magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ram problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captcurt
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Ram problems Reply with quote

GE All:

Having trouble with my t5700 and MJ.

All was working fine with the 5700 1GB 512/256 for several months. Then there was a MJ update and now the system wouldn't boot.

So I decided to upgrade to 512M of RAM.

I started all over and rebuilt the XPe install according to instructions using the old 256MB of RAM and all worked as it should..no issues. MJ not yet installed.

BUT...When I installed the 512MB SODIMM, the TC won't boot. Kingston 200pin SODIMM PC3200S UNB nonecc suppossed to be backward compatible with PC2700. it says CL 3.0 on the module. But it wont fully boot. Hangs at different places before XP finishes. Setup shows the correct amount of RAM.

So..I tried another one. Apacer, PC2700 CL 2.5 UNB. this one wont even get to set-up. Hangs on the HP screen. IF I hold TAB and restart, it shows the post screen and says MEM OK but will not continue.

The Kingston module was NOS, tested. The Apacer was a pull but tested OK?

Any ideas? Are these things really that particular about memory or am I missing something?

Thanks
Curt
oldtimercurt
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall the specifics but I seem to remember that the TC doesn't like certain brands of RAM. You should be able to search for it.

OTC
Thunder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using PNY PC2700 Optima 512 with no problems.
captcurt
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: RAM Spec Reply with quote

If the HP TC is so touchy that the brand of memory can make it not work, why is the best advice in the BIG SICKIES above recommend PC2700 memory when the original HP optional memory upgrade was specified as PC2100?

I know that generally, this would not be an issue. Indeed it isn't for my Dell laptop that seems to run the Kingston 512 module just fine. The dell is speced for PC2100 also like the T5700 but the same Kingston PC3200 module that runs fine in the Dell will not work in the TC.

So what part of the spec is it that causes the problem...?

I guess for now, I'm going to get one of the "Guaranteed to function in a TC" modules and try that.

Curt
Diggs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boot in to the thin client's BIOS and look around. I have no idea what is in your BIOS but as I remember, my t5710 had some variables for memory timings, parity, etc. There may options to explore in the BIOS.
captcurt
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Diggs..

Yes I would hve thought there would be some memory params in the BIOS menues but there are none there. It just tells how much RAM is found..nothing on type or timing or anything like that.

I have a PC2100 CL 2.5 module coming...I'll see what it does.. it is certified to work in the T5700.

If no go, I might see about updating the BIOS..

I think I'm getting close and plan to use the thumbdrive set-up for the MJ repository.

Thanks

Curt
captcurt
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the new Samsung 512MB PC2100 266MHz, CL2.5 module works fine.

I don't get why a PC2700 wont run but thre RAM issue is now solved.

THanks

Curt
Diggs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captcurt wrote:
Well the new Samsung 512MB PC2100 266MHz, CL2.5 module works fine.

I don't get why a PC2700 wont run but thre RAM issue is now solved.

Things that make you go hmmmm?

Glad it worked out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Tricks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: