magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Easy way to use magicJack without usb dongle...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
johnnyboy
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Easy way to use magicJack without usb dongle... Reply with quote

Here's how to use the magicJack service without plugging in the dongle...

1.plug in the magicJack dongle
2.copy the "magicJack" folder from the magicJack drive to a drive on the harddrive
for example, "C:\magicJack\"
3.[optional, but so it would be available for any user, and easier to access] copy the
"mjusbsp folder somewhere else
for example, "C:\mjusbsp\"
4.if no shortcut to magicJackLoader.exe, make one
5.open the properties page for the shortcut (right-click shortcut...properties)
6.replace the "Target" entry with:
"C:\mjusbsp\magicJack.exe" /foreground /scf _magicJackPersonalDataRoot "C:\magicJack"
(using drive letters for the drives the folders were copied to)
(notice the use of "magicJack.exe" rather than "magicJackLoader.exe"
7.put "C:\mjusbsp" in the "Start in" entry
8.using msconfig, disable the "cdloader2" entry in the Startup tab

start magicJack from the shortcut

for updates, plug in the dongle periodically to let updates occur and re-copy the folders...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me


Joined: 27 Feb 2008
Posts: 701

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnyboy... apologies for asking the proverbial "dumb question" but where do you plug in the phone jack?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
johnnyboy
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, this is assuming you will be using the computer with headset and not have to plug in a phone

I just personally prefer to use the computer and not have to use the usb hardware for it
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me


Joined: 27 Feb 2008
Posts: 701

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, "proverbial dumb question"... duh!

I tried using a headset once without very good results, so I pretty much forgot about it. Since I use a cordless handset with a headset for mobility, it's probably a moot point, but I like knowing it can be done anyway.

In the immortal words of magicjoe, "I love my little bundle of joy!"

Thanks!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HendersonMike
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 09 Apr 2008
Posts: 274
Location: Henderson, Nevada state, usA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen many a post asking if that dongle was needed and I have even answered some with "Yes", but now you (if indeed your idea works) have shattered that knowledge base.
I do like the idea that you have to plug in to get any up-dates (which we all know that some of those "up-dates" are killers).

But I could never figure out why anyone wants to get rid of the dongle. I can't even see mine unless I really want to move stuff out of the way and all that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
johnnyboy
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a tablet pc and do not like the dongle sticking out and getting in the way of things.
It is just much more convenient
That, and also the usb port is free for other things that might be handy
Not to mention that it doesn't have to be passed from computer to computer
as you can duplicate the same thing on all computers as I do
Anyway, it does work very well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
teddy_b
MagicJack Contributor


Joined: 30 Dec 2007
Posts: 55

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... Can you run the softphone and make/receive calls on multiple computers then? Have you tried?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
johnnyboy
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried it simultaneously yet... but yes.
I haven't tried running them simultaneously yet
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
johnnyboy
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems I forgot to mention one thing:

when setting this up, leave the dongle plugged in, but end both process "magicJack" and "mjsetup" from the processes list in the Task Manager
after copying the folders and setting up the shortcut, still do not unplug the dongle, but run magicJack from the harddrive for the first time with the dongle plugged in, else you will get an error saying the serial number has not been passed. so run it the first time with the dongle plugged in but make sure the processes have been stopped first, and you will be asked to log in by providing your email address and password
as soon as you are logged in and the service is active unplug the dongle
you can then run the program without the dongle.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me


Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 671

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnyboy wrote:
it seems I forgot to mention one thing:

when setting this up, leave the dongle plugged in, but end both process "magicJack" and "mjsetup" from the processes list in the Task Manager
after copying the folders and setting up the shortcut, still do not unplug the dongle, but run magicJack from the harddrive for the first time with the dongle plugged in, else you will get an error saying the serial number has not been passed. so run it the first time with the dongle plugged in but make sure the processes have been stopped first, and you will be asked to log in by providing your email address and password
as soon as you are logged in and the service is active unplug the dongle
you can then run the program without the dongle.


Ok, this makes sense now. At first I was going to call bullshit because the serial needs to be passed and it is located in the USB registration data. Thanks for posting this information, it is very helpful.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
strndedinalska
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 21 Jan 2008
Posts: 230
Location: Alaska

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it works, is definitely useful for travel and laptops. I may give it a try and see what happens.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MajicHack
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 18 Apr 2008
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this exactly need to be entered;
C:\mjusbsp\magicJack.exe" /foreground /scf _magicJackPersonalDataRoot "C:\magicJack" ?

or

C:\mjusbsp\magicJack.exe" /foreground /scf _C:\MagicJack "C:\magicJack

I entered it into target and start in exact as you posted. copied my folders as same names and locations as you.
c:\magjicJack
C:mjusbsp\
I get target is not valid.

please help!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
johnnyboy
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MajicHack,

if you "get target is not valid" that's because it doesn't exist
That is it doesn't point to the actual folder you made...
or the file is missing or wrong ...

you said you copied everything exactly

did you put them on the "C:\" drive?
(I put mine on a separate partition "Z:\"
make sure you have the drive letter right
or make sure you really did copy exactly

it's more like this:
"path to my copied mjusbsp folder\magicJack.exe" .... "path to my copied magicJack folder"

also make sure you copied the Start in path correctly
check spelling"...
copy the folders before you enter the shortcut paths...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TOF
MagicJack Contributor


Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 55

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strndedinalska wrote:
If it works, is definitely useful for travel and laptops. I may give it a try and see what happens.


I followed the instructions (both parts) and it works on my laptop.

1. You may have to migrate your addressbook.xml to the "c:\majicJack" folder and restart the magicJack to see the addresses.

2. Your 911 address may not show up. No problem for me.

3. Received conversations are good. Some transmitted conversations are loud enough but broken up. This could have been due to my wireless connection and/or having a USB laptop cooler pugged in.

Thanks johnnyboy for this innovation. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LisaD
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Johnyboy U R A GENIUS!! Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip!! Worked for me and what a difference!! Took me a whole 3 minutes to do..
One question..could it be possible to use your telephone modem in the pc so you can use your handset telephone?? you know what I mean??
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
johnnyboy
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Johnyboy U R A GENIUS!! Reply with quote

LisaD wrote:
Thanks for the tip!! Worked for me and what a difference!! Took me a whole 3 minutes to do..
One question..could it be possible to use your telephone modem in the pc so you can use your handset telephone?? you know what I mean??


Sorry lisaD, I did try plugging a phone into the phone modem of my computer but it didn't work
I noticed the headset mode is the only option available...

maybe somebody reading this would know how to point magicJack to the modem port...?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
runitragged
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 19 Apr 2008
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this exactly need to be entered;
C:\mjusbsp\magicJack.exe" /foreground /scf _magicJackPersonalDataRoot "C:\magicJack"[quote]

The quotation marks have to be included.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
johnnyboy
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runitragged wrote:
Does this exactly need to be entered;
"C:\mjusbsp\magicJack.exe" /foreground /scf _magicJackPersonalDataRoot "C:\magicJack"

The quotation marks have to be included.


Yes, but make sure the paths to your folders are correct
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eye2020
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Easy way to use magicJack without usb dongle... Reply with quote

If I can finish this job with your instructions, it'll be great help for me.
I mean, I can leave the dongle behind home and there's no chances of losing it.
What a wonderful tip it is!

But I don't understand only 1 line (#7)
What do you mean by saying "7.put "C:\mjusbsp" in the "Start in" entry".

Thank you johnnyboy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
johnnyboy
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Easy way to use magicJack without usb dongle... Reply with quote

eye2020 wrote:
If I can finish this job with your instructions, it'll be great help for me.
I mean, I can leave the dongle behind home and there's no chances of losing it.
What a wonderful tip it is!

But I don't understand only 1 line (#7)
What do you mean by saying "7.put "C:\mjusbsp" in the "Start in" entry".

Thank you johnnyboy.


Below the entry for the Target in the shortcut properties is an entry for "Start in"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
runitragged
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 19 Apr 2008
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AttaBoy, JB!

I really appreciate your efforts. It works great. You freed magicJack and it now enjoys an out-of-dongle experience.

Thank you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
99ss2759
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 21 Aug 2008
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put it on my flash drive. Now all I have to do is make sure I'm at a pc w/a mic and speaker and away I go! Good work! Very Happy

I also have to change the drive letter in the shortcut, no biggie. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PTravel
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Posts: 194

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB, I also want to say, THANKS! When I use MJ on my laptop, it's exclusively with a headset when I'm on the road. Now I have one less piece of hardware to carry with me. Nice work! Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me


Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 671

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if you run it this way what happens if you change the SN in the registry?


Search your registy against your MJ SN to find places in the CurrentControlSet
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
joevv
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 26 Jun 2008
Posts: 121

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laserjobs wrote:
So if you run it this way what happens if you change the SN in the registry?


Search your registy against your MJ SN to find places in the CurrentControlSet


Ops! I smell a security issue here. Number hijacking?

Joe
Magicjack reseller
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sbw07
MagicJack Contributor


Joined: 01 Jan 2008
Posts: 74

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does using this method make MJ a truly portable app? Meaning if I run it from a flash drive on a new computer will there be any files written to the PC or its registry?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
johnnyboy
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbw07 wrote:
Does using this method make MJ a truly portable app? Meaning if I run it from a flash drive on a new computer will there be any files written to the PC or its registry?

That remains to be seen.
However, we have seen that magicJack relies heavily on the registry. I did a search of the registry for 'magicjack' and turned up 80-some entries. Seeing that, I would believe magicJack needs to set up with its registry entries.
We also must keep in mind that magicJack must pass the serial number of the dongle in order to set itself up on your computer.
So... what I did is create a new partition on my harddrive and assigned it the same serial number as I retrieved from the dongle. Keep in mind that the serial number the OS displays may be erroneous. Certain partition managers will show something different.
Likewise, one can treat a flash drive the name as a harddrive blah blah blah but the fact remains that the sotware has to setup.
So I would say no, but you can try it and see what happens.
I think I can say confidently MJ by this means is portable provided it is permitted to set up. But keep the dongle accessible in case of upgrades, etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sbw07
MagicJack Contributor


Joined: 01 Jan 2008
Posts: 74

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnyboy wrote:
so run it the first time with the dongle plugged in but make sure the processes have been stopped first, and you will be asked to log in by providing your email address and password.


I followed your instructions, & my MJ is up and running without the dongle, but I wasn't asked to login.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
johnnyboy
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbw07 wrote:
johnnyboy wrote:
so run it the first time with the dongle plugged in but make sure the processes have been stopped first, and you will be asked to log in by providing your email address and password.


I followed your instructions, & my MJ is up and running without the dongle, but I wasn't asked to login.

Great, thanks.
I was wondering about that
Was thinking maybe if it is used a bit first it'll have all its files and registry set up and will take care of itself...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pismire
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 13 Feb 2008
Posts: 26

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works great. Thanks for the tip!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LisaD
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: why??? Reply with quote

I think I can say confidently MJ by this means is portable provided it is permitted to set up. But keep the dongle accessible in case of upgrades, etc.[/quote]


If it is working without dongle, then why even try to update it..flying solo is the best!!
Plus if it ain't broke...don't fix it...
The no choice update installed on my MJ and now its crappy..was fine before..anyone know how to install the older drivers?? I tried and checked the version it was still the newer crappy one...must not be possible to downgrade to the older functionable update..... Crying or Very sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
johnnyboy
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: why??? Reply with quote

[quote="LisaD"]

Quote:
If it is working without dongle, then why even try to update it..flying solo is the best!!
Plus if it ain't broke...don't fix it...
The no choice update installed on my MJ and now its crappy..was fine before..anyone know how to install the older drivers?? I tried and checked the version it was still the newer crappy one...must not be possible to downgrade to the older functionable update..... Crying or Very sad

You have a very good point there...
As for your drivers and update, I have no idea what could be going on there
I had to plug in only once for an upgrade, and that was only on one machine
that upgrade hasn't changed the quality at all...
I haven't noticed and upgrades or updates on my other machines
But the drivers...?
most likely won't be able to downgrade since the software is automatically updated when connected...
sorry, maybe try cleaning out the software and/or registry and re-install
by the way, did you copy the folders again after the update?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LisaD
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: why??? Reply with quote

[quote="johnnyboy"][quote="LisaD"]

Quote:

most likely won't be able to downgrade since the software is automatically updated when connected...
sorry, maybe try cleaning out the software and/or registry and re-install
by the way, did you copy the folders again after the update?


The actual updated version is on the dongle...the drive won't accept the older version update, I think the file that gets changed on dongle is read only, the autorun.exe located on the MJ dongle. still searching around for the answer I appreciate the responce!

also you cannot delete the autorun.exe off the dongle..I tried unlocking the file and use unlocker program. no luck. Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
magicod
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where is this folder? mjusbsp

I can't find that one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me


Joined: 27 Feb 2008
Posts: 701

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this (Windows XP): c:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\Application Data\mjusbsp

In my case, YOUR NAME is actually Compaq_Owner, if that helps.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
r_pimpn
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 15 Aug 2008
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it, it works (ed) awesome until today. I started mj no dongle tonight and now it asks me to activate it. I deleted the files and recopied them but still a no go. Anyone else having this problem? Oh and yes I did open mj no dongle with the mj in for the first time after recopy.
Thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
magicod
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using Vista I found that folder in \Application Data\Roaming\

Works like a charm now. Thanks!

Darkman90808 wrote:
Try this (Windows XP): c:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME\Application Data\mjusbsp

In my case, YOUR NAME is actually Compaq_Owner, if that helps.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
johnnyboy
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r_pimpn wrote:
I love it, it works (ed) awesome until today. I started mj no dongle tonight and now it asks me to activate it. I deleted the files and recopied them but still a no go. Anyone else having this problem? Oh and yes I did open mj no dongle with the mj in for the first time after recopy.
Thanks.

it might have done an upgrade
copy the folders again and initiate it again with the dongle plugged in, just like you did the first time.
otherwise, if all you have to do is put your email address and password then do that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gadgetshrink
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 24 Aug 2008
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once this is done, can you still plug in the dongle and use a traditional phone as well?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sbw07
MagicJack Contributor


Joined: 01 Jan 2008
Posts: 74

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gadgetshrink wrote:
Once this is done, can you still plug in the dongle and use a traditional phone as well?


To do that you'll have to shut down MJ and restart it with your old command (i.e. pointing the command to the actual MJ drive letter instead of the location of the copied files). EDIT- This info is incorrect, see following posts.


Last edited by sbw07 on Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gadgetshrink
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 24 Aug 2008
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbw07 wrote:
gadgetshrink wrote:
Once this is done, can you still plug in the dongle and use a traditional phone as well?


To do that you'll have to shut down MJ and restart it with your old command (i.e. pointing the command to the actual MJ drive letter instead of the location of the copied files).


Thanks for the reply! I actually just gave it a go and copied all the files, etc. I got MJ working fine without the dongle. I then plugged in the dongle and MJ loaded everything from the dongle, plugged in the phone to the jack, and it worked without a hitch. I then unplugged the dongle and tested without -- worked fine! (If anyone else tries this, make sure you rename you MJ shortcut to something other than the default 'magicJack.' As when you plug in the dongle, it gets overwritten.)

This is perfect because I like to use the same computer in my office with a regular phone and on the road with just the bluetooth headset and no annoying dongle hanging out.

Thanks for all the help contributors to this thread! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sbw07
MagicJack Contributor


Joined: 01 Jan 2008
Posts: 74

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected.

It seems that you have Autoplay enabled, which is why your shortcut would get overwritten when plugging in the dongle.
However, even with Autoplay disabled, I was able to start MJ from the copied files (both the mjusbsp folder and the dongle's folder are copied) and yet when I plug in the dongle I'm able to switch to telephone mode.

(As an aside, I just realized that even when in Headset mode you can use the phone if it's connected, and picking up the phone transfers the audio from your headset device to the phone. This applies whether using MJ straight from the dongle or as described above.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
askfault
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the awesome tip!! I was concerned that the dongle would get broken sticking out all the time. Sure, I don't have a blue night light anymore, but I'm sure I'll be able to live without it. I'm also dying to try out having someone collect call me so I can accept the charges that won't have anywhere to be sent!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ktg
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 02 Sep 2008
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy way to use magicJack without usb dongle... Reply with quote

johnnyboy wrote:
Here's how to use the magicJack service without plugging in the dongle...

1.plug in the magicJack dongle
2.copy the "magicJack" folder from the magicJack drive to a drive on the harddrive
for example, "C:\magicJack\"
3.[optional, but so it would be available for any user, and easier to access] copy the
"mjusbsp folder somewhere else
for example, "C:\mjusbsp\"
4.if no shortcut to magicJackLoader.exe, make one
5.open the properties page for the shortcut (right-click shortcut...properties)
6.replace the "Target" entry with:
"C:\mjusbsp\magicJack.exe" /foreground /scf _magicJackPersonalDataRoot "C:\magicJack"
(using drive letters for the drives the folders were copied to)
(notice the use of "magicJack.exe" rather than "magicJackLoader.exe"
7.put "C:\mjusbsp" in the "Start in" entry
8.using msconfig, disable the "cdloader2" entry in the Startup tab

start magicJack from the shortcut

for updates, plug in the dongle periodically to let updates occur and re-copy the folders...



Can someone pls clarify steps 2,3 and 4? I have my magicjack plugged into the pc and when i open my computer, i see two MJ icons. so which one do i select to copy to the hardrive? Also, i dont see any files right now on the two icons especially the mjusbsp folder as well. thanks for your help. btw, another question is how do i see what version s/w my mj is running?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
johnnyboy
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy way to use magicJack without usb dongle... Reply with quote

ktg wrote:
johnnyboy wrote:
Here's how to use the magicJack service without plugging in the dongle...

1.plug in the magicJack dongle
2.copy the "magicJack" folder from the magicJack drive to a drive on the harddrive
for example, "C:\magicJack\"
3.[optional, but so it would be available for any user, and easier to access] copy the
"mjusbsp folder somewhere else
for example, "C:\mjusbsp\"
4.if no shortcut to magicJackLoader.exe, make one
5.open the properties page for the shortcut (right-click shortcut...properties)
6.replace the "Target" entry with:
"C:\mjusbsp\magicJack.exe" /foreground /scf _magicJackPersonalDataRoot "C:\magicJack"
(using drive letters for the drives the folders were copied to)
(notice the use of "magicJack.exe" rather than "magicJackLoader.exe"
7.put "C:\mjusbsp" in the "Start in" entry
8.using msconfig, disable the "cdloader2" entry in the Startup tab

start magicJack from the shortcut

for updates, plug in the dongle periodically to let updates occur and re-copy the folders...



Can someone pls clarify steps 2,3 and 4? I have my magicjack plugged into the pc and when i open my computer, i see two MJ icons. so which one do i select to copy to the hardrive? Also, i dont see any files right now on the two icons especially the mjusbsp folder as well. thanks for your help. btw, another question is how do i see what version s/w my mj is running?


re step 2: righ-click the folders, click properties, choose the one that says ''PHONE". Should be the second one.
re step 3: the mjusbsp folder is: c:/documents and settings/[folder that is your user name]/mjusbsp/
re step 4: the shortcut that appeared on your desktop as magicJack
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sbw07
MagicJack Contributor


Joined: 01 Jan 2008
Posts: 74

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy way to use magicJack without usb dongle... Reply with quote

johnnyboy wrote:
re step 3: the mjusbsp folder is: c:/documents and settings/[folder that is your user name]/mjusbsp/


Make that c:/documents and settings/[folder that is your user name]/application data/mjusbsp/

For Vista it's: C:\Users\[folder that is your user name]\AppData\Roaming\mjusbsp
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
johnnyboy
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy way to use magicJack without usb dongle... Reply with quote

sbw07 wrote:
johnnyboy wrote:
re step 3: the mjusbsp folder is: c:/documents and settings/[folder that is your user name]/mjusbsp/


Make that c:/documents and settings/[folder that is your user name]/application data/mjusbsp/

For Vista it's: C:\Users\[folder that is your user name]\AppData\Roaming\mjusbsp

oh, sorry, thanks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ktg
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 02 Sep 2008
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Easy way to use magicJack without usb dongle... Reply with quote

[quote="johnnyboy"]
sbw07 wrote:
johnnyboy wrote:
re step 3: the mjusbsp folder is: c:/documents and settings/[folder that is your user name]/mjusbsp/


Make that c:/documents and settings/[folder that is your user name]/application data/mjusbsp/

For Vista it's: C:\Users\[folder that is your user name]\AppData\Roaming\mjusbsp


I am using xp and the "application data" folder does not exist. therefore the mjusbsp folder as well. am i supposed to create this folder? sorry for the nood questions.

also, how do i check what version software the magicjack is at now? Thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sbw07
MagicJack Contributor


Joined: 01 Jan 2008
Posts: 74

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ktg- you need to allow hidden folders to be shown. To do that:
1. Click Start
2. Open My Computer
3. Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options
4. Select the View Tab
5. Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders
6. Click Yes to confirm
7. Click OK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ktg
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 02 Sep 2008
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbw07 wrote:
ktg- you need to allow hidden folders to be shown. To do that:
1. Click Start
2. Open My Computer
3. Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options
4. Select the View Tab
5. Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders
6. Click Yes to confirm
7. Click OK


Thanks sbw07 and all in this forum. Very Happy I can now see those foldersand will try this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Powered by phpBB Ultra Turbo Extended Edition Live © 2001-9999, phpBB Group
magicJack and magicJack Plus are trademarks of magicJack LLP. This website is in no way affiliated, endorsed, or sponsored by magicJack LLP, and is an unofficial forum for consumers to openly communicate regarding their experiences with the magicJack products.