternative section and be done with it...
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Call Forwarding Reply with quote

kedwards wrote:

I agree. Palerider0098's repeated posts are infuriating...

+1

It's one thing to give an opinion when it is asked for. Quite a different thing to troll a forum with a canned response when others are looking for technical advice, regarding 2 phone lines...a router...etc...etc.
wgnweb
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you dont know, Magicjack will charge you an ADDITIONAL $10 a line on TOP OF the $29 a year to KEEP your number ported. Who ever heard of a company charging to KEEP your ported number active. They charge to port in(I understand that) then they charge to keep it ported then they charge you $30 to port EACH number OUT if you dont like their service.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wgnweb wrote:
In case you dont know, Magicjack will charge you an ADDITIONAL $10 a line on TOP OF the $29 a year to KEEP your number ported. Who ever heard of a company charging to KEEP your ported number active. They charge to port in(I understand that) then they charge to keep it ported then they charge you $30 to port EACH number OUT if you dont like their service.

I also hear Dan is working on a plan to charge an extra $15 a year if you allow your phone to ring more than 2 times!!! Plus an extra $5 if you say hey instead of hello. hehehehe
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is all the fault of RedPepper at PCPhoneSoft.

So many of us were not using our MJ's as Dan intended and were having all our calls forwarded to GV that Dan felt he needed a way to keep current MJ users from trying it out, over an extended period, using our MJ numbers. I probably would have kept my MJ subscription. So if the termination fees on my forwarded calls for a year would have been less than the $30, it's his loss. It's a distraction to give out a new number after 3 years, but as I've proved on this forum from time to time, I do have some idle time on my hands. Cool
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
I think this is all the fault of RedPepper at PCPhoneSoft.

So many of us were not using our MJ's as Dan intended and were having all our calls forwarded to GV that Dan felt he needed a way to keep current MJ users from trying it out, over an extended period, using our MJ numbers. I probably would have kept my MJ subscription. So if the termination fees on my forwarded calls for a year would have been less than the $30, it's his loss. It's a distraction to give out a new number after 3 years, but as I've proved on this forum from time to time, I do have some idle time on my hands. Cool

- I serriously doubt that is the reasoning behind their decision to start charging extra for Call Forwarding. I think that there are two more likely reasons:

1) It costs them money to forward incoming calls to numbers "controlled" by other telcos... call termination fees and in some if not many cases, possibly 3rd-party long distance fees as well. Some MJ customers do such call forwarding almost on a permanent basis, while others use it minimally and in somecases not at all.

2) MJ is a publicly traded company. In order to keep its stock value moving upward as steadily as possible, they have to find a way to at least incrementally increase its profits. They've already maxed out on operational and financial efficiencies, and possibly plateaued out on retail sales (at least for the time being), so the only thing left is probably looking for ways to increase revenue from pre-existing customers/subscribers. Charging extra for download and usage of the apps - like OOMA does - may be next.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveHC wrote:

1) It costs them money to forward incoming calls to numbers "controlled" by other telcos... call termination fees and in some if not many cases, possibly 3rd-party long distance fees as well.

Thanks for the termination fee info, seems like I've seen that somewhere before. Oh yea, in my post.

I was being more sarcastic than anything, but the timing with the App coming out, and being much more popular than the App company thought, is at least curious.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
SteveHC wrote:

1) It costs them money to forward incoming calls to numbers "controlled" by other telcos... call termination fees and in some if not many cases, possibly 3rd-party long distance fees as well.

Thanks for the termination fee info, seems like I've seen that somewhere before. Oh yea, in my post.

I was being more sarcastic than anything, but the timing with the App coming out, and being much more popular than the App company thought, is at least curious.

- Oh yeah, definitely - they're clearly looking to boost revenue by nickel-and-dime-ing us.
wgnweb
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magicjack has EVERY right to charge what they want. The problem is they are not the "best". There are others better or just as good out there. Another problem they have right now is that they are probably going to loose the lawsuit against them by netTALK. They will want to recoop that cost too. they will probably start charging a fee if you want to talk for longer than 5min at a time.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wgnweb wrote:
...Another problem they have right now is that they are probably going to loose the lawsuit against them by netTALK.

- I'm not so sure about that. As I understand it, MagicJack first sued NetTalk, actually; NetTalk's suit *appears* to be a retaliatory counter-suit (the likes of which often wind up not faring too well in court, and at best serve to possibly help "blunt" the outcome of the original suit). But your point is certainly well taken.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They charge to port in(I understand that) then they charge to keep it ported then they charge you $30 to port EACH number OUT if you dont like their service.

They cannot charge you any fees for an outgoing port. So if you want port your number out of MJ, you just do it and ignore their blackmail.
wgnweb
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES THEY CAN CHARGE. You guys keep saying "they cant charge". It is right on the FCC website that they can charge to recoop their expenses. HOWEVER what they CANT do is hold up the port from going thru for NON Payment.
ladylucerne
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I port two phone numbers to MJ Reply with quote

gobob wrote:
I have two land lines. One is in Texas and one is in Ca. I would like to get rid of both land lines but keep both numbers. Can I do this with MJ?
ladylucerne
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

answer me when you receive my question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Features coming to Magic Jack All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: