magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does Each Magicjack have a SIP Call-in Number?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagicJake
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Does Each Magicjack have a SIP Call-in Number? Reply with quote

I was thinking that each Magicjack might have associated with it a SIP phone number in addition to it's regular PSTN call-in number. Mabe then there would be a way that someone using FreeWorldDialup for example could call the Magicjack using only SIP without having to go through the PSTN system. Anyone have any thoughts about this?
xxM5xx
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Does Each Magicjack have a SIP Call-in Number? Reply with quote

MagicJake wrote:
I was thinking that each Magicjack might have associated with it a SIP phone number in addition to it's regular PSTN call-in number.

I don't know much about this but I feel the same way.

MagicJake wrote:
Maybe then there would be a way that someone using FreeWorldDialup for example could call the Magicjack using only SIP without having to go through the PSTN system. Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Even if you have a static SIP number assoc. to your MJ account, it is possible that MagicJack is a closed SIP network (no peers) thus preventing any SIP device outside the MJ network from ringing a MJ device using SIP. Many SIP networks interoperate, many do not. SIPBROKER.COM will "bridge" most non-peered SIP networks, but there are some networks it cannot bridge.

If MJ is on a closed SIP network (which I think it is), someone would only be successful in utilizing SIP by being a MJ member and knowing other members SIP numbers, plus you'd have to know your own login credentials in order to configure your own SIP hardware (Internet phone) for login and to initiate a SIP call to another MJ member (SIP to SIP).

I have a difficult time thinking of a benefit to two MJ holders calling each other within the closed network this way. I see some benefit in calling a MJ SIP # from FWD (or SIP network of your choice) because now anyone on Earth could use SIP to contact MJ analog POTS phones (without ever connecting to the POTS system), but Dan Borislow doesn't seem to welcome this type of interconnect. Reason being, I believe Dan Borislow gets money whenever a call from the PSTN/POTS network rings one of his MJ customer's numbers. It is not in Mr. Borislow's interest to allow SIP equipment from outside the MJ SIP network to connect to clients within his network. Plus, I believe if two MJ members call each other that neither of them is ever connected to POTS. MJ's servers would be smart enough to recognize that both parties (the caller and the callee) are using MJ and Borislow would keep the call 100% on his equipment/network.

Can anyone contribute to these speculations?
digitalnomad
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sense. Why else would they have there own switch? They have to make money on one end or the other.
SpamBox
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Does Each Magicjack have a SIP Call-in Number? Reply with quote

xxM5xx wrote:
I have a difficult time thinking of a benefit to two MJ holders calling each other within the closed network this way. I see some benefit in calling a MJ SIP # from FWD (or SIP network of your choice) because now anyone on Earth could use SIP to contact MJ analog POTS phones (without ever connecting to the POTS system), but Dan Borislow doesn't seem to welcome this type of interconnect. Reason being, I believe Dan Borislow gets money whenever a call from the PSTN/POTS network rings one of his MJ customer's numbers. It is not in Mr. Borislow's interest to allow SIP equipment from outside the MJ SIP network to connect to clients within his network. Plus, I believe if two MJ members call each other that neither of them is ever connected to POTS. MJ's servers would be smart enough to recognize that both parties (the caller and the callee) are using MJ and Borislow would keep the call 100% on his equipment/network.

Great job explaining this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: