magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MagicJack Plus other party cannot hear me! Help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krakor
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: MagicJack Plus other party cannot hear me! Help! Reply with quote

Just spent the last hour online with MJ support and got cut off. When I make a call on the MJ Plus, the other party cannot hear me but I can hear them. This has been going on for 2 days now.

Any ideas?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
19Michael62
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: incoming calls not received Reply with quote

This is happening to me too. People try to call us and say it went straight to voice mail. Or the phone does ring on our end, we pick up, and they can hear us, but we cannot hear them. Very frustrating. A rep on the phone had us reset something about how the modem or computer prioritizes bandwidth and that helped for a while, but we must need to do it again and the rep I called today had no idea what I was talking about, and I don't recall all the directions we were given !!!
mh1983
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How exactly did you call a rep? Doesn't MJ only provide online chat support?
19Michael62
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: online support Reply with quote

Ok, so it was online live chat. I guess after a while you think you are speaking. You "get to know" the person after 2 hours of him making me test this and test that. Finally, after 1 hr 45 min, he gets around to telling me we are going to change my router settings to prioritize the MJ+ AND then we get cut off, just as that started and it was time for me to go to work... DAMN.
cricket21
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: other party can't hear me Reply with quote

I have also been having this problem. It has also been happening for about two days. I've restarted everything but so far nothing. Any clues?
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A router's MAC ID, IP address, or "service" or "program"-type "priority-setting" - commonly called "QoS" (for "Quality of Service" - which is a misnomer, by the way) merely controls the router's priority of OUTGOING data streams. Consequently - especially if you experience this problem when you're not using any other computer, program or LAN-connected device other than a MJ at the time - setting a router's "QoS" (Quality of Service) to "give priority" to MJ will NOT fix the problem of you hearing someone but they not hearing you (or the reverse).

The MJ+ device, when connected directly to your router, is designed to AUTOMATICALLY "open" and "close" your router's "ports" that it needs to function properly. OCCASIONALLY MJ will change the ports that its devices use, so try to connect your MJ+ to an Internet-connected computer once in a while to make sure that its software is up-to-date.

When this problem occurs, there's a *remote* possibility that there is something else wrong with your router, its other settings, or your MJ+. It is even *theoretically possible* that the problem exists with your Internet service itself. But FAR more and MOST likely - like, say, 99% of the time - the problem exists somewhere within the MJ servers or phone network. It can even be a MJ-based "codec" problem. Obviously, if your MJ service was working properly and then suddenly you started experiencing this problem and in the meantime did not alter your router settings, the problem most likely is NOT with your router or modem. In other words, 99% of the time it is NOT a problem with your LAN equipment and therefor not a problem that *you* can fix at home.

(BTW - unless "hit" by really bad power surges or other severe power fluctuations, most MODEMS will last practically indefinitely. Most home ROUTER'S Ethernet-connected circuits also have very long lifespans, but most home routers' built-in *wireless two-way radios* have a lifespan of only about 5 years, sometimes even as little as 2 years.)

So FIRST do a couple of things - a) Make sure that your router's installed firmware is up to date, b) make sure that your router's settings are correct (every make and model of router is a bit different, so search around for the info); c) read through the other topics/discussions on this board for others' previous posts about this problem; d) when connected to its a.c. power adapter and your router via a GOOD Ethernet cable, inspect the MJ+'s FOUR LEDs to determine if your MJ+ is operating properly; e) be sure to use a GOOD Ethernet cable with your MJ+ (NOT the crappy one included with the MJ+); and f) be SURE to connect the MJ+ using the PROPER PROCEDURE (i.e., connecting it to its a.c. adapter as the LAST step).

OCCASIONALLY you may find that disconnecting the MJ+ from its power adapter, powering down your modem and router, then powering up your modem, then powering up your router, then reconnecting the MJ+ to its power adapter may improve functioning.

ASSUMING you've done all of this and your MJ+ otherwise appears to be operating properly, do the following:

1. Try to determine if the problem exists only when you call someone else, only when others call you, or both when you call out and receive calls, and which numbers - and their associated telephone companies - that you connect with seem to be most affected. Then write up - in a text/word processor - a COMPLETE description of the problem and all of the related info, state that your MJ device, router and modem all appear to be working properly and that your router is opening and closing the required ports properly, that you conclude that the problem exists within MJ's servers and/or network, and end by stating that they need to forward the problem on to their "engineers" for resolution.

2. Go online into your MJ account, start a "live help chat," copy/paste your write-up into the chat and "send" it.

3. If they keeping repeating that you should do this or that with your router's settings, just state that you already did it and RE-paste your prepared text into the chat and send it. REPEAT this until they agree to forward the problem on to their "engineers."

4. Keep in mind that eventual resolution of the problem at MJ's end can take a VERY long time - often up to a month, sometimes even longer. So be prepared for this possibility, as it will test your patience.

If all of this isn't worth it to you, start looking for an alternate telephone service; you may pay more but may suffer far less aggravation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: